Poll: Would you like to 1) source your own boards and components, 2) order a PCB and source your own components, or c) order a kit
Source PCB and componets yourself
Order PCB and source components yourself
Order a kit
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
WP34S USB and IR board release
01-18-2020, 10:13 PM
RE: WP34S USB and IR board release
I used online stamps and did not go to post office but to mail box. Moreover WP34S boards are so tiny, that they cannot be physically detected thru an aircushioned envelope.

(01-18-2020 08:35 PM)Harald Wrote:  Thanks again for helping out Werner!
Last time I tried to ship via registered letter, the post office refused to accept it. How did you manage to do that?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2020, 06:26 PM
I didn't think of online stamps. I was sending the Classic PCBs, which are a lot bigger, and I wanted them insured.
Maybe online stamps might be a solution, you just have to hope the letter doesn't get lost until it is scanned for the first time...
01-22-2020, 01:32 AM
Rcvd my envelope today. Thank you for making it happen.

Now I just have to find a time and the nerve to install it.

Edward
01-22-2020, 02:22 AM
I received my envelope today as well. It makes sense of course, but I didn't realize these boards are as small as they are. Amazing

Thanks to Werner for assembling and shipping the boards, to Harald for creating it, and JP for organizing the effort.

--Bob Prosperi
01-23-2020, 01:28 AM
Sorry I've been a little disconnected for most of January, but I'm back now and I found that the boards were ready to be shipped to me for distribution in North America.
I see a couple of others have made requests too.

Anyway, Woohoo!
And thanks to Werner and Harald and to everyone who ordered to make this batch a reality.

I gave my son a WP-34S for Christmas, but it only had the clock/crystal features, and so I told him I'd get him the full USB modded version as soon as I could.

I haven't tried populating a board myself yet, but while we were doing all this, I ordered, I think, 10 boards from a chinese manufacturer, and lots of the components too, so I may be able to supply a few more kits in the future, but only if I'm able to test and verify the quality of the parts I have on hand. I'll let y'all know.

Basically, I'm just checking in to say that I'm not defunct, and I'm ready to finish my end of this bargain. :-)

JP

Georgia, USA
10BII+, 12C, 14B (AE), 17B, 17BII, 20B, WP-34S, 28S, 35S, 39GS, 48G, 82240A,B
+ sliderules galore, mostly Hemmi/Post & Dietzgen
01-23-2020, 02:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2020 02:15 AM by jpcuzzourt.)
(01-03-2020 04:52 AM)marsman2020 Wrote:  I'm just starting the process of building a WP34S, I'd be interested in buying a USB/IR board as well. I'm in the US.

Hi marsman2020,

I've added you to our spreadsheet and sent a note to Harald/Werner.
You may have benefited by my being out of pocket and late to tell Werner where to ship the NA orders.
We'll include you if at all possible.
NOTE: I put you down as wanting a KIT. If you'd like the board assembled, we definitely need to verify with Werner that he can do another one for us.
No HP-30Bs left behind!

JP

Georgia, USA
10BII+, 12C, 14B (AE), 17B, 17BII, 20B, WP-34S, 28S, 35S, 39GS, 48G, 82240A,B
+ sliderules galore, mostly Hemmi/Post & Dietzgen
01-23-2020, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2020 07:10 AM by Sadsilence.)
Hi JP,

welcome back :-). Glad to hear, that you are OK again.

To be honest I was a little bit impatient. All U.S./Canada orders have already been shipped as registered letters except your and another one. Majority confirmed sound and safe receivement.

Remaining boards will most likely find their ways as registered letters next weekend, as a really insane week has not allowed me to do final board tests so far.

Combined shipping does not pay off for two orders, so relax and enjoy your calculators :-)

Werner
01-23-2020, 06:45 PM
I received mine yesterday. The postal service actually attempted delivery Tuesday, but it was not delivered because no one was available to sign.

Thanks to Werner for sourcing, assembling, and shipping, and thanks to Harald for developing the boards. Now I just need to manage installing them without destroying the calculators.

Thanks again,

Milton
01-25-2020, 12:03 AM
Hello Werner,
The envelope has been delivered today.
Thank you for all the hard work, much appreciated.
Best regards,
Sylvain
01-25-2020, 06:19 PM
Hi guys,
I've been waiting so long for these boards and just notice your new posts.
If you have any left, would it possible to ship two out to Australia.

Thank you.
01-26-2020, 09:55 AM
Hi,

you have PM :-)

(01-25-2020 06:19 PM)RPLman Wrote:  Hi guys,
I've been waiting so long for these boards and just notice your new posts.
If you have any left, would it possible to ship two out to Australia.

Thank you.
01-28-2020, 12:19 AM
Pardon me as I'm so late....is there still time for me to order (2) assembled boards??
Thankyou,
TomC
01-28-2020, 07:22 AM
Hi Tom,

you have a PM.

Regards,

Werner

(01-28-2020 12:19 AM)TomC Wrote:  Pardon me as I'm so late....is there still time for me to order (2) assembled boards??
Thankyou,
TomC
01-28-2020, 08:07 AM
My board arrived today, I am about 1/2 way through the modification.

Thanks again all!
01-28-2020, 11:12 PM
Thank you Werner!

Ordered!!

TomC

(01-28-2020 07:22 AM)Sadsilence Wrote:  Hi Tom,

you have a PM.

Regards,

Werner

(01-28-2020 12:19 AM)TomC Wrote:  Pardon me as I'm so late....is there still time for me to order (2) assembled boards??
Thankyou,
TomC
01-31-2020, 06:24 PM
If available, I would like to order 3 assembled boards please.

brett
01-31-2020, 09:48 PM
Hi brett,

send you a PM.

Regards,

Werner

(01-31-2020 06:24 PM)brettpim Wrote:  If available, I would like to order 3 assembled boards please.

brett
02-05-2020, 09:21 AM
Hello,

If anything is available at all (board, kit, assembled) I would be interested in 2 please.

Leo
02-05-2020, 08:40 PM
The new PCBs are excellent - thank you for even putting the six wires on that connect it to the rest of the calculator. All six are different colors, making installation much easier!

I am concerned about the white BAT+ wire, though. The WP 34S users manual says to connect it to "the big upper battery terminal." However, the illustration shows a connection to both batteries' big upper terminals. Since the two battery inductors, LB1 and LB2 have been removed, there is no longer any continuity between the two batteries so connecting to only one means the WP 34S is only powered by that one and the other is not connected.

I've added a wire between the two "big upper" (positive) terminals to ensure both cells are used. When I get home this evening, I'll confirm the need for that with my WP 34S which I updated last week without this extra wire. If my suspicions are correct, it will run with the left cell in place and without the right one but not the other way around. In which case I will open it again and add the extra wire.

Many, many thanks for a fine board and build kit - the difference it makes in WP 34S usability is enormous (and yes, I do have the HP cable - this is *far* easier!).

So many signals, so little bandwidth!
02-06-2020, 10:03 AM
Hi Jim,

thanks for your kind words. As I test assembled boards anyway in a real HP-30B it is only a little bit more work to generate a new test wire set for every board. It is encouraging that it indeed makes your life easier.

Regarding white BAT wire you are completely right. Connection between positive battery terminals is mentioned in WP34s manual (corresponding picture attached below). Normally I include that about 1 inch (red) wire for each assembled board. I cannot solder it cause both ends are in destination WP34S. Sorry, when I forgot it in your case. And it is a good idea to use a white instead of a red wire.

Thanks again,

Werner

(02-05-2020 08:40 PM)Jim Horn Wrote:  The new PCBs are excellent - thank you for even putting the six wires on that connect it to the rest of the calculator. All six are different colors, making installation much easier!

I am concerned about the white BAT+ wire, though. The WP 34S users manual says to connect it to "the big upper battery terminal." However, the illustration shows a connection to both batteries' big upper terminals. Since the two battery inductors, LB1 and LB2 have been removed, there is no longer any continuity between the two batteries so connecting to only one means the WP 34S is only powered by that one and the other is not connected.

I've added a wire between the two "big upper" (positive) terminals to ensure both cells are used. When I get home this evening, I'll confirm the need for that with my WP 34S which I updated last week without this extra wire. If my suspicions are correct, it will run with the left cell in place and without the right one but not the other way around. In which case I will open it again and add the extra wire.

Many, many thanks for a fine board and build kit - the difference it makes in WP 34S usability is enormous (and yes, I do have the HP cable - this is *far* easier!).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)