Calculators with C?
03-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Calculators with C?
I have previously looked for Calculators with C, as I used to use that language.

Today, I saw a Basic Casio PB 1000 * in a charity shop. It does Basic and assembler.
Whilst googling it's spec, I saw a description of the Casio PB 2000*.

It has a C interpreter, and no Basic (unless you purchase an optional ROM).
That was a surprise, as I don't recall a such a calculator* with on-device C, or a programmable calculator without Basic. Furthermore, all recent Casio Basic 's that I have looked at were very restrictive (e.g. no recursion) - hence my choice of HP Prime.

*It calls itself a Personal Computer, so might use binary rather than BCD - but it's physical form factor for is portable and battery powered.

Are there any more up to date calculators with on-device C that I have missed?

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2017, 10:56 PM
RE: Calculators with C?
Interesting question, but I'm not aware of any similar device.
Btw, what I've found is this here (an Emulator):
http://www.pisi.com.pl/piotr433/pb2000ee.htm
Which states that there were even
Prolog ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolog )
and LISP ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_(prog..._language) )
versions (ROMs) !
Find all posts by this user
03-10-2017, 11:05 PM
While not a built-in programming language, there are C compilers for several newer calculators including the HP-50g and the Casio FX-9860 and related models.

John
03-10-2017, 11:11 PM
You have also the Sharp PC G850 family (G850, G850V, G850VS).
03-11-2017, 12:12 AM
The PC-G850 versions are much more commonly seen on Japan-based auction sites, and at lower prices. It seems that many were used in school as take-home tools in the '90s and early '00s, much like graphing calculators in the US at the time. The G850 even has a programming interface so that it can be used to program PIC micros--pretty neat stuff. Unfortunately documentation seems to only be in Japanese, because Sharp had withdrawn those types of devices from the international market by the time the G850 was released.
03-11-2017, 11:30 AM
There are some pockets from CASIO (VX-3, VX-4, FX-870P, FX-890P, Z-1, Z-1GR and Z-1GRA) and some from
SHARP (PC-G813, PC-G815, PC-G830, PC-G850, PC-G850S, PC-G850V and PC-G850VS) offering a C interpreter
besides BASIC. The first pocket offering different languages was the CASIO AI-1000 from 1988. It comes
with built-in LISP interpreter and the possibility to add other languages via ROM cards (BASIC, PROLOG,
CASL, C, PASCAL). In 1989 CASIO made the export version of the AI-1000 with built-in C instead of LISP,
called PB-2000C. LISP is available on the AI-1000 only, because there is no LISP ROM card. There is also
a CASIO PB-1000C, but the C refers to the built-in CASL and not to the C language.

Calculator Benchmark
03-11-2017, 05:01 PM
I run TurboC on my 200LX. Does that count? Wink

There's also the PocketCHIP. It's not a calculator, but it runs a modified Debian, meaning it'll run gcc no problem.
03-11-2017, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2017 09:15 PM by Helix.)
(03-11-2017 05:01 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  I run TurboC on my 200LX. Does that count? Wink
Definitely! With its large 640x200-pixel screen and its QWERTY + numerical keyboard, the HP 200LX is very comfortable for writing programs.

On the TI 92 Plus / Voyage 200 / 89 / 89 Titanium (not sure about the latter), it is possible to run GTC, an on-calc compiler. However, it doesn't support float and double variables, so I think it is rather limited.

The following is probably off topic, but there are several interesting interpreted languages available for the TI Nspire CX CAS. Lua seems extremely fast, is supported by TI, and can be used on-calc with a good third party Lua editor.
It is also possible to add new languages with Ndless, which is a "jailbreak". When it is installed, one can use on-calc JavaScript and Micro Python.

Jean-Charles
03-11-2017, 10:02 PM
(03-11-2017 06:14 PM)Helix Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 05:01 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  I run TurboC on my 200LX. Does that count? Wink
Definitely! With its large 640x200-pixel screen and its QWERTY + numerical keyboard, the HP 200LX is very comfortable for writing programs.

I do wish I had a bit better development environment on there, though. Usually I edit code in Memo, and have a DOS prompt running in the background to switch and run tcc manually. Not sure if the TurboC 2.4 IDE is lightweight enough to run in however much RAM you can wrest back by closing System Manager entirely.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)