How to Multiple Regression Forecast Using HP 17BII?
12-22-2016, 05:46 AM
How to Multiple Regression Forecast Using HP 17BII?
I was able to pick up my HP 17BII from eBay. Now I am trying to learn how to use it. I've pretty much got the hang of how to use it but now I am experimenting on how to properly do Multiple Linear Regression with 2-3 variables. I am not quite sure how the programming works on it, but I am willing to learn. The reason why I wanted the 17BII, the programming functions that comes with it and its solver function.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2016, 08:38 AM
RE: How to Multiple Regression Forecast Using HP 17BII?
(12-22-2016 05:46 AM)AraragiMonogatari Wrote:  I was able to pick up my HP 17BII from eBay. Now I am trying to learn how to use it. I've pretty much got the hang of how to use it but now I am experimenting on how to properly do Multiple Linear Regression with 2-3 variables. I am not quite sure how the programming works on it, but I am willing to learn. The reason why I wanted the 17BII, the programming functions that comes with it and its solver function.

Hi,

The 17B series has SOLVE only (but this SOLVE is the most efficient on HP calculators), no programming capability installed. I guess you're not the first who want to make multiple regression on 17Bxx, so I think the experts will be help you in this issue soon.

Anyway: what kind of regression function you want to fit to your data? Please post here the function.

Thanks,
Csaba
12-22-2016, 09:38 AM
(12-22-2016 08:38 AM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  Hi,

The 17B series has SOLVE only (but this SOLVE is the most efficient on HP calculators), no programming capability installed. I guess you're not the first who want to make multiple regression on 17Bxx, so I think the experts will be help you in this issue soon.

Anyway: what kind of regression function you want to fit to your data? Please post here the function.

Thanks,
Csaba
Browsing through the old forum, I've heard of this mythical "Let and Get" function that the 17B can do.

For the regression function, the basic independent variable and is it even possible to calculate for the R-Squared?
12-22-2016, 02:34 PM
(12-22-2016 05:46 AM)AraragiMonogatari Wrote:  I was able to pick up my HP 17BII from eBay. Now I am trying to learn how to use it. I've pretty much got the hang of how to use it but now I am experimenting on how to properly do Multiple Linear Regression with 2-3 variables. I am not quite sure how the programming works on it, but I am willing to learn. The reason why I wanted the 17BII, the programming functions that comes with it and its solver function.

Advanced features of the 17BII (similar to same features in the 19B/19BII and 27S) are described in detail in the manual "HP-27S/19B Technical Applications" which is included as a part of the MoHPC Document set, which can be purchased here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/cd/cddesc.htm.

This manual includes detailed documentation on the Solver's Let and Get functions with many examples.

The Document set is not expensive and easily worth the low cost, as it includes hundreds of HP manuals and documents, including the 17BII manual too.

--Bob Prosperi
12-22-2016, 10:21 PM

Note sure you can do multiple regression (Z =a + b*X + c*Y) with this calculator.
12-22-2016, 10:24 PM
(12-22-2016 09:38 AM)AraragiMonogatari Wrote:  
(12-22-2016 08:38 AM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  Hi,

Thanks,
Csaba
Browsing through the old forum, I've heard of this mythical "Let and Get" function that the 17B can do.

For the regression function, the basic independent variable and is it even possible to calculate for the R-Squared?

Use the 17Bii+ manual. This will be help how can you use the statistics on your calc