HP-71 Compu-LS module
03-20-2017, 05:14 PM
RE: HP-71 Compu-LS module
Excellent! As expected, the EPROM produced an IRAM image, that is it has the IRAM identifier and can be loaded using the method Christoph shared.

For fun, the IRAM image can be converted to a ROM image that passes Titanchk. Note that the IRAM image can also be installed as a ROM, but it won't pass diagnostics.

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2017, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2017 05:40 PM by rprosperi.)
(03-20-2017 04:28 PM)twa14 Wrote:  I have the text file (see attachment) thanks Bob, now I"ll follow Dave's instructions.

And now, we have the ROM image too, thanks for that.

It converts OK, but it does fail the checksum verified by TITANCHK, however that could be due to the EPROM vendor not setting the checksum properly, which was quite common.

Easiest way to check the ROM image is to load it in EMU71 (either /DOS or /Win versions, both read the same ROM images).

Update: It loads just fine as a ROM using EMU71/DOS, I can CAT the 2 files. You will need to load it into an IRAM in order to be able to remove the protection, as emulated ROMs are also read-only.

Good luck

--Bob Prosperi
03-20-2017, 05:53 PM
(03-20-2017 03:09 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Update: It loads just fine as a ROM using EMU71/DOS, I can CAT the 2 files. You will need to load it into an IRAM in order to be able to remove the protection, as emulated ROMs are also read-only.

Once you will have it in IRAM, here is how to unprotect it:
- find the ROM base address from the address of the file with ADDR$("COMPU")
- add an offset of 1c(hex),
- poke "0" in that location.
Or in one step: POKE ADDR$("COMPU")[1,3]&"1C","0"

Now, you can EDIT or LIST COMPU :-)

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-20-2017, 06:12 PM
(03-20-2017 05:53 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  
(03-20-2017 03:09 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Update: It loads just fine as a ROM using EMU71/DOS, I can CAT the 2 files. You will need to load it into an IRAM in order to be able to remove the protection, as emulated ROMs are also read-only.

Once you will have it in IRAM, here is how to unprotect it:
- find the ROM base address from the address of the file with ADDR$("COMPU")
- add an offset of 1c(hex),
- poke "0" in that location.
Or in one step: POKE ADDR$("COMPU")[1,3]&"1C","0"

Now, you can EDIT or LIST COMPU :-)

J-F

That's Bob's quote, not mine. I gave instructions for removing the file protection in Post 17, Step 4.

Dave
03-20-2017, 06:31 PM
(03-20-2017 05:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  It converts OK, but it does fail the checksum verified by TITANCHK, however that could be due to the EPROM vendor not setting the checksum properly, which was quite common.

The reason the images fails the ROM checksum test, Titanchk, is because it's not a ROM. The Diagnostic ROM only checks checksums for ROM's. In the post, above, I've converted the IRAM to a ROM by removing the IRAM ID and inserting the proper checksums. Now figure out how I calculated the checksums. Smile

For an example of a ROM gone wrong, examine the Finance ROM and you'll discover that it contains the IRAM ID. Apparently HP forgot to convert it to ROM.

Dave
03-20-2017, 08:40 PM
Many many thanks to all of you for this, when I first started searching the forums for suitable information I thought omg! i'm only kidding myself, I didn't understand half of the hardware terms. I'm not finished yet as I have not carried out the last steps but am relieved to hear that the text file was good.

I have another project, this time with the HP41. Some years ago I bought 4 smashed up 41's on EBAY from Israel. I was hoping that one would be good enough to convert to a 41CL. This was not the case but on checking the ports found two ROMS installed called "AZIMUTH" they appear to be survey ROMS but I'm not sure. I tried very hard to find information on these ROMS without success. I even contacted the Geomatics Dept. of Technion Univ. in TelAviv but no one had heard of this ROM. I approached Matthias Werli who offered to read out the ROM as I had no PIL-BOX then. I sent him one of the two but it apparently did not arrive. I still have one left and Monty Dalrymple is interested in a copy for his 41CL. So don't go away just yet, I'm going to need some more help.
03-20-2017, 09:37 PM
(03-20-2017 08:40 PM)twa14 Wrote:  Many many thanks to all of you for this, when I first started searching the forums for suitable information I thought omg! i'm only kidding myself, I didn't understand half of the hardware terms. I'm not finished yet as I have not carried out the last steps but am relieved to hear that the text file was good.

