Poll: Would you like to 1) source your own boards and components, 2) order a PCB and source your own components, or c) order a kit
Source PCB and componets yourself
Order PCB and source components yourself
Order a kit
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
WP34S USB and IR board release
04-06-2017, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 08:19 AM by c785.)
RE: WP34S USB and IR board release
(04-05-2017 08:18 PM)revwillie Wrote:  personally, I prefer the satisfaction of soldering all the parts in myself. I just don't want to shop for them. I made my 34s a few weeks ago but didn't open it up to add the crystal and caps.

Thanks a lot, especially the gluing part is very interesting. IIRC, the case is made of ABS, which is nice for glueing, maybe it was a layer of moulding fluid remaining on it after manufacture which prevented the glue from sticking. I think I'll try some sanding and thin CA, once I get the board.

The part about soldering 0603 SMD stuff is also very interesting, I know what it's like to have a part flying in a random direction. It takes a bit of practice, plus a slightly different approach to soldering, but once you get the hang of it, it's much easier than working with through-the-hole parts. And good equipment really helps.

BTW, I got the HP30b last night (which is now, obviously, a WP34s), and nearly went mad trying to flash it: after a Bus Pirate V4 failed on it, I tried an Arduino Nano, which also failed, so I actually looked at the source of the problem elsewhere (Linux? flashing software? reset switch working? etc.). In the end, near total despair, with a dead calculator and no success flashing, already searching for the JTAG connector's pinout, I tried the Bus Pirate V3.6, which worked first time (Linux, flasher from wp34s sourceforge site). (Probable cause of problems: non-FTDI chip in BPV4, fake FTDI in Nano clone, real FTDI only in BPV3.6). So, I can really recommend using a dedicated and tested USB-serial converter just like this one. And I have another excuse for having both Bus Pirates.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2017, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 12:02 PM by Harald.)
I have 60 boards left. Not sure if that is enough. Lets wait and see if Jim gets back with a quote.

I will send some of those to "Sadsilence" in Germany to get them populated and possibly some to "teenix" in Australia if anyone there is interested in the boards. (BTW. Tony, have you been home andreceived the parcel?).
The rest I will ship to people who want a kit.

If Jims quote is reasonable, he could then order boards and components and supply those in the US.
04-06-2017, 09:54 PM
(04-06-2017 11:58 AM)Harald Wrote:  (BTW. Tony, have you been home andreceived the parcel?).

Hi Harald,

I was home only briefly and by the time I caught up with family and chores I was gone again. I should be home for a break in 2 weeks.

cheers

Tony
04-07-2017, 01:23 AM
Hello, Harald - My sincere thanks for a remarkable design!

Regarding the cost of making them here - the BOM comes out to only US$3.50 for the parts and $4.28 for the board (quantity 20 boards, 1 week delivery) for 20 boards and sets of parts. The IR diode is only $0.41; the crystal and capacitors are $0.20 (again, quantity of 20). So, all told, that would be just over $4 for everything plus envelope, postage and all.

With all the terrific contributions of others, I would only charge the item costs. My time is free (and worth every penny!). But yes, I've done microelectronic work for decades.

(0.25mm blue wire modification to an aerospace board shown with 0402 resistors and 0.09mm wire).

If you still have 60 bare boards, we may not need more for a while (34 responses to your survey). But they can definitely be made here if needed.

Any recommendations on how I can help going forward? Again, my thanks to all!
04-07-2017, 02:21 AM
(04-07-2017 01:23 AM)Jim Horn Wrote:  If you still have 60 bare boards, we may not need more for a while (34 responses to your survey). But they can definitely be made here if needed.

I hope the low poll numbers are not indicative of The Community's level of interest. I didn't participate in the poll because I would not have purchased any of the three options. However, I am very interested in purchasing three fully assembled boards. Thank you for offering to do the labor. And a big thank you to Harald!

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
04-07-2017, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 02:49 AM by Jonathan Cameron.)
I'm also interested in purchasing a couple of assembled boards.

By the way, does the interface us the mini-USB or micro-USB connectors. It occurs to me that the micro-USB connector might make things fit better in the case (if the current ones use mini-USB connectors).

-Jonathan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2017, 04:23 AM
It uses the micro-USB (micro-B) connector. An early version used the mini connector but that's a different board.
04-07-2017, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 08:53 AM by Harald.)
(04-07-2017 01:23 AM)Jim Horn Wrote:  Hello, Harald - My sincere thanks for a remarkable design!

Regarding the cost of making them here - the BOM comes out to only US$3.50 for the parts and $4.28 for the board (quantity 20 boards, 1 week delivery) for 20 boards and sets of parts. The IR diode is only $0.41; the crystal and capacitors are $0.20 (again, quantity of 20). So, all told, that would be just over $4 for everything plus envelope, postage and all.

With all the terrific contributions of others, I would only charge the item costs. My time is free (and worth every penny!). But yes, I've done microelectronic work for decades.

(0.25mm blue wire modification to an aerospace board shown with 0402 resistors and 0.09mm wire).

If you still have 60 bare boards, we may not need more for a while (34 responses to your survey). But they can definitely be made here if needed.

Any recommendations on how I can help going forward? Again, my thanks to all!

Hi Jim,

Are those mouser prices? That is better than I can get here. But maybe the euro prices are not as good and also I have to pay 19% tax on top as well.
So I guess, you might as well go ahead and order.
My intention was to put the design into the public domain, so you are free to set whatever price you like for the boards. However as they are a bit of work to solder and test I would probably ad a small amount on top of your costs.
Would supplying the European market be feasible for you as well? If so, it would probably make sense if I would offer kits for those who still would want to solder themselfs and you offer the populated and tested boards. I would have to check if I can offer the kits cheaper than you can offer the complete boards. I think parts are at about €4, worldwide shipping plus envelope is about €2 and the boards I am not sure about anymore. But I guess I could at least match your price for the pouplated boards if I consider that they would just be stowed away in a box otherwise...

Is the $4.28 for 20 boards? So $0.21 per board? That is a really good price!

Cheers,
Harald
04-07-2017, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 10:04 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
(04-06-2017 11:58 AM)Harald Wrote:  I have 60 boards left. Not sure if that is enough. Lets wait and see if Jim gets back with a quote.
I will send some of those to "Sadsilence" in Germany to get them populated ...
Hello Harald & others,
hopefully "Sadsilence" ist still interested in producing populated boards e.g. for german friends of the WP34S.
Maybe sending boards to US and "re-importing" fully populated boards from the US could add not negligible costs.
How many potential subscribers are from Germany?
04-07-2017, 10:42 AM
(04-07-2017 10:03 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 11:58 AM)Harald Wrote:  I have 60 boards left. Not sure if that is enough. Lets wait and see if Jim gets back with a quote.
I will send some of those to "Sadsilence" in Germany to get them populated ...
Hello Harald & others,
hopefully "Sadsilence" ist still interested in producing populated boards e.g. for german friends of the WP34S.
Maybe sending boards to US and "re-importing" fully populated boards from the US could add not negligible costs.
How many potential subscribers are from Germany?

Well, if Jim can do them for $4, I guess it is cheaper to import them from the US ;-)
04-08-2017, 05:04 AM
The roughly $4 cost is per board, not for 20 of them (!). I suppose that if I created my own panel of them and cut them apart myself, it might be less but the increased risk to save a few pennies seems not worthwhile.

Right now I'm between jobs so funds are very tight, but I'll be back full time in a few weeks. So parts and boards will likely be ordered by the end of May or sooner. Sorry about the delay!

Out of curiosity, is there any evidence on how many would like the crystal and capacitors or the IR LED or both to be included with the completed boards? I'd offer to install the board / crystal / LED to existing '20s and '30s but I know that the calculator's LCD is fragile and I'd *really* hate to risk someone else's machine. So far, the 5 that I've done for friends and myself have turned out fine but that's not a huge sample set. Suggestions are always welcome!
04-08-2017, 10:26 AM
I am based in Wellington New Zealand and being a small country things can be hard to source in small quantities. I am keen to purchase kit of board all components, IR diode and crystal please for the USB interface for the WB34s,

Thank you Don B McLaren Smith
ninguisdomesticus@gmail.com
04-08-2017, 02:12 PM
(04-08-2017 05:04 AM)Jim Horn Wrote:  Out of curiosity, is there any evidence on how many would like the crystal and capacitors or the IR LED or both to be included with the completed boards?

I'd like one with the works please. Assume I'd just send you the 30b to have all installed?

Thanks Jim!

--Bob Prosperi
04-08-2017, 02:29 PM
(04-08-2017 05:04 AM)Jim Horn Wrote:  [H]ow many would like the crystal and capacitors or the IR LED or both to be included with the completed boards?

I would need the crystal and LED in each of the kits. As with Bob, if you are offering to do the install, I would welcome paying for the service and accept any risk of damage to the hardware.

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
04-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Hi Jim !

I'd love to get one of the finished boards, preferably installed. :-)
04-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Hi Jim,
I would be very interested in the "Board / crystal / LED". i would like to purchase a few as spares.

I also would be interesting for someone to make a template of a neat cutout for the USB.

Thank you Don
04-09-2017, 05:28 AM
Wow, this is great! I'm delighted at the interest and looking forward to getting these done.

I'll track the requests and welcome further feedback.

My 20+ year ISP has closed and I have a new email address. Meanwhile I've not yet figured how to set up a Web site with the new URL. Once I do, I should be able to keep an updated list of expected boards / kits / installs, etc.

Thanks to all again!
04-09-2017, 05:23 PM
I'd be interested in two of the finished boards, with the crystal and LED, installed if possible.

Thanks,

Milton
04-09-2017, 06:14 PM
I would like two kits, please.

Thanks, Jean-Christophe.
04-10-2017, 12:32 AM
I would like to get one either a kit or assembled with crystal and LED. If anyone in Canada wants to get this board installed in their WP34S I can do it for them, I have done a couple for myself already.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)