Pioneer Collection almost complete
07-09-2017, 08:14 PM
RE: Pioneer Collection almost complete
(07-09-2017 06:38 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  It seems unlikely HP would restart production a few years later in another country to only a produce a small number if units.

(07-09-2017 07:06 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Support units for the 42S were manufactured in Indonesia up to 2000 according to this thread.

Thanks for that Didier, sheds a pretty bright light on my assumptions.

Unlikely as it may have seemed to me, it appears that's exactly what happened.

This is more evidence of the chaos in HP's planning group at the time. Starting production in a totally new factory, just for very limited runs of warranty spare units of a certain model is at best reactionary and evidence of poor planning during the normal production run. I suppose it's possible far more 42S units failed than planned in the normal sparing calculations, but 2000 is already 4-5 years after normal production (with a 1-year warranty) ceased so something else was likely going on.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2017, 09:09 PM
(07-09-2017 06:38 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 05:57 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  No, 1999 earliest, Indonesia made no 42S in '89.

(07-09-2017 06:07 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  So my ID027*** one (built as a replacement unit) is a fake, not from 2000? :)

All sources I've found claim the 42S production ended in 1995 or 1996. It seems unlikely HP would restart production a few years later in another country to only a produce a small number if units.

Seems much more likely that the backs of 42S units with such dates are likely from cases of later machines used in homebuilt repairs.

@Massimo - how can you tell it was built as a replacement unit?

Maybe because it is in its brown cardboard box? ;)

I knew we've already been here...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2017, 09:48 PM
(07-09-2017 09:09 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Maybe because it is in its brown cardboard box? Wink

I wonder if the extra price a collector will pay for the original box extends to plain brown cardboard boxes? If so, it's just possible I have some replacement units too...

Interesting thread, I never found/read that. Thx for the link. Any idea how Iqbal could know for a fact that ID027 was the last batch made?

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
07-10-2017, 06:46 AM
(07-09-2017 09:48 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 09:09 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Maybe because it is in its brown cardboard box? Wink

I wonder if the extra price a collector will pay for the original box extends to plain brown cardboard boxes? If so, it's just possible I have some replacement units too...

Doubtful. That box only carries HP marks and stickers. The unit is NIB with replacement manual (the one with generic cover picture, not 42 specific) in italian.

(07-09-2017 09:48 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Interesting thread, I never found/read that. Thx for the link. Any idea how Iqbal could know for a fact that ID027 was the last batch made?

No, sorry Bob.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)