How to sell in the classifieds - I don't want to overdo this
10-25-2016, 06:33 PM
How to sell in the classifieds - I don't want to overdo this
I have a number of HP, TI, Casio and other items I want to sell. I wonder if I should put them all into one thing, split them up by brand, or do something else?

The items include things that work, things that don't work, things that might work, a few books, and accessories - about 70-90 items in all. I took (good-ish) photos of most of them.

One thing - anything that does not sell goes to a landfill - I have to get rid of things. Also, I prefer to deal within the US (and Canada) for postage reasons.

Thanks - Dave (former member of HP 65 Users club and others).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2016, 08:46 PM
RE: How to sell in the classifieds - I don't want to overdo this
(10-25-2016 06:33 PM)DGM Wrote:  ...
One thing - anything that does not sell goes to a landfill - I have to get rid of things. ...

It would be a mistake to throw out what you cannot otherwise sell. Look into the thrift stores in your vicinity. Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, WomenSafe, ... They may be able to find homes from a broader audience than you can reach here.

Alan
10-25-2016, 09:13 PM
(10-25-2016 08:46 PM)striegel Wrote:  
(10-25-2016 06:33 PM)DGM Wrote:  ...
One thing - anything that does not sell goes to a landfill - I have to get rid of things. ...

It would be a mistake to throw out what you cannot otherwise sell. Look into the thrift stores in your vicinity. Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, WomenSafe, ... They may be able to find homes from a broader audience than you can reach here.

Alan

Alan,

Good point. Much of my stuff has already gone to various charities. I was being dramatic.

David
10-25-2016, 10:43 PM
(10-25-2016 06:33 PM)DGM Wrote:  I have a number of HP, TI, Casio and other items I want to sell. I wonder if I should put them all into one thing, split them up by brand, or do something else?

The items include things that work, things that don't work, things that might work, a few books, and accessories - about 70-90 items in all. I took (good-ish) photos of most of them.

There is no clear rule for this many items, but I can answer with the way I'd like to see them, which obviously seems logical to me; other opinions may vary.

Each line starting with a "+" would be a different Post:

Working
+ HP
+ TI
+ Casio
Maybe Working
+ HP
+ TI
+Casio
Not-Working
+ HP
+ TI
+ Casio
Accessories
+ HP
+ TI
+ Casio
+Books

You could include pics of all items in each post (or links to pics hosted elsewhere, as you will run out of room quickly) - OR - you can send pics to those requesting them; either way you chose, you are sure to conclude the other way must be better.

Either way, suggest you add short description of condition (Mint, Exlnt, VG, Poor, etc.).

--Bob Prosperi
12-09-2016, 05:42 PM
I have had a number of posts out there for a while, and some of them have fallen off the "20 days or less" option in the listing. Before I start putting these items on TAS, I want to make certain that others have a chance to see them.

(1) Should I just update the posts where I still have something to sell? Or is that being too pushy?
(2) Should I delete the posts where everything is sold?

Thanks,

David
12-09-2016, 10:34 PM
(12-09-2016 05:42 PM)DGM Wrote:  I have had a number of posts out there for a while, and some of them have fallen off the "20 days or less" option in the listing. Before I start putting these items on TAS, I want to make certain that others have a chance to see them.

(1) Should I just update the posts where I still have something to sell? Or is that being too pushy?

Thanks,

David
David;
1) You're a member. The Classifieds are yours to use, for this purpose.
2) That's a nice touch, now that the software allows it. We used to do that at a member's request, for the same reason you want to.
Thank you. -db
12-10-2016, 12:35 AM
(12-09-2016 05:42 PM)DGM Wrote:  I have had a number of posts out there for a while, and some of them have fallen off the "20 days or less" option in the listing. Before I start putting these items on TAS, I want to make certain that others have a chance to see them.

A suggestion, but just one man's opinion:

After the post has fallen "out of sight" and 2-3 weeks have passed, edit the message to only include the remaining items (or group the remaining items at the top of the post, see below) and announce something like "These items will only be available until Dec 31st, then they're going to TAS where they'll cost more, so act now" or something similar as a call to action. Some folks will read it and decide to get back later, then later never happens...

As for removing when done, it's up to you, but I think it's kinda nice to have the old lists for later reference; note this comment is generic and not specifically about your posts/lists. These kinds of posts often have useful model number, manufacturer, etc. info in them, as was the case for several items you sold.

--Bob Prosperi
12-10-2016, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2016 11:43 PM by Dave Hicks.)
At this point we have received few or no complaints about the classifieds. I can't remember any myself since we switched to the new forum. So I personally don't feel like I have a lot of rules at this point. If people start complaining about things, we might add some later.

I looked at some of your older posts and have a few suggestions:

In some you bold the things you sell. Since people are attracted to big bold type they may skim over the things that are not sold.

Prices might speed things up. Or at least maybe give people an idea of how/when you plan to decide to sell. (This is on the calculators for sale post.)

But these are just ideas - not rules.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2016, 11:50 PM
(12-10-2016 11:42 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  I looked at some of your older posts and have a few suggestions:

In some you bold the things you sell. Since people are attracted to big bold type they may skim over the things that are not sold.

Prices might speed things up. Or at least maybe give people an idea of how/when you plan to decide to sell. (This is on the calculators for sale post.)

But these are just ideas - not rules.

Good point - I think I will go back to those posts, un-bold them and mark the sold items in Red instead, and make the unsold[/color] ones in italics. As far as pricing, I still don't have a clue what people are expecting to pay, but in most cases I have gone for the first good offer. Hint Hint!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)