Crash in calculator
03-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Crash in calculator
Every time I create a new program or erase some other, the calculator is reset. Someone else has that. I have version 10637 on the calculator.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2017, 06:52 PM
RE: Crash in calculator
It sounds like the flash memory in your calculator might either have bad data in it, or is messed up in some way. If you have any important data on there, make a backup through the connkit. Running off to a meeting right now, but maybe someone can point you to a link on how to do that...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
03-21-2017, 09:47 AM
(03-20-2017 05:49 PM)math7 Wrote:  Every time I create a new program or erase some other, the calculator is reset. Someone else has that. I have version 10637 on the calculator.

That happened to me on all three of my Primes. Tim's advice to reset fixed it for me. What I did first was back up each program individually. I then did the reset. Next, on one calculator I loaded one program at a time and created a new program after each load to check if the problem returned. After fifteen programs or so one program caused the problem to return. I loaded all the other programs on the other two calculators and the problem didn't return on those. I reset the problem calc once more and loaded all the programs that didn't cause the crash. Now all three can create new programs with no problems.

I know it was a tedious process but it was worth it to me.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-21-2017, 11:15 AM
Did you find out what it was about the last program that caused the Prime to crash? It could be beneficial for people here to know about the potential risk.
03-21-2017, 01:49 PM
(03-21-2017 11:15 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Did you find out what it was about the last program that caused the Prime to crash? It could be beneficial for people here to know about the potential risk.

It was an Asteroids game. I downloaded it again and the fresh copy doesn't cause the crash so I didn't mention the name. Somehow the copy I had got corrupted.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-21-2017, 01:54 PM
OK, thanks. All's well that ends well.
03-23-2017, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2017 08:58 PM by math7.)
It happened to me since I updated my Prime. When I bought it I had the version before 10637 I do not remember what it was, and I created a program and there was no problem. After the upgrade to the new version, the problem began. The calculator is reset, although it does not erase the information that the program name, but it does reset and is uncomfortable and annoying. I'm going to do what Tom did to see how I'm doing and I'll tell you today or tomorrow.
03-27-2017, 05:24 AM
I deleted all the applications and programs that were installed on the calculator and restored with the reset button and tried by creating a new program and the calculator was not crash. Then I thought I had solved the problem but no. I discovered that the calculator is reset when creating two programs. For example, I make a new program with the program editor and I put a name as Prog1 and left it without instructions and I give it ok and no problem, but when doing a second program either, I enter the name and I give ok and the Calculator is reset, it is very strange. In addition to this, in the Home mode there are some values ​​for real variables, and with no command I can delete those values, for example the variable X had a value of 2,785 .... and I write DelHVars (X) and I give enter and it puts 0 But if I type X on the command line and hit enter it comes out again with its value of 2,785; The only way is to enter with the keys Shift + Mem and from there reset one by one each variable which is very tedious, there should be a command to do it once and for all.
03-27-2017, 11:57 AM
(03-27-2017 05:24 AM)math7 Wrote:  I deleted all the applications and programs that were installed on the calculator and restored with the reset button and tried by creating a new program and the calculator was not crash. Then I thought I had solved the problem but no. I discovered that the calculator is reset when creating two programs. For example, I make a new program with the program editor and I put a name as Prog1 and left it without instructions and I give it ok and no problem, but when doing a second program either, I enter the name and I give ok and the Calculator is reset, it is very strange. In addition to this, in the Home mode there are some values ​​for real variables, and with no command I can delete those values, for example the variable X had a value of 2,785 .... and I write DelHVars (X) and I give enter and it puts 0 But if I type X on the command line and hit enter it comes out again with its value of 2,785; The only way is to enter with the keys Shift + Mem and from there reset one by one each variable which is very tedious, there should be a command to do it once and for all.

It definitely sounds like you have bad RAM. At least one location can't hold a value. If the calculator is in warranty, return it for repair or, most likely, replacement.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-27-2017, 02:50 PM
(03-27-2017 05:24 AM)math7 Wrote:  <
<
<
for example the variable X had a value of 2,785 .... and I write DelHVars (X) and I give enter and it puts 0 But if I type X on the command line and hit enter it comes out again with its value of 2,785
That is normal operation. Variable X is not a Home USER variable. X is a Home RESERVED variable for real numbers. See virtual calculator's [Help] [Tree] Variables.
The DelHVars command, for deleting Home USER Variables, is described in the User Guide, found in the virtual calculator's Help menu item. I think it is on page 635, depending on which version of the user guide you have.

Your memory hardware is probably just fine, but you can run a memory test, found on from the diagnostic page: C-F-O [ON] (HOLD EACH LETTER KEY DOWN and then press [ON]).

From that diagnostic suite, it might be a good idea to select item 4 (FLS Utility), then item 3 (Format Disk C), then item 9 (Reset). Then re-install the 10637 firmware release. This should give you a clean installation of the firmware.
03-27-2017, 08:36 PM
Wonderful!!! Thank you very much, this procedure served to fix my HP Prime, it is not reset, thank you DrD !!! I did not know that diagnostic test, I did exactly what he recommended and I fixed the problem, excellent solution, I do not know which part of the manual talks about that test but thanks for the help, and hopefully help others who have a similar problem . I'm very happy!!!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)