Status of HPGCC3 and using a Mac?
01-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Status of HPGCC3 and using a Mac?
Hello,

I was wondering if HPGCC3 is still being developed or has newRPL taken priority? Also, on the HPGCC3 site I see instructions for getting the cross-compiler working under a linux system, but has anyone successfully implemented it on the Mac platform?

Thanks,
Steve
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2017, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2017 04:43 PM by Claudio L..)
RE: Status of HPGCC3 and using a Mac?
(01-16-2017 04:00 PM)smartin Wrote:  Hello,

I was wondering if HPGCC3 is still being developed or has newRPL taken priority? Also, on the HPGCC3 site I see instructions for getting the cross-compiler working under a linux system, but has anyone successfully implemented it on the Mac platform?

Thanks,
Steve

hpgcc3 has been in maintenance mode for years now, nothing new will be added to it.
Regarding Macs, (I think) Egan had a tutorial for Macs but I'm not sure if it applies to the latest revisions.
To simplify the docs, the setup was explained under Linux, but similar thing can be setup in other OS's. When you get to the part when you have to click on a script that does some setup for you, you'll have to open the script, read what it does and reproduce it manually (in the right folders for your system), but that's no big deal. You may also have to adjust some folders in some build files.

Another (better, easier) alternative is to run Ubuntu as a VM and follow the exact steps. There's no down side to using a VM: you keep your favorite OS, just use a different one for this specific task. As a matter of fact, I develop newRPL on 2 windows machines: One natively compiling the demo under windows, the other one in Ubuntu Mate with latest Qt running on VirtualBox. Debugging is actually faster on the Linux VM, as Windows wants to load hundreds of DLL's so it takes 15 seconds to start a debugging session, Linux starts in one second.
01-17-2017, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the update and Mac advice (and the option of running under a VM).
01-17-2017, 06:04 PM
(01-16-2017 04:43 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Regarding Macs, (I think) Egan had a tutorial for Macs but I'm not sure if it applies to the latest

Here: http://sense.net/~egan/hpgcc3/qsosx.html

No idea if it still applies.

[A] link to x49gp is here now: https://github.com/datajerk/x49gp
01-19-2017, 03:16 AM
RE: Status of HPGCC3
As far as the status of HPGCC3, I've been wondering if programs compiled using it have any chance (either now or in the future) of running on a 50g that is loaded with newRPL. Seeing as those programs are compiled to run bypassing the emulation of the Saturn processor and directly on the 50g's hardware, I'm not sure that the lack of HP firmware would be an issue. I don't see any reason that HPGCC3 programs wouldn't be able to work, given newRPL is able to support it.

[font=Times New Roman][size=Large]
-M. D. Barrett
01-20-2017, 11:53 PM
(01-19-2017 03:16 AM)MDBarrett88 Wrote:  As far as the status of HPGCC3, I've been wondering if programs compiled using it have any chance (either now or in the future) of running on a 50g that is loaded with newRPL. Seeing as those programs are compiled to run bypassing the emulation of the Saturn processor and directly on the 50g's hardware, I'm not sure that the lack of HP firmware would be an issue. I don't see any reason that HPGCC3 programs wouldn't be able to work, given newRPL is able to support it.

HPGCC3 programs are not compatible and can't run under newRPL. newRPL is a completely different platform from the ground up, and does not support hpgcc3 at all.
Having said that, in the future there might be an API to run programs written in C for newRPL, using the newRPL API (nothing to do with the API in hpgcc3).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)