Collection of HHC programming contests and other useful documents
09-22-2018, 11:51 PM
RE: Collection of HHC programming contests and other useful documents
To be fair, between the two of us that only represents about 31 downloads of my site over 9 months, so I still maintain that there is very little interest.

As a result, I won't be updating the torrent again until 2019-01-01; I think once-a-year updates are sufficient.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2018, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2018 05:59 PM by pier4r.)
update 201809 released with delay.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:6c7a3ffe2ff90942f1d5348ff5fe94191d6cbaab&dn=hp_calc_torrent_u201809

All the info: first post -> http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9090.html

As usual, suggestions about what to include and the rest are welcomed.

Code:

- 2018-10-20
  u201809
  -notes:
  . big slow down in releases and searching for contents. Life happens although the point is to
    keep in mind a project to give some time slots every now and then.
    In the meanwhile Eric Reichlin just showed the world how awesomeness seems limitless.
    Not only he cared for hpcalc.org, that is a huge goldmine of information about some HP
    calculators. He also made the torrents containing the info
    of other places where the hp calculator community discuss and add contributions
    plus he is providing archives of old websites and mirrors of existing large forum.
    As I said, it is difficult to find superlatives for Eric (and of course all the others
    that created the content that Eric is saving).

I (pier4r) on my side do a little, although suggestions from others are also lacking.
    No worries though, quality builds slowly over time. I am pretty sure that slowly the community
    will collect what can be collected that is worth it.

"We do what we must, because we can" - Glados running on a little calculator.
  . added documents about the hhc 2018 and some resources mentioned in forum discussions.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
07-28-2019, 07:17 PM
Quick update. Actually I collected some more material (although not as much as before, also because suggestions are lacking) but in those days my NAS (a qnap TS 431 P) lost an hard drive, so I have to first solve that then I may find the time to release the next update.

For this the p2p is gold. Even in the case I lose my content, I can hope to download it again. A shared backup.

08-08-2019, 02:14 AM
I rebuilt my file server sometime ago and realized recently that I was not running Transmission (my torrent client of choice) to support serving these files.

As there is only one peer, and I will soon be the second, we need more!!

Try CC41!
08-08-2019, 02:41 AM
Correction, two peers!

Try CC41!
08-08-2019, 03:54 PM
I've been seeding most of the torrents for about a year, but my Internet connection is unfortunately only 5 Mbps so I can't help much.

AT&T has fiber on the poles right by my house that should get me 1 Gbps like you can get everywhere else in the city, but for whatever reason, they don't recognize any address on my specific block as valid for fiber. So my block and my block alone is stuck in the 20th century.
08-09-2019, 01:05 AM
Municipal fiber is probably 2-4 years away for me in my town, some neighborhoods are being installed this year. For now I have 40 mbit down, 5 mbit up.

Try CC41!
08-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Fibre is just a pipe dream for most people in the UK. We have one of the worst broadband networks in the world and most people have to make do with ADSL with around 4 megabits/s downlink and maybe 1/10th that uplink. Some more rural areas don't even have that.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
08-11-2019, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2019 07:13 PM by pier4r.)
(08-08-2019 02:41 AM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  Correction, two peers!

My Nas lost the disk with the torrents (raid 1! 1 disk died and for the other slot got the sata connector defective) . So I have mine (the hpcalc torrents) but I have to redownload the others (hp41, hpcalc.org and so on).

Also for such files, that actually should be always be around, rather than "download, remove from the torrent client", the speed doesn't matter much. Eventually it will be downloaded.

The situation is
https://i.imgur.com/WpVh6Cq.png

08-13-2019, 12:49 PM
(08-09-2019 07:53 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Fibre is just a pipe dream for most people in the UK. We have one of the worst broadband networks in the world and most people have to make do with ADSL with around 4 megabits/s downlink and maybe 1/10th that uplink.
Or, for anyone interested in a slightly more informed analysis, see here:
UK Home Broadband Performance
08-17-2019, 08:10 PM
There are plenty of people that should be thanked for their work of assembling or digitalizing or keeping around stuff about hp calculators, calculators, technology and knowledge in general.

Only I wanted to leave a line to thank SlideRule, who for months is leaving here and there links to a lot of papers, articles and resources related to hp calculators and they* are not frustrated by the lack of response of many of their posts (thing that frustrates a lot of people nowadays). SlideRule I appreciate your efforts and I am impressed. Quality builds really over time, although silently.

* not knowing the gender

08-17-2019, 10:53 PM
You're welcome!
I'm not quite half way through my existing archives: hardest part is finding current &/or updated links/urls/etc for many of the remaining publications.

BEST!
SlideRule
10-06-2019, 06:44 PM
Small update

update 201810

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:ee8c8856fa2bd0df08a8d8844c97eb70b35f4d34&dn=hp_calc_torrent_u201910

All the info: first post -> http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9090.html

As usual, suggestions about what to include and the rest are welcomed.

Code:

- 2019-10-05
  u201910
  Life happens even more. Too many interests, too little time and discipline,
  running behind several interests is not helpful to reach any high point.
  I should learn the lesson one day. Interests are a matter of priorities,
  and if one has little time (being occupied by work related things over 60h per week
  plus social interactions) some interests may unfortunately slip in the background.

I am not following the hp forum as I wish I would. I have to read the last
  weeks/months. As usual, damn myself. I could do better, as in "stop, reflect
  on what you want to focus, apply the focus".

Anyway, aside from the dirgression. This update brings a little due to (a)
  my lack of work and (b) chronic lack of suggestions. One could extract links
  and attachment from the hp forum and other places, but it takes time and focus
  that at the moment I don't have.

Thus collected some hp 41 related documents, calc/math related documentes and
  hp 9100 related documents.
- 2019-02-07
  adding 9100 scans from http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-12377.html
  due to life happenings and slower updates, decided to collect updates for
  each 6 months. They can always revert to monthly ones.
  Therefore the next one will be 2019H1 (2019 half no 1) and
  there may be a second called 2019H2.

Question. Where the hhc2019 contest uploaded somewhere? With a brief search I didn't find them. Thanks for your help.

10-06-2019, 11:40 PM
(10-06-2019 06:44 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Question. Where the hhc2019 contest uploaded somewhere? With a brief search I didn't find them. Thanks for your help.

2019 HHC Programming Contest

Try CC41!
03-26-2020, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2020 06:54 PM by pier4r.)
Magnet URI in the first page updated, as I had finally the time (after months !) to fix a bit my homelab.

Now I am redownloading and sharing the hpcalc and hp41 torrents (info: https://www.hpcalc.org/torrents/ )

Once again suggestions are welcomed and I hope somewhen to have more time. The backlog of things I want to do and threads to read is getting again too large. Sad sob.

Oh yes, please stay healthy (stay at home, keep moving, eat healthy) in the times of covid 19. Impressive what is happing in the world, not even fiction could describe this.

03-29-2020, 06:59 PM
A question for eric, regarding the torrents shared here: https://www.hpcalc.org/torrents/

I downloaded them again but it seems that in the torrents the DHT and the peer exchange are deactivated. Only trackers are activated. (to see those options: right click on the entry in the torrent client, then properties or settings)

I cannot force to activate them unless I create a new torrent, making a duplicate with another hash.

Those two options are the core of a p2p distribution. Trackers are like a telephone book but if they go down or they are unreachable, peers won't find each other. And I notice this indeed because sometimes the trackers aren't reachable from my client. This leads to see "no activity" because the others cannot connect, even if they would like to.

Could the DHT and peer exchange be activated? At best even the "local peer discovery".

Normal torrents (the one I collect in this thread for example) have the options activated.

03-29-2020, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2020 07:48 PM by Eric Rechlin.)
I don't know what that means. I am very unfamiliar with torrents in general. If I need to remake the torrents, if you could walk me through the steps necessary with uTorrent I can do it. When I made the existing torrents I just left the defaults on things and assumed that would be fine; I guess I was wrong.

As you can see, "Enable DHT" and "Local Peer Discovery" are disabled in the properties:

[Image: IDT2Cjv.png]
08-05-2020, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2020 12:42 PM by pier4r.)
(03-29-2020 07:41 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  When I made the existing torrents I just left the defaults on things and assumed that would be fine; I guess I was wrong.

As you can see, "Enable DHT" and "Local Peer Discovery" are disabled in the properties:

[Image: IDT2Cjv.png]

The defaults are fine as long as the trackers works but over time trackers disappear so the DHT is crucial, if on the forum there is a magnet link, because then the client - slowly - will find its way to the file.

Please enable every option in the "other settings" in the next release, if you can.

Meanwhile my little system with torrent died and the wasps tried to make a nest near it, because it is in a cabinet on the balcony. As soon as it doesn't work it is not warm enough to keep bugs away!

I'll try to fix it but it may take some time as - as you may noticed - I have in general very little time since 2019 (too many interest, too little time and kids/other people. Kids first!). The torrent will come back and I hope I will announce it. I miss the time when I went through the forum reading all the unread posts. Well I hope it will get back and as I read - at the time - the existing 76 pages of topics in general (well, ignoring threads with unappealing titles), I hope to do it again soon.

Stay safe and enjoy the forum/discussions also on my behalf!

PS: yes I know I have a lot of threads to update, at least those about benchmarks and list/vector processing and userRPL. They can still grow and then hopefully i will catch up with the updates.

09-18-2020, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2020 07:27 PM by pier4r.)
In the past I would have fixed the problems in my homelab in a week at most, maybe two. Nowadays with other priorities (the time is the same, the skill is smilar, the priorities change) I took some months.

Anyway at least it happened. The files are again there, at least from me, and I slowly share again the files from the hpcalc.org collection as well. The first post is updated. Nonetheless many of those files have "broken" trackers and it seems it takes time to find peers on the DHT with the files.

For the rest I still have to catch up with what you all write and publish. Please don't stop because somewhen (I hope soon) I'd like to read a lot of interesting things!

Ah yes, as usual suggestions to what to include (if not to me, to Eric and his hpcalc.org collection) are welcomed!

10-04-2020, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2020 06:14 PM by pier4r.)
After waiting some weeks, the hpcalc torrent didn't find any peer and the DHT was disabled. Thus I got the data through the static servers and created alternative torrents with the DHT enabled. I hope it may help someone.

See the first post for info. If Hpcalc torrent enables the DHT, we can drop this alternative and share the original. This because the original trackers, at least from my network, do not work and thus one gets no peers.

(Why alternative? Because unfortunately every torrent is more or less unique, unless the data is exactly the same, when there are a lot of file, it can happen that something diverges)

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)