I was HPPC member back then
I wrote a HP simulator in FORTH which would run ALL the HP add on Pacs
at least 8 feet of bookshelf and several file drawers
please advise of best place to make deposit
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2017, 05:25 PM
RE: HP Archeves
(08-09-2017 04:58 PM)Wyrmrider Wrote:  I have a large collection of HP calculator archives from the 70's and 80's
I'm moving and they need a new home

HI and welcome.

I think that the best way to do this is list your items in the classified section of this forum. I am sure that you will have your collection find good homes.

I myself am very interested in HP calculators related books, but probably not all the books you have.

Warm Regards

JL
08-09-2017, 05:34 PM
Hello and welcome,

(08-09-2017 05:25 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I think that the best way to do this is list your items in the classified section of this forum. I am sure that you will have your collection find good homes.
I second that suggestion.

(08-09-2017 05:25 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I myself am very interested in HP calculators related books, but probably not all the books you have.
I am also very interested in what you may have, like the HPPC journals among other things.

Best regards,

Sylvain
08-09-2017, 06:34 PM
The issue with the books and manuals going to private collectors is that not all collectors are willing to share copies of their rare items.

I suggest that the archives go to collectors who are willing to share copies.
08-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Dave's comment receives my whole-hearted agreement!

Certainly people want the keep/have original manuals. Undoubtedly manuals exist which are not in MoHPC's manual collection.

Naturally some simply haven't thought of the "share-ability" of what they have. Others won't let loose until they die and then relatives may "what's this?" and it hits a trash can.
08-09-2017, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2017 07:31 PM by Duane Hess.)
I would also endorse the classifieds here.

The infamous "TAS" sight often has bargains; other times its name is "expense-Bay". In my opinion, frequently items selling with a low price were purchased by a reseller then reappear at unreachable prices to many. Granted everyone has to make a living....

However, people here will appreciate the items more.

Here items are often listed on a first-come, first served basis. I have benefited from such, but also was aware of coincidentally checking in shortly after listing. Typically I do not use the museum every day.

In my opinion, particularly if you have a large collection, considering a minimum waiting period before accepting offers would help awareness and possibly distribute equitably; whatever the latter means. Those who respond early are simply ignored.

I have purchased items here from a former HP employee, who lives in a larger city, and the check was made out to the local food bank. I'm sure he also desired someone who would appreciate his units. Would have to commend that person. You may or may not have similar levels of financial comfort.

Not trying to monopolize by you might consider:
- 1st come, 1st served
- minimum wait period before accepting offers
- will there be a minimum price? Do you want to announce a minimum price?
- take maximum offers, more money for you but either new/established collectors with lesser resources will be left out
- give preference to newbies
- give preference to those completing full collections
- each item has a number from 1 to 500; ties have: "number off", highest offer, maybe indications of who may appreciate item more
- personally, I would ask someone if they are a reseller. would have to take their word but forget them.

But the comments in previous posts makes it clear recipients here reflect "MoHPC the good homes people".
08-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Has anyone every thought about setting up an hpcalc specific section on archive.org?

If I am looking for an old book on FORTH, 6502, Commodore, Amiga, etc. I'll go there.

If I interpreted the OP correct, he's not asking where to sell stuff, hes asking where it can be archived and made available.

Seems like a community effort to get old books scanned and online would be worthwhile.
08-10-2017, 08:00 AM
(08-09-2017 05:25 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 04:58 PM)Wyrmrider Wrote:  I have a large collection of HP calculator archives from the 70's and 80's
I'm moving and they need a new home

HI and welcome.

I think that the best way to do this is list your items in the classified section of this forum. I am sure that you will have your collection find good homes.

I myself am very interested in HP calculators related books, but probably not all the books you have.

Warm Regards

JL

It sounded to me like he wanted to donate the materials to the museum.

Tom L
Cui bono?
08-10-2017, 08:45 PM
(08-10-2017 08:00 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  It sounded to me like he wanted to donate the materials to the museum.

In this case, we are essentially "the museum" as I don't think we can expect Dave to scan 8 feet of material. Better to donate it to some members who'll scan it for the museum.

Dave
08-10-2017, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 11:31 PM by Jlouis.)
(08-10-2017 08:45 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 08:00 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  It sounded to me like he wanted to donate the materials to the museum.

In this case, we are essentially "the museum" as I don't think we can expect Dave to scan 8 feet of material. Better to donate it to some members who'll scan it for the museum.

Dave

The problem, what I think Tom is telling us, is that the OP thought that this museum was a physical one, i.e. he didn't know that this is only an Internet museum, so he thought he could drop his documents in some place for be at exhibition in the museum.

I hope he doesn't bother in shipping perhaps hundreds of documents in the post office and taking his time choosing members and collecting their addresses.

