begin
  if dim(ifactors(X))=={2} then
    return true;
  else
    return false;
  end;
end;

dim(ifactors(7))

returns {2} but when I call is_prime(7), I get Error: Bad argument type.

I tried with both upper and lowercase X and I tried the 2 both in and out of braces.

What am I doing wrong?

Tom L

I never knew my mother was such an animal lover. When the doctor told her the rabbit died, she went into shock!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2017, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2017 07:32 PM by Helge Gabert.)
RE: ifactors Test Problem
Try storing DIM(ifactors(X)) into a list, say L1, and then try

IF L1(1) == 2 THEN . . .

Works here.

(This is because, in Home, a statement like {2}=={2} returns {1}, not 1).

But aside from that, why do you test DIM(ifactors(X))? That won't tell you if X is prime.
09-06-2017, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2017 07:09 PM by toml_12953.)
(09-06-2017 05:16 PM)Helge Gabert Wrote:  Try storing DIM(ifactors(X)) into a list, say L1, and then try

IF L1(1) == 2 THEN . . .

Works here.

(This is because, in Home, a statement like {2}=={2} returns {1}, not 1).

But aside from that, why do you test DIM(ifactors(X)? That won't tell you if X is prime.

I thought that if the length of the ifactors vector returns 2 then there are only two factors, the number itself and 1. I was wrong. The list doesn't include 1 so dim(ifactors(8)) would return 2 as well.

Tom L

I never knew my mother was such an animal lover. When the doctor told her the rabbit died, she went into shock!
09-06-2017, 07:10 PM
(09-06-2017 07:03 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  If the length of the ifactors vector returns 2 then there are only two factors, the number itself and 1. That means it's prime.

Are you doing this as a learning exercise? (I'll leave alone the issue with this method to figure prime for someone else)

The is already a function specifically for primes. Quite many in fact under the toolbox->CAS->Integer->Prime menu.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-06-2017, 07:10 PM
(09-06-2017 05:16 PM)Helge Gabert Wrote:  Try storing DIM(ifactors(X)) into a list, say L1, and then try

IF L1(1) == 2 THEN . . .

You can also use EQ to compare two lists :

IF EQ(DIM(ifactors(X)),{2}) THEN....

...but ifactors(8) returns [2 3]: factor 2, multiplicity 3, so it won't help you to identify prime numbers.
09-06-2017, 08:13 PM
Yeah, well, I'm not the OP and I never claimed that. Indeed,there are infinite cases of composite numbers which return {2} with this method.

I merely pointed out how to change the program to make it run, instead of coming up with the error message encountered by the OP.

EQ()is a good suggestion, however.
09-06-2017, 10:12 PM
(09-06-2017 07:10 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 07:03 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  If the length of the ifactors vector returns 2 then there are only two factors, the number itself and 1. That means it's prime.

Are you doing this as a learning exercise? (I'll leave alone the issue with this method to figure prime for someone else)

The is already a function specifically for primes. Quite many in fact under the toolbox->CAS->Integer->Prime menu.

Yes, I was just trying to come up with a function that didn't use the one from the menu. Thanks to all who answered my question!

Tom L

09-07-2017, 04:45 PM
I forgot to mention:

You could use TYPE(ifactor(number to test)).

For primes, should return 0. For composites, 8.

(Of course, ifactor could return 0 for certain integers in error).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)