Multiplying fractions looks ugly
03-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Multiplying fractions looks ugly
If one enters something like $$\frac{1}{4}\cdot\frac{3}{4}$$ the Prime formats it like $$\frac{\frac{1}{4}*3}{4}$$

Although this is mathematically correct this double fraction just looks ugly in my opinion (I don't even want to mention the multiplication "*").

The only way to circumvent this auto-uglyfication is to enter a space before the second fraction: $$\frac{1}{4}*\sqcup\frac{3}{4}$$

However if one copies such a "nice formatted" expression like this from the history to the input its uglyfied again :-(

So (one of) my wish to HP for the next firmware: Switch off the expression uglyfier ;-) and use a proper multiplication dot.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2014, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 06:12 PM by Mark Hardman.)
RE: Multiplying fractions looks ugly
(03-07-2014 03:13 PM)Stefan Wrote:  If one enters something like $$\frac{1}{4}\cdot\frac{3}{4}$$ the Prime formats it like $$\frac{\frac{1}{4}*3}{4}$$

Although this is mathematically correct this double fraction just looks ugly in my opinion (I don't even want to mention the multiplication "*").

The only way to circumvent this auto-uglyfication is to enter a space before the second fraction: $$\frac{1}{4}*\sqcup\frac{3}{4}$$

However if one copies such a "nice formatted" expression like this from the history to the input its uglyfied again :-(

So (one of) my wish to HP for the next firmware: Switch off the expression uglyfier ;-) and use a proper multiplication dot.

PEDMAS again...

You've entered the expression:

1/4*3/4

Using the proper rules of the order of operations, the expression is parsed as:

1 divided by 4 times 3, and then all of that divided by 4.

Given PEDMAS, the formatting of the original result is correct.

If you want, you could enter the expression as:

(1/4)*(3/4)

Which will format the result the way you want (3/16).

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
03-07-2014, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 06:36 PM by Mark Hardman.)
(03-07-2014 03:13 PM)Stefan Wrote:  However if one copies such a "nice formatted" expression like this from the history to the input its uglyfied again :-(

Even if the expression is entered as:

(1/4)*(3/4)

You are correct. If selected from the history, the command line is loaded with the "uglyfied" formatting.

\(\frac{\frac{1}{4}*3}{4}\)

Mark Hardman

03-07-2014, 06:36 PM
(03-07-2014 03:13 PM)Stefan Wrote:  However if one copies such a "nice formatted" expression like this from the history to the input its uglyfied again :-(

I don't see it making any change when I copy it down... ?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
03-07-2014, 06:39 PM
(03-07-2014 06:36 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  I don't see it making any change when I copy it down... ?

Are you in CAS mode?

Mark Hardman

03-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Nope, that would explain it. Thanks!

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)