HP-41 MCODE, unused bits in chip 0
06-11-2017, 05:22 AM
HP-41 MCODE, unused bits in chip 0
I have some need for at least one unused bit in chip 0 (the status registers).

I am thinking of using the 2 unused key assignment bits that belong to the second half of the ENTER key. These are the MSB in nibble 7 of register 10 and 15. It seems the ZENROM uses these bits.

I have two questions:
  1. Are there other modules apart from ZENROM that use these bits?
  2. How popular is ZENROM these days, do you use it?

Håkan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2017, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2017 09:09 AM by Ángel Martin.)
RE: HP-41 MCODE, unused bits in chip 0
(06-11-2017 05:22 AM)hth Wrote:  I have some need for at least one unused bit in chip 0 (the status registers).

I am thinking of using the 2 unused key assignment bits that belong to the second half of the ENTER key. These are the MSB in nibble 7 of register 10 and 15. It seems the ZENROM uses these bits.

I have two questions:
  1. Are there other modules apart from ZENROM that use these bits?
  2. How popular is ZENROM these days, do you use it?

Håkan

I'm not aware of any module using them - but then I didn't know the ZENROM did either, so not sure this is a valuable input.

I never use the ZENROM, the AMC_OS/X and other advanced modules do all the power use I need.

Cheers,
ÁM
06-11-2017, 11:22 AM
(06-11-2017 05:22 AM)hth Wrote:  1. Are there other modules apart from ZENROM that use these bits?
I do not know

(06-11-2017 05:22 AM)hth Wrote:  2. How popular is ZENROM these days, do you use it?
Yes, frequently, MCED & RAMED are my go to interactive debugging functions when I need to inspect something in memory.

Sylvain
06-11-2017, 07:37 PM
OK, thanks.

Sounds like ZENROM is still in use, I will stay away from those bits then.

Håkan
06-12-2017, 04:35 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2017 04:36 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(06-11-2017 11:22 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(06-11-2017 05:22 AM)hth Wrote:  2. How popular is ZENROM these days, do you use it?
Yes, frequently, MCED & RAMED are my go to interactive debugging functions when I need to inspect something in memory.

Funny how we stick to what we learned first, for me HEXEDIT in the HEPAX (or ROMED in the OS/X) is a much better approach than MCED, and Håkan's own RAMEDIT (also in the OS.X) does all I need those rare times I need to inspect RAM memory (instead of RAMED). BTW both RAMED and RAMEDIT are in the RAMPAGE module as well...

Cheers,
ÁM
06-12-2017, 09:58 AM
(06-12-2017 04:35 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  
(06-11-2017 11:22 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Yes, frequently, MCED & RAMED are my go to interactive debugging functions when I need to inspect something in memory.

Funny how we stick to what we learned first, for me HEXEDIT in the HEPAX (or ROMED in the OS/X) is a much better approach than MCED, and Håkan's own RAMEDIT (also in the OS.X) does all I need those rare times I need to inspect RAM memory (instead of RAMED). BTW both RAMED and RAMEDIT are in the RAMPAGE module as well...

Cheers,
ÁM

Yes, I know, the problem, at least for me, is available time for my hobby.
For the past 6 months, I had to focus on the CL automatic update project, forcing myself to not look into new or updated ROMs, because doing so will distract me too much.
Before that, it was the CL semi-automatic update project and before that it was the 71 compendium project, anyway, you get the pattern.
I promise myself to take time after HHC2017 to really learn these new ROMs so that I am comfortable enough to not rely on the old ones.
Then I will be back to finish the long delayed GRAFIKS ROM testing, update & complete the 71 compendium, update the FRAM articles, do the 75 compendium, etc.
Best,
Sylvain

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)