HP 67: security cradle
04-27-2017, 06:44 PM
HP 67: security cradle
Dear HP enthusiasts,

Recently I've got a security cradle for my HP 67 but the foam inside the cradle has gone over the years ! I would like to renew this foam pad, but I do not know the foam height. Maybe anybody here in the forum is using a HP security cradle and is willing to measure this height.

Thanx in advance !

Kind regards,

Dr. Mabuse
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2017, 11:48 PM
RE: HP 67: security cradle
(04-27-2017 06:44 PM)Dr. Mabuse Wrote:  Dear HP enthusiasts,

Recently I've got a security cradle for my HP 67 but the foam inside the cradle has gone over the years ! I would like to renew this foam pad, but I do not know the foam height. Maybe anybody here in the forum is using a HP security cradle and is willing to measure this height.

Thanx in advance !

Kind regards,

Dr. Mabuse

Thanks for asking, I was wondering about this too - the foam on mine has turned to disintegrating crud.

While classic cradle owners are checking their cradles, can anyone explain the difference(s) between the cradle sold for the HP-45, -55, and -80 (HP 82007A) and the cradle for the HP-65 (HP 82015A)?

Until I recently got a copy of a 1975 HP Pocket Calculator Buyer's Guide, I was not aware that there were 2 model cradles for the classic series machines. I also never knew that the 82007A was not intended for the HP-35 or -70 (though I suspect the HP-70 fits it).

--Bob Prosperi
04-28-2017, 12:27 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2017 12:28 AM by Dave Frederickson.)
(04-27-2017 11:48 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  While classic cradle owners are checking their cradles, can anyone explain the difference(s) between the cradle sold for the HP-45, -55, and -80 (HP 82007A) and the cradle for the HP-65 (HP 82015A)?

The 65/67 cradle is bigger and it might have a card slot on the side.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/dimclas.htm

http://www.hpmuseum.org/dimcard.htm
04-28-2017, 01:33 AM
(04-28-2017 12:27 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  The 65/67 cradle is bigger and it might have a card slot on the side.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/dimclas.htm

http://www.hpmuseum.org/dimcard.htm

Yes, it's so obvious yet I've missed it all along. I just took out a '65 and '55 and placed them next to each other and the '65 is indeed larger. I only have the 82007A so cannot say for sure, but I doubt there is a (actually there would need to be at least 2) slot for the cards.

--Bob Prosperi
04-28-2017, 02:05 AM
(04-28-2017 01:33 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Yes, it's so obvious yet I've missed it all along. I just took out a '65 and '55 and placed them next to each other and the '65 is indeed larger. I only have the 82007A so cannot say for sure, but I doubt there is a (actually there would need to be at least 2) slot for the cards.

Bob, I have the security cradle designed specifically for the HP-65, 82015A. The foam disintegrated long ago. There are two holes in the cradle, one on each side, for reading and ejecting a card while the calc is in the cradle. A third hole is unnecessary as the card is able to be positioned in the top ABCDE row while in the cradle because that hole in the calc is above the right side of the cradle.

With no foam, the calc is too low in the cradle for the holes to line up. I put a little 6 inch ruler that is 1/8 inch thick under the calc and that caused the holes to line up so that a card could be read and ejected perfectly while in the cradle. So I would say the foam would have to be 1/8 inch thick.
04-28-2017, 03:19 AM
(04-28-2017 02:05 AM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Bob, I have the security cradle designed specifically for the HP-65, 82015A. The foam disintegrated long ago. There are two holes in the cradle, one on each side, for reading and ejecting a card while the calc is in the cradle. A third hole is unnecessary as the card is able to be positioned in the top ABCDE row while in the cradle because that hole in the calc is above the right side of the cradle.

With no foam, the calc is too low in the cradle for the holes to line up. I put a little 6 inch ruler that is 1/8 inch thick under the calc and that caused the holes to line up so that a card could be read and ejected perfectly while in the cradle. So I would say the foam would have to be 1/8 inch thick.

Thanks Don, I stand corrected. I assumed HP did not include the slots not because users wouldn't want it, they surely would, but rather because mounting angle, age, and other issues could lead to alignment problems which could easily damage a card or totally prevent use, as is the case when the foam ages. But to be fair, it's reasonable that they weren't thinking about problems 40 years in the future.

So... another item to add to the 'wanted list'.

--Bob Prosperi
04-28-2017, 03:56 AM
(04-28-2017 03:19 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  So... another item to add to the 'wanted list'.

I got this cradle a few years ago on Ebay (where else?). It came complete with the original box, 2 keys, instructions, mounting strips, security cable, screws, and sales receipt for $12.50 from an office supply store in Milwaukee WI. The date on the receipt just says "8/3", no year (shades of Y2k).

The original purchaser's name is on the receipt. I wanted to talk to him about how he used his 65, so (using the Internet) I tracked him down and called his phone number. His wife answered and said her husband had died a few years prior and she didn't want to talk. I probably shouldn't have called.
04-28-2017, 07:11 PM
Gentlemen:

... and do not forget - a security cradle was also designed for the HP Woodstock models ! Due to the different and smaller designs of the Woodstocks the security cradle was also in a slightly different design. Cradle casing seems to be the same material, as used for the calculator casing !

Best regards from Germany !

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)