Let's wait he appears again and share his thoughts.

One idea is one member of the community that lives near the OP be a volunteer to grab the documents and share them among us who are interested. The criteria of who should get one respective document or book must be discussed and agreeded.

If he lived in Rio, I would do that with pleasure.

Let's cross our fingers.

Cheers

JL
08-10-2017, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 11:48 PM by EugeneNine.)
I don't have the big fancy scanner I used in the past but do have an HP AIO with a sheet feeder, I could try scanning some docs/books again.

This is what I used in the past for the 48sx manuals https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/...dition=all
used for ~$100 isn't bad
08-11-2017, 02:13 AM
(08-10-2017 11:44 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  This is what I used in the past for the 48sx manuals https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/...dition=all
used for ~$100 isn't bad

Interesting looking machine; I was not familiar with it, but looking it up at HP Support reveals drivers are available only for Win-95, 98, NT, 2000, so it's suddenly less interesting.

--Bob Prosperi
08-11-2017, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2017 02:30 AM by EugeneNine.)
hmm, yeah, not listed as supported http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/sup...bined.html

It can function without drivers though. You load a stack of pages in, enter your e-mail address and a pdf comes in your e-mail.

Looks like any modern scanner can do pretty much the same though, the LJ pro 200 color MFP sitting beside me has the same functionality. I need to find a book to scan to see how well it works.
08-11-2017, 02:41 AM
Wyrmrider is in L.A., which is about 1 1/2 hours away from me and I've some scanning experience, over 6000 pages for the community. Just saying.

Dave
08-11-2017, 03:44 AM
(08-11-2017 02:41 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Wyrmrider is in L.A., which is about 1 1/2 hours away from me and I've some scanning experience, over 6000 pages for the community. Just saying.

Dave

Good news Dave, thanks to volunteer.

Now, if there's no one against, you could contact him, and if he agrees, we can discuss later the destinations of the originals.

P.S.: As we say in my country, I don't want to put the chariot ahead of the horses, but I'd love to have 71b and 97 originals manuals, very hard to find, I hope he has some.
08-11-2017, 06:38 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2017 06:39 AM by Duane Hess.)
Sometimes I wonder if my verbosity is needed. Must admit a donation didn't cross my mind. Would like to make some comments, obviously most repeats of previous posts; you've probably caught on to my need to blab.

Concur a donation is good for everyone. All manuals scanned & available on MoHPC before whatever disposition of the originals. An immediate published inventory then delivered to one/more people who can/have time to scan the documents in a reasonable time-frame. Someone (Dave F?) contacting the member ASAP in case he might have started disseminating.

Glad this subject came up. Have a small number of manuals not on MoHPC; don't have the facilities nor know how to scan them. Have no problem at all with others scanning them, other than wanting to know when I *WILL* get them back. Some are bound, so do not want them physically dismantaled. Just for future reference after Wyrmrider's manual situation has been resolved.
08-11-2017, 10:57 AM
The 48sx manuals were easy to scan as they are spiral bound so it was easy to unwrap the spiral and put it back afterward.

I believe most typical books you have to cut the binding otherwise they don't lay flat enough to scan. I've seen a technique where they clamped the book between a couple boards and used a bandsaw to cut the binding off. I'm not an expert in that field though so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I would like to see if there is any merit in contacting archive.org and see how/if they can do it as they have done a lot of other books/magazines.
08-11-2017, 07:26 PM
(08-11-2017 10:57 AM)EugeneNine Wrote:  I believe most typical books you have to cut the binding otherwise they don't lay flat enough to scan. I've seen a technique where they clamped the book between a couple boards and used a bandsaw to cut the binding off. I'm not an expert in that field though so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I would like to see if there is any merit in contacting archive.org and see how/if they can do it as they have done a lot of other books/magazines.

I have used my table saw to cut the binding from several books - works OK.

I have also used my DSLR to photograph pages - they don't have to be really flat, but the flatter the better. Various programs (PhotoShop Elements, in particular) will convert photo files to pdfs (albeit rather slowly for PSE at high resolution - even with i7 processor).
08-11-2017, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2017 10:35 PM by EugeneNine.)
The scanner can make pdf's within its firmware.

This is what I have now https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-...53/drivers

I just created an account on my mail server for it and set it up and it can scan and e-mail a pdf just like the old digital sender.
08-12-2017, 01:28 AM
(08-11-2017 10:57 AM)EugeneNine Wrote:  I've seen a technique where they clamped the book between a couple boards and used a bandsaw to cut the binding off. I'm not an expert in that field though so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a stack paper cutter. It's basically just a really sharp blade and a clamp. I can cut close to a ream of paper at once with it, so it's perfect for removing perfect bindings (groan...) with one pull of the lever.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)