I have another project, this time with the HP41. Some years ago I bought 4 smashed up 41's on EBAY from Israel. I was hoping that one would be good enough to convert to a 41CL. This was not the case but on checking the ports found two ROMS installed called "AZIMUTH" they appear to be survey ROMS but I'm not sure. I tried very hard to find information on these ROMS without success. I even contacted the Geomatics Dept. of Technion Univ. in TelAviv but no one had heard of this ROM. I approached Matthias Werli who offered to read out the ROM as I had no PIL-BOX then. I sent him one of the two but it apparently did not arrive. I still have one left and Monty Dalrymple is interested in a copy for his 41CL. So don't go away just yet, I'm going to need some more help.

I regret to say that twa14 is right. During the last 15 years, when I started with HP-Collection this is one of three items that got lost / damaged. I'm absolutly filled with consternation about this loss and would be very happy if Monty could manage the copy.
03-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Hi Dave, I have another few questions!

2. Convert the ROM image to an IRAM image.
a. Open EPROM.bin using a hex editor.
b. Overwrite the first 4 bytes of the file with the IRAM identifier "B3DDDDDE". This is also called the Stand Alone Module ID in the IDS.

I have done the above, could you look at the attachment (from the hex editor) to see if it is correctly overwritten

3. Load the IRAM image into Emu71/Win.
a. Run Emu71/Win. ......OK
b. Edit the Port Configuration and add a 64K RAM module to Port1.......OK
c. Turn on the emulator and execute FREEPORT(1) to create an IRAM.....OK
d. Turn off the emulator.....???
e. Open then Port Configuration window for Port1, select the RAM device and right-click.??
How can I open the port configuration if the emulator is off?

f. Select Load Memory Data... and open EPROM.bin
g. Turn on the emulator and CAT :PORT(1). You should see the EPROM catalog.

Attached File(s)
.doc  COMPU_HEX.doc (Size: 31 KB / Downloads: 10)
03-20-2017, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2017 10:04 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
Hi Tom,

Since the EPROM dump is an IRAM image, no hex editing is necessary. However, the first and fourth bytes have the nibbles reversed. It should be "3B DD DD ED". I made a mistake.

Now we need to substitute Christoph's shortcut for loading an IRAM image which replaces steps b - f.

"Referring to the Emu71/Win manual 9.1.1.2.2 Combo box "Size"

you can choose "Datafile" at top of the RAM size list instead of choosing the RAM size itself and enter the name IRAM image name EPROM.bin in the Filename section. This creates a RAM module with the neceassary size from the IRAM image and finally load the image into the allocated memory."

Dave
03-20-2017, 10:52 PM
Sorry for the stupid question about turning the emulator on and off. The module is loaded and I have tried JF Garnier's poke but still get the "file protect" message?
03-20-2017, 11:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2017 11:06 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
Did you try UNPRIV?

Code:
>CAT :PORT(1)
  NAME   S TYPE   LEN    DATE    TIME PORT
COMPU    P BASIC 32632 01/01/00 00:32 1    
KEYWAIT    LEX      55 01/01/00 00:33 1    

>UNPRIV COMPU

>CAT :PORT(1)
  NAME   S TYPE   LEN    DATE    TIME PORT
COMPU      BASIC 32632 01/01/00 00:32 1    
KEYWAIT    LEX      55 01/01/00 00:33 1    
>

After running UNPRIV there should be no 'P' for Private in the 'S' (Security) column.

