HP 35s Battery Life
08-31-2017, 11:29 AM
HP 35s Battery Life
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. Having agonized over a choice between an 11C or 35S I finally settled for the 35S as an entry into the HP fold. The 11C is, in my personal opinion a better looking machine, but I felt the 35S would hold up to being transported around at work more reliably.

My question is regarding battery life, as an engineer I use my scientific calculator for about two hours a day most days of the week and looking at images online the 35S appears to use 2 x 2032 button batteries. Has anyone experienced issues with time between battery changes?

Still looking at online auctions for both an 11C and a 41CV purely for aesthetics and nostalgia I feel I need to have these in my life. Shallow I know but hey there it is.

Thanks

Mox
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2017, 12:22 PM
RE: HP 35s Battery Life
(08-31-2017 11:29 AM)Mox Wrote:  My question is regarding battery life, as an engineer I use my scientific calculator for about two hours a day most days of the week and looking at images online the 35S appears to use 2 x 2032 button batteries. Has anyone experienced issues with time between battery changes?

FWIW, I have been using the 35s since it was available in 2007, and with regular daily use the average interval between battery changes was about 1,5...2 years. Only in the first time with heavy use and lots of programming the batteries (the ones that came with the device) had to be replaced after a year. Today, with less regular use, my 35s still runs on batteries that have been changed 2,5 years ago.

Be sure to replace the batteries soon after the low battery warning appears in the upper right corner of the display, especially if you are running programs. The battery symbol is quite hard to see and can easily be overlooked.

Dieter
08-31-2017, 02:02 PM
Hi Dieter,

Thank you for the feedback, that has put my mind at rest. I wasn't overly concerned, however I hadn't used a full calculator with such batteries. It is a relief to know that there is a low power indicator as well.

Thanks again

Mox
08-31-2017, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2017 04:00 PM by Logan.)
I'm sure you'll read the manual but I'm pretty sure the 35S has a specific order the batteries should be changed in (and only one at a time), otherwise you'll lose your programs. And you might have to swap within 30 seconds or something. Don't quote me on that but I'd make sure I had a plan when it comes time to change the batteries!

I used it pretty solidly for 3 months while preparing for the PE. I never had to change the batteries, but didn't really use it after that.

By the way, if it's at all helpful, I did some brief tutorial videos on various functions on the 35s, might get you started quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...uIwYip8JUv
08-31-2017, 05:22 PM
There's no specific order, just one at a time.
08-31-2017, 08:55 PM
I bought HP 35s in 2012. I have changed the batteries twice.
09-01-2017, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all the help, and the point about battery installation, and also to Logan for the you tube video, I watched that before making my purchase, very informative. I will go back and like it!!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)