more than one double quote problem
06-17-2017, 06:04 AM
more than one double quote problem
There is more than one type of double quote. I was experimenting with a program and I found that if I use double quotes generated by typing Alpha-0, I can use these for representing strings. However, if I use the double quotes from the Shift-9 selection menu, while these double quotes look identical to the previous ones on the screen, they are not accepted as string quotes, and I get a syntax error!!
Why did they do that? Why do they have 2 characters that appear identically on the display, not function the same? This seems moronic.
Enquiring minds want to know.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2017, 07:32 AM
RE: more than one double quote problem
While they appear to be the same they're not, the double quotes used for string are straight ones. The "double quotes" you see in shift-9 are a bit angled and are meant for seconds in the Degree°, Minutes′, Seconds″ typing.
Single Quote: '
Minute: ′
Double Quote: "
Second: ″

Hope it's clear now ;]
06-17-2017, 08:02 AM
I know the different functions, quote, minutes and inches. If you look closely, the shift-9 version appears to have a tilt (like you say) in the pop-up menu, but when the character appears in the program editor it's identical to the alpha-0 version (without tilt). It's not a big deal, but where it's a problem is in debugging, as it appeared that my version of the program was identical to the version I was copying from some online site (and visually it was)....took me some time to realize what the problem was. Thx.
06-17-2017, 08:09 PM
(06-17-2017 08:02 AM)webmasterpdx Wrote:  I know the different functions, quote, minutes and inches. If you look closely, the shift-9 version appears to have a tilt (like you say) in the pop-up menu, but when the character appears in the program editor it's identical to the alpha-0 version (without tilt). It's not a big deal, but where it's a problem is in debugging, as it appeared that my version of the program was identical to the version I was copying from some online site (and visually it was)....took me some time to realize what the problem was. Thx.

The program editor uses a monspaced font for most of the common characters. I'm guessing it doesn't have the tilt and hence that is the only place you'd see it. I'll take a look at that and see if that is the case and correct it.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
06-17-2017, 11:20 PM
Tim -- Yes, the monospaced HP Prime font's "double prime" character (ASC code hex 2033, decimal 8243) is not tilted. Neither is the preceding character, the single-prime mark (hex 2032, decimal 8242), but it should also be tilted. Thanks in advance for fixing both.

By the way, the "Prime Sans Bold" font also lacks the proper slant for both of those characters, so you might want to fix those too while you're at it.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-19-2017, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the quick response! Appreciate it.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)