Information Zone on HP 48 series
03-23-2017, 06:43 AM
Information Zone on HP 48 series
Greetings to all! I hope you are all fairing well!

Today, I come to all of you in the HP Museum for your wealth of knowledge. I need to know all the differences between every calculator in the HP 48 series. Which is the best one in your opinion? Memory, RAM, features between every make and model? Anything else to add? Where to find such a prized gem?

My main goal is to try do decide which calculator in the HP 48 series to add to my collection.

I am only 20 years old and that is the main reason why I know so little about HP Calculators. Plus, it's hard to collect them too because most of the "cool" models were produced before I even existed! But despite my age, I am very passionate about HP Calculators!

My apologies if a thread similar to this exists. I tried to find info in the HP Museum but alas, no results. Thank you all for your knowledge, help, and time!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2017, 09:23 AM
RE: Information Zone on HP 48 series
Hi there and welcome to the HP Museum forum!

The HP-48 series are great machines. I own a 48GX myself.

The "real" machines in this series are the 48S, SX, G and GX. I'm not 100% sure about the origins of the HP-48G+ but I'm pretty sure the HP-48GII is a Kinpo OEM job in much the same way as the HP 50g, running on an ARM processor that emulates the Saturn chip.

There is some discussion about the S, SX, G and GX variants here:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...?read=2024

It's an 18-year-old conversation (nearly as old as you!) so don't be surprised if some of the links in it are dead now.
03-23-2017, 01:11 PM
RE: Information Zone on HP 48 series
(03-23-2017 06:43 AM)Carsen Wrote:  My main goal is to try do decide which calculator in the HP 48 series to add to my collection.

Congratulations on becoming an HP aficionado at such an early age, in 2017, you've found the right place.

My opinion, to answer your question:

If collection is about innovative models, and mostly to look at, pick the 48SX (32KB RAM). The 48S is the same with no card slots.

If the collection is to use, and learn RPL programming, pick the 48GX (128KB RAM). The 48G has no card slots and 32KB, the 48G+ has no card slots and 128KB. Find one with Black LCD (more expensive but MUCH easier to read in all lighting conditions). A RAM card is great for backup (32KB or 128KB can be found for as little as $50; larger available too, but get pricey).

The 48GII is not really a 48 -family machine at all, but is a 49G- (based on 49/50 CPU and f/w, but slower and with smaller screen).

The easiest place to find any of these is eBay, but Craigslist and local shops (pawn shops, recycled goods, GoodWill, etc.) should also be checked, you might get lucky)

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)