HW for Free42: how low can you go? (in price terms)
08-08-2017, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2017 06:27 PM by Luigi Vampa.)
HW for Free42: how low can you go? (in price terms)
It is summer time in northern hemisphere, and my Kindle has been kidnapped by my kids (no pun intended) so that I have needed to search a new body to get Free42 reincarnated.
This time I wanted a more compact device, say phone-sized, and I found a $39.9 Android 7.0 phone last week, though it seems the manufacturer has just increased the price some points due to demand.
Any other options around that price or even below?

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2017, 06:33 PM
RE: HW for Free42: how low can you go? (in price terms)
I have about 100 old Palm PDAs (Tungsten E and others) and would be happy to give them away to anyone who has a use for them. Their batteries are almost certainly completely dead so would need replacement.

I suspect you can find old PDAs that run Free42 just fine at second hand shops that are *very* inexpensive.

(I used to work where users sent their Palm PDAs in for repair but they were merely replaced with new ones and the ones sent in were discarded. I was able to repair many and used them for years before finally getting a smart phone.)
08-08-2017, 06:50 PM
Very kind of you!
Although I was a Palm PDA user (Zire 71, Tungsten T, and Treo) I was thinking about new hardware, and Android seems to be the preferred (only?) choice when searching for 'a la cheapo' options. A new phone gives you not only a bigger screen, but also the option to play with the GPS-related commands in Free42 and a bona fide spare phone, just in case you run out of battery in your main phone, or it simply stops working/breaks/falls...

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
08-09-2017, 06:47 AM
Also, note that I don't support PalmOS (and Windows Mobile) any more. You can still get Free42 for those platforms, for example at http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=Free42, but while those old builds still work, they are several years out of date in terms of bug fixes and improvements. Check http://thomasokken.com/free42/history.html to make sure you're OK with that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2017, 07:11 AM
Which phone do you have?

Otherwise you can consider to pack a new smartphone with free42 and a couple more apps, it can be useful.

I am soon going to change my lenovo a816 (5'5 , 1gb ram, 8gb storage, 4 cpus - but the cpu on smartphones are monsters since years) for a lenovo k6 because the lenovo a816 does not have a properly configured default OS.

I will use the lenovo a816 as side device for free42, spotify, tunein radio, casting content on the chromecast, timers, maps, reading pdfs and so on. So it would carry quite a set of tools for me.

Of course I expect to put the free42 also on the new phone.

Otherwise the kindle itself (you talk about the tablet, right?) is quite cheap for what it can offer.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)