Dave
03-20-2017, 11:34 PM
I get the "Excess Characters" message. I presume that I have to load "POKELEX" and "UNPRIV".
I thought that they were part of the emulator but apparently not? I'll try again tomorrow. Its 12.30 PM here.
03-20-2017, 11:56 PM
The UNPRIV LEX file needs to be copied from the LEXFL1 LIF archive file. That's all.

Dave
03-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Dave, I loaded the JPC rom into port 3 and used JF Garniers POKE statement (above) and BINGO!!
03-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Regarding printing out the BASIC code, is this possible via ILper\PIL-BOX
03-21-2017, 01:09 PM
(03-21-2017 11:23 AM)twa14 Wrote:  Regarding printing out the BASIC code, is this possible via ILper\PIL-BOX

Yes, this is easy, similar to the way you captured the ROM dump.

Simply do this:

0. Connect PIL-Box, start ILPer, RESTORE IO
1. LIST COMPU
2. The program listing will be displayed in ILPer's Printer window
3. When done, copy the program listing from the Printer window and paste into your text editor, where you can print, analyze, etc.

Just curious, but what does this application do, and what are you trying to find out?

--Bob Prosperi
03-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Its a survey\network adjustment program like STAR*NET. I bought the module in 1988. For some reason lost in time the module does not use the MATH rom. The matrix functions are ideal for speeding up the calculations. I read about the module first in the CHHU journal. A land surveyor (lives in New Mexico) tested it and compared the output with a mainframe program of that time and reported that the COMPU module gave exactly the same output, unfortunately it took two weeks to run! The MATH rom would have solved that problem a lot faster. Since then I have been thinking of doing this by editing the BASIC code to use the MATH rom. I have the manuals, if anyone wants a copy I will scan them and email
03-21-2017, 02:23 PM
When I hit restore io in EMU71/win I get "stmt not found". When I hit PLIST COMPU emu71 starts printing off the basic but I get nothing in the ILper screen?
03-21-2017, 02:57 PM
(03-21-2017 02:23 PM)twa14 Wrote:  When I hit restore io in EMU71/win I get "stmt not found". When I hit PLIST COMPU emu71 starts printing off the basic but I get nothing in the ILper screen?

I thought you were doing this is in an actual '71 machine. Have you configured EMU71/Win to connect to IL-Per via TCP/IP?

If you don't have EMU71 and ILPer connected yet, you will need to read in the EMU71/Win manual how to configure HP-IL to communicate via virtual HP-IL over TCP/IP. It sounds complex, but is actually pretty straightforward. You will need to configure both EMU71 and IL-Per. Configure the addresses such that each side is sending TO the same address the other is receiving FROM.

Example: On EMU71, set the HP-IL Interface setup as follows:

Out TCP/IP Address: localhost
Out Port: 60001
In Port: 60000

And on IL-Per, after changing the COM port to TCP/IP, set the HP-IL Interface setup as follows:

Out TCP/IP Address: localhost
Out Port: 60000
In Port: 60001

After saving settings, launch IL-Per, click start to enable it, then launch EMU71 and use RESTORE IO to configure the HP-IL loop.

--Bob Prosperi
03-21-2017, 02:59 PM
(03-21-2017 01:22 PM)twa14 Wrote:  For some reason lost in time the module does not use the MATH rom. The matrix functions are ideal for speeding up the calculations.

I think the main reason may be that the manufacturer didn't want to impose the purchase of the Math ROM to the potential customers. He could have designed the code to use the Math ROM if present, but it would have complicate the code, and the COMPU ROM is already almost full (33 bytes left).

The same applies to the HP Circuit Analysis ROM, it would have benefit of the Math ROM matrix function too.

But don't expend tremendous speed improvement with the Math ROM, it will avoid some code overhead, but the basic math operations will be the same. On the other hand, the matrix functions of the Math ROM are more accurate than equivalent Basic code. I don't know if this is important in that case.

J-F

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)