HP Tools under MacOS ?
03-22-2017, 12:42 AM
HP Tools under MacOS ?
Hello

I'd like to know how to build HP Tools "Source code for the free System RPL and assembly language (HP syntax and MASD [Meta Kernel] syntax) development kit ( http://www.hpcalc.org/details/4263 )" under recent MacOS (10.12 64bits) system please ?

This archive is pretty old and make this following build error :

iMac:i386-apple-darwin16.5.0 julien$ make install
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wno-switch -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-implicit -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../include -c ../rplcomp/masd.c
../rplcomp/masd.c:15:11: fatal error: 'malloc.h' file not found
# include <malloc.h>
^
1 error generated.

Thanks a lot
sunhp.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2017, 01:48 AM
RE: HP Tools under MacOS ?
I have the "HPTools 3.0.9 Mac Installer.zip" archive from 2008. This was originally build by JYA. Any interests?
03-22-2017, 05:41 AM
Hello,

malloc is needed for memory allocations. Just find which header it is in (strings.h or string.h or stdio.h probably has it) and try again...

cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user
03-22-2017, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 12:57 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
Apple has moved it's development tools to LLVM and GCC is no longer supported by the company.
There are several ways to bring back GCC to macOS Sierra (10.12).
First, you need to install XCode and the XCode Command Line Tools (xcode-select --install)
Here are two ways out of many to install GCC:
a) you can install MacPorts and then install one of the ported GCC version
b) you can also take the route of compiling it yourself, like described in Compiling GCC 6 on macOS Sierra
Regards,
Sylvain
03-22-2017, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 02:19 PM by pdo.)
(03-22-2017 12:42 AM)sunhp Wrote:  Hello

I'd like to know how to build HP Tools "Source code for the free System RPL and assembly language (HP syntax and MASD [Meta Kernel] syntax) development kit ( http://www.hpcalc.org/details/4263 )" under recent MacOS (10.12 64bits) system please ?

This archive is pretty old and make this following build error :

iMac:i386-apple-darwin16.5.0 julien$ make install
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wno-switch -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-implicit -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../include -c ../rplcomp/masd.c
../rplcomp/masd.c:15:11: fatal error: 'malloc.h' file not found
# include <malloc.h>
^
1 error generated.

Thanks a lot
sunhp.

I have a patch for hptools-src-3.0.8.tar.gz to get it to build on a 64-bit mac. I created it a couple of years ago, so not the latest macOS, but hopefully still works. Take a look at http://cloudycat.bitbucket.io/ for a link to it and some instructions on how to apply it. Though unfortunately it seems that the link on my website no longer works as bitbucket have recently changed their webhosting arrangements, so until I fix things try https://cloudycat.bitbucket.io/hptools/h...0503.patch instead.

Please let me know how you get on with it, if it doesn't work then I would like to fix it.

It would be nice if HP could relax their license on these tools to allow them to be maintained, I wonder if this is possible?

Paul
03-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Thank you so much for your kind messages !

I have installed William G. Graves's Debug4x into a fresh Windows based vmWare and it's just a special great joy to come back into MASD great syntax. After a little syntax tuning I'm able to run 20 year old code within the great HP50G emu. Along with HP Machine Language compiler doc, and Joe Horn's Hp49 Supported Entry Points cross reference docs it's all good. Also, a real Hp50G is on its way from Amazon to my home and I can't stand to put my hands on it by the end of this week.

How could I have missed it for so long time ;-)

sunhp
03-23-2017, 09:52 PM
(03-22-2017 02:19 PM)pdo Wrote:  Please let me know how you get on with it, if it doesn't work then I would like to fix it.

Well I've just rebuilt the tools on macOS 10.11 and they still work okay (I'd been using 10.10-built binaries up until today). If anyone tries 10.12 then please let me know if you encounter any problems.

Website links now working again http://www.cloudycat.com.

Paul
03-23-2017, 11:54 PM
(03-23-2017 09:52 PM)pdo Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 02:19 PM)pdo Wrote:  Please let me know how you get on with it, if it doesn't work then I would like to fix it.

Well I've just rebuilt the tools on macOS 10.11 and they still work okay (I'd been using 10.10-built binaries up until today). If anyone tries 10.12 then please let me know if you encounter any problems.

Paul

Let's try it !

patch -p1 < hptools-pdo-20150503.patch
patching file common/envfile.c
patching file common/getopt.c
patching file doc/MAKEROM.DOC
patching file doc/RPLCOMP.DOC
patching file doc/SASM.DOC
patching file rplcomp/defer.c
patching file rplcomp/masd.c
patching file sasm/sasm.c
patching file sload/symb.c
patching file support/Makefile.in

[...] Building

make install
Installing makerom
Installing rplcomp
Installing sasm
Installing sload

It works ! Your patch is awesome, it should be uploaded to hpcalc.org right now.

So nice to get the real command-line assembler binaries for my system.

Thanks for sharing it Paul.
03-24-2017, 01:26 PM
(03-23-2017 11:54 PM)sunhp Wrote:  It works ! Your patch is awesome, it should be uploaded to hpcalc.org right now.

So nice to get the real command-line assembler binaries for my system.

Thanks for sharing it Paul.

Excellent, thanks for trying it out.

Paul
12-05-2018, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2018 07:58 AM by wok.)
(03-23-2017 09:52 PM)pdo Wrote:  

Paul

Thank you very much for the patch. I can confirm that the HPTools also work under macOS 10.14.1 without any issues.

I use asm71 on the Mac to compile HP-71 LEX files. Please note that the asm71 compiler also understands the macro-expansion pseudo-ops LEX, ID, MSG etc. as recognised by the Forth/Assembler ROM (unlike SASM).
12-06-2018, 01:29 PM
(12-05-2018 08:15 PM)wok Wrote:  Thank you very much for the patch. I can confirm that the HPTools also work under macOS 10.14.1 without any issues.

Thanks for the feedback. I now have a more up-to-date Mac and so can also test on the latest macOS too.

Paul

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)