HP ProBook 4540s time indicator problem
03-01-2014, 03:45 AM
HP ProBook 4540s time indicator problem
Hopefully this is not to far afield, but the following is sort of curious. I recently acquired the above referenced HP lap top computer, running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS. Seems a great improvement over my old HP Pavilion, running XP Home Edition SP 3. Problem is that with new machine, the time indicator at lower right corner of screen is 3 hours earlier than local time. I've reset the time several times, it will hold for a couple of days, then it reverts to 3 hours slow.

Yesterday, I got on the phone HP tech support m which is located in India, a least that was the location of two people I spoke with, after being shuffled around to several different departments or individuals. Spent about an hour on the phone, going through updating of BIOS, possibly some other things too, to no avail. Time indicator is still 3 hours slow.

After this experience with India based tech support, which seems to leave something to be desired, I'm find myself curious re the possibility of direction or suggestions here. Actually, I find no operational problems caused by the referenced time difference, however I am curious, as it seems that this should be a simple fix, especially re a computer purchased new in December 2013. HP's India based technical support was less han helpful, sad to note. Ideas, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 04:04 AM
RE: HP ProBook 4540s time indicator problem
Are you sure you have it set for the correct time zone? If you set it to the wrong time zone (e.g. you are on East coast and PC is set to West coast) and have clock set to internet time sync, it will continue to change back by 3 hours (for example I gave) to set the clock to the 'correct' time (from it's point of view).

HTH

--Bob Prosperi
03-01-2014, 04:38 AM
RE: HP ProBook 4540s time indicator problem
(03-01-2014 04:04 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Are you sure you have it set for the correct time zone? If you set it to the wrong time zone (e.g. you are on East coast and PC is set to West coast) and have clock set to internet time sync, it will continue to change back by 3 hours (for example I gave) to set the clock to the 'correct' time (from it's point of view).

HTH

Looks like your idea was right on. The lap top was, it seems, set to West Coast Time, 3 hours earlier than Eastern Time, my zone. Thanks for the thought. I also replied via email.

AL2

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)