Try to buy the newest Prime...Part 2
03-07-2017, 12:27 AM
Try to buy the newest Prime...
Hi,
I want to buy a new Prime... The one with more contrast color on keyboard. I don't know where to buy it! Samson Cable tell me that they don't have this one.
Can someone can help me to find for sure an online store that sell the newest Prime?
Marcel
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2017, 07:02 AM
RE: Try to buy the newest Prime...
I join to the question. I also cannot find a new version.
03-07-2017, 05:40 PM
I don't bother with that "new" version anymore.

The contrast difference between the "older" and that "newer" impossible to find version is minimal anyway, at least from what I have seen in pictures posted here on another threads like this one recently.

Of course having the calculator in your hands could clarify where it has better readability or not.
But that will not happen because it seems the only way to buy a calculator these days is to order online (at least in my part of the world), so you end up with what the seller sends to you, and returning the goods invoking readability/cosmetic issues would be probably not accepted.

Now, what I would like to see is a Prime using a totally dark face plate with labels in yellow and blue, similar to HP-35S or 50G style, with much better contrast and readability, as I proposed 3 yeas ago in another thread.
But that most probably will never happen, too.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

03-07-2017, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 06:08 PM by Luigi Vampa.)
... that would be 'old-school delight', but Prime is meant for new schoolers in their late teens.
Nevertheless, I can't agree more on that with you, José. HP traditional colors would add a gentle touch of cool factor, IMHO.

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
03-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Hi again!
How many of us have the new one?
I saw the picture in the thread of the seven differences but I never saw someone with it.. I know this is not a joke but maybe a Survey can help.

So:

Do you have the new Prime (with more contrast on the keyboard)?

Marcel
03-08-2017, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2017 01:39 PM by Didier Lachieze.)
(03-08-2017 11:50 AM)Marcel Wrote:  Do you have the new Prime (with more contrast on the keyboard)?

Yes I have one I got in a shop in my town last September, and I can confirm that the blue legends (the worst ones for my eyes on the first version) are much more readable on this one.

If you want I may look to buy one for you but expect it to be more expensive, including shipping from France, than what you can get in Canada.

EDIT: some pictures. On the left the first version (with the stickers from DrDevinci to improve readability), on the right the new one:

[Image: mini_881474P1030925.jpg]

[Image: mini_955884P1030931.jpg]
03-08-2017, 02:45 PM
(03-08-2017 12:31 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  (with the stickers from DrDevinci to improve readability)

I am not sure how they improve readability Confused

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2017, 03:09 PM
(03-08-2017 02:45 PM)eried Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 12:31 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  (with the stickers from DrDevinci to improve readability)

I am not sure how they improve readability Confused

Details are here. But you're right, I think overtime the colors on the stickers have faded and the improvement is now only marginal.
03-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Didier, I'm curious... can you share the name and city of the local retailer shop where you have acquired your high contrast Prime calculator?

Marcel, did you find a local retailer in your country already?

Thank you all.

On my side of Europe (Portugal) the only places where we could eventually find some HP calculators around three years ago, were the FNAC stores (very popular retailer shops in francophone countries and Iberia) and MediaMarkt.

Currently neither FNAC nor MediaMarkt have HP calculators in store anymore, although one of the MediaMarkt shops in Lisbon area still have lefts overs of the HP-10S+.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

03-09-2017, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2017 12:04 PM by Didier Lachieze.)
(03-09-2017 10:19 AM)jebem Wrote:  Didier, I'm curious... can you share the name and city of the local retailer shop where you have acquired your high contrast Prime calculator?

FNAC in Grenoble. There is still a few units available.
03-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Hi jebem!
Here, at Montréal (Canada), I never saw the HP Prime in the display of a local retailer. I buy mine online at Samson Cable (US).
Best Buy have it online (Price: 237,20$ CAN) This price is a bit high for this moment and I don't know if this is the newest.
Marcel
03-10-2017, 11:50 AM
(03-09-2017 12:04 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  FNAC in Grenoble. There is still a few units available.

Thanks Didier and Marcel for your information.

So Didier is living in a country where FNAC stores (one at least) still carries HP calculators for sell.

I guess the French HP market is huge when compared to the Portuguese reality.
Here most pupils/students buys Casio or Texas, and these are the main two brands that still have units for sell in local stores anyway (the other minor market brand here is Canon).

In Portugal, FNAC are very popular store chains, and they accept HP Prime orders as long as you pay up front, so in the end it is like an online order: you got whatever the warehouses ships to you.
Returns will not be accepted, unless you prove the goods are D.O.A. and you were not involved in the current fault situation.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

03-13-2017, 07:47 AM
Hello,

one of my students has "high contrast" Prime he bought somewhere here in Switzerland, the contrast difference is high for me, I have sometimes problems reading the light blue text on the keys but I can read the "dark" blue on the new version without problems.
Also the orange texts are better.

With the original colors I often confuse [ with { and : with ;

At the moment it is the only new colors Prime I have seen

Regards

Reto
03-13-2017, 11:58 PM
(03-13-2017 07:47 AM)retoa Wrote:  ... With the original colors I often confuse [ with { ...

Me too! Here's a little trick that helps distinguish them: just look at the keys to their left. You'll see "List" next to the { } key, and "Matrix" next to the [ ] key. The words are sufficiently more legible than the { } [ ] to assist in identifying them.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-14-2017, 12:12 PM
(03-13-2017 11:58 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(03-13-2017 07:47 AM)retoa Wrote:  ... With the original colors I often confuse [ with { ...

Me too! Here's a little trick that helps distinguish them: just look at the keys to their left. You'll see "List" next to the { } key, and "Matrix" next to the [ ] key. The words are sufficiently more legible than the { } [ ] to assist in identifying them.

Great mnemonic device. Niá:wen/Thanks, Joe!

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-14-2017, 01:50 PM
(03-13-2017 11:58 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Me too! Here's a little trick that helps distinguish them: just look at the keys to their left. You'll see "List" next to the { } key, and "Matrix" next to the [ ] key. The words are sufficiently more legible than the { } [ ] to assist in identifying them.

Yes, good trick !!!

Thank you for the idea
03-23-2017, 02:44 PM
found a guy selling a few of the newere ones on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252825703095
03-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Thanks, the same person has English/Spanish versions for $5 less. I zoomed in on the reverse side of the package and it has the part # ending in ABM, which I understand means the newer version.

I just ordered one so we'll see!

John
03-23-2017, 11:07 PM
I didn't see the English Spanish version..dammit
03-23-2017, 11:59 PM
Doesn't an #ABA model number suffix just indicate a US-release product?
I'd guess that #ABM (along with the English/Spanish-language packaging) means that it's meant for sale in Mexico.

I noticed the new package has a copyright date of 2016 on the back; maybe that's one clue towards identifying a unit with the darker keys. Older units (with the lighter-colored keys) have a 2015 copyright.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)