Help ID a vintage HP calculator part
09-14-2017, 07:36 PM
Help ID a vintage HP calculator part
Hello. I hope this type of post is allowed. Please forgive me if it is not.

I have tried for a long time to identify this part, with no success. Many years ago, I sold my father's HP 97, so I thought it might have something to do with that as it seemed to be about the same age. But try as I might, I haven't been able to find another one like this in google search, Ebay listings, or in the HP museum.

Thanks for looking and sincere apologies if this post is inappropriate for this forum.

[Image: hp1.jpg]

[Image: hp2.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2017, 05:20 AM
RE: Help ID a vintage HP calculator part
That looks like a charging cradle for the battery packs used in the HP hand held classic models (HP-35, 45, 55, 65, 67, 80).

Picture of a classic battery compartment with polarity marked (~22K)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-15-2017, 05:23 AM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 05:24 AM by BarryT.)
Hmmm,
.. Does this have a power port\socket somewhere on the back side of it? Any numbers?

Given the two little prongs showing in the picture, (which look remarkably like the contact points for a battery pack), my "guess" is that this is an external charging bay for a secondary battery.

Soooo, you'd be using battery A in the calculator, while battery B is charging in this nifty little device while you're using the calculator.
09-15-2017, 06:00 AM
Indeed it is a reserve power pack charger to charge battery packs of the Classic calculator series (HP-35....HP-80) outside the calculator. Product number is HP82004A. It is supplied through a Classic wallplug charger.

There was a reserve power pack charger for HP-97, too. But it has a different shape as batteries for HP-97 are much bigger and have a different contacts scheme.
09-15-2017, 11:31 AM
(09-14-2017 07:36 PM)susanfy Wrote:  I have tried for a long time to identify this part... I haven't been able to find another one like this in ... Ebay listings...

From TAS, the following links: Hewlett Packard 82004A Reserve Power Pack Charging Case & HP Reserve Power Pack.
This item shows up with regularity on TAS with a $50-$75 bid range.

BEST!
SlideRule
09-15-2017, 11:36 PM
You all are terrific. Thank you kindly. This thing has been setting on my desk, laughing at me, for years now, and I finally know what it isSmile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)