HP-97S IO
03-27-2017, 11:22 AM
HP-97S IO
Hello everyone,

So I got my hands on a non-working HP-97S IO. Pity is: The data pod is missing.

It would be nice preferably to find an original pod to wire into the machine. Should anybody have a whole box of unused data pods in his workshop, please do PM me!

In the unlikely case that I should not get that part within the next few days: Did anybody ever reconstruct the pod? Are there internal wiring diagrams or anything I could use?

Last question would be, whether a more modern substitute, e.g. hooking an HP-97 to a PC via USB has been tried. I found one link, but it proved to be a dead end...

Thanks for any suggestions and especially for offers of pods in pristine condition!

Yours,

a.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2017, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2017 04:49 PM by BobVA.)
RE: HP-97S IO
See Pod Schematic Discussion here and Katie's HP-97 Clock mod here (the latter should give you a good start on building a USB interface). Keep us posted!!

Bob
03-27-2017, 10:06 PM
Yep, happened to me although it was functional after card reader repair and printer gear replacement.

Missing data pod too.

Next step, make one ala Katie.

Geoff
03-28-2017, 07:51 PM
(03-27-2017 04:48 PM)BobVA Wrote:  See Pod Schematic Discussion here

Quote:

"There aren't too many control lines but you definitely need a logic analyzer."

Ouch. That's a tat above my paygrade. I'll wait for a more detailled recipe before I risk frying the motherboard...

Thank you all!

A
03-29-2017, 12:02 AM
Use a slightly more capable micro controller and it ought to be possible to add SD card support in addition to the card reader. It would be slow entering programs and data but the storage would be huge.

It might even be possible to do the same thing on a 67 if the card reader is removed -- an Arduino Nano ought to fit, add a μSD breakout board and use one of the existing card reader slots for the card. I don't think the USB connector would fit in the other slot in the case but it could be enlarged.

- Pauli
03-29-2017, 12:10 AM
From what I can gather the pod is an input device to the 97S. It's intended to be connected to a data acquisition peripheral. What's the purpose of connecting it to a PC's USB port?
03-29-2017, 12:16 AM
I was thinking about Katie's modification. Apologies for not providing adequate context.

Pauli

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)