HP Prime with high contrast keypad?
06-28-2017, 08:55 PM
HP Prime with high contrast keypad?
Greetings,

I am getting ready to buy my 2nd HP Prime and was wondering if HP fixed the poor,
low contrast light blue and orange against ivory on the keypad.

It's the only thing I don't like about the HP Prime (I'm 62 years old so that may have something to do with).

I'll get another HP Prime either way but wanted to check if they have improved the keypad contrast so I can get the latest if available.

Thanks,
Jim

p.s. I modified the bitmaps for the Prime emulator so I can see it better on my monitor.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2017, 09:24 PM
RE: HP Prime with high contrast keypad?
There is a version out there with the higher contrast colors. However, here is the rub. They didn't give it a different part number, so it's the same part number. I tried to order it directly from HP, but all the order taking people know is numbers. They know nothing about their actual products. They will just ask you for the part number, and there isn't one for the better keypad.....so....the ONLY way I know of ordering an HP prime with the contrasted keypad is to walk into a store that is selling them and point to it and say "I want that one".
Believe me, I tried, but ended up with the one I have to use a flashlight on to use. i.e. with the faded colors.
06-28-2017, 10:53 PM
Hi!
I think Samson Cables have-it|
Marcel
06-29-2017, 12:49 AM
(06-28-2017 08:55 PM)Skyblues Wrote:  Greetings,

I am getting ready to buy my 2nd HP Prime and was wondering if HP fixed the poor,

It's the only thing I don't like about the HP Prime (I'm 62 years old so that may have something to do with).

I'll get another HP Prime either way but wanted to check if they have improved the keypad contrast so I can get the latest if available.

Thanks,
Jim

p.s. I modified the bitmaps for the Prime emulator so I can see it better on my monitor.

The high contrast ones came out August, 2016..I got lucky and got mine at Best Buy in January, 2017 and it's high contrast, and mine was made late August, 2016...
06-29-2017, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2017 12:51 AM by smartin.)
(06-28-2017 08:55 PM)Skyblues Wrote:  Greetings,

Thanks,
Jim

I can confirm that this reseller (based in Oregon, USA) does have the newer model with the higher contrast keypad (I ordered mine less than 1 month ago, note that the picture is of the OLDER model):

http://www.officeworld.com/shop/HEWG8X92AA/14Q1/

-Steve
06-29-2017, 12:56 AM
Did you receive it yet?
I bought mine in best buy in oregon, but they claimed they didn't have the high contrast ones....or the ones on display were the only ones (Feb 2017). The problem is there is no "new" version as far as they are concerned....the old and the new both have the same product number.
06-29-2017, 01:00 AM
(06-29-2017 12:56 AM)webmasterpdx Wrote:  Did you receive it yet?
I bought mine in best buy in oregon, but they claimed they didn't have the high contrast ones....or the ones on display were the only ones (Feb 2017). The problem is there is no "new" version as far as they are concerned....the old and the new both have the same product number.

I ordered mine on May 30, 2017 and received it within the week. I guess I was taking a chance on what they were going to send me, but, luckily it was the newer model. So hopefully that is the only stock they currently have.

-Steve
06-29-2017, 07:45 PM
To confirm that the Prime is the newer one, what exactly is the difference between the "older model" with the low contrast and the "new model" with the high contrast?

I sent an email to officeworld.com in Oregon asking them if they could verify that they currently have the higher contrast model. Someone sent me a picture but I think the picture is of an older model Prime (probably not an actual image of what they have in stock).

What should I tell them to look for to visually verify that they have the newer one in stock?

Thanks,
Jim
06-29-2017, 08:00 PM
(06-29-2017 07:45 PM)Skyblues Wrote:  To confirm that the Prime is the newer one, what exactly is the difference between the "older model" with the low contrast and the "new model" with the high contrast?

I sent an email to officeworld.com in Oregon asking them if they could verify that they currently have the higher contrast model. Someone sent me a picture but I think the picture is of an older model Prime (probably not an actual image of what they have in stock).

What should I tell them to look for to visually verify that they have the newer one in stock?

Thanks,
Jim

One immediately obvious change is the Shift key. Instead of a robin's egg (powder?) blue, it's almost a navy blue. Now the Prime is a joy to use in low light.

Tom L
Cui bono?
06-29-2017, 11:09 PM
(06-29-2017 07:45 PM)Skyblues Wrote:  What should I tell them to look for to visually verify that they have the newer one in stock?

Look at the two first posts here:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-6674.html

Jean-Charles
06-30-2017, 12:43 AM
(06-29-2017 11:09 PM)Helix Wrote:  
(06-29-2017 07:45 PM)Skyblues Wrote:  What should I tell them to look for to visually verify that they have the newer one in stock?

Look at the two first posts here:

Wow, that's the real thing? It looks even better than the skins I made for my Prime emulator.
07-07-2017, 10:59 PM
Here's an update ... I just bought the new Prime with the high contrast keys and I have to say that it's outstanding. It was worth it.

It's exactly how first release should have been. I'll keep my old Prime as a backup but will probably never use it again.

I bought it from Samson Cables. Chris has the newest ones in stock.

Jim
07-08-2017, 12:44 AM
Hi Jim,
Can you please add some picture of your new Prime...
Marcel
07-08-2017, 01:17 AM
I'll be happy to take pictures but it looks exactly like the one on the right in the picture here ...

07-09-2017, 05:29 AM
Any hints that HP will provide an upgrade either free or at reasonable cost for poor color keyboard owners??
07-09-2017, 08:19 AM
(07-09-2017 05:29 AM)bobkrohn Wrote:  Any hints that HP will provide an upgrade either free or at reasonable cost for poor color keyboard owners??

None so far. Cost would be minimal to ship a set of plastic keys to those who request it. Instructions for fitting could be hosted on this forum..
07-10-2017, 01:03 AM
(07-08-2017 01:17 AM)Skyblues Wrote:  I'll be happy to take pictures but it looks exactly like the one on the right in the picture here ...

What an improvement! I suspect I will find myself with a second unit very soon.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2017, 05:53 AM
If HP sold an upgrade kit, I'd buy one in a second. I'd update my old Prime have two usable Primes. The old one is only unusable for me because I really can't see the keys well enough. It was too frustrating.

The improvement is incredible! Tim, please, please, please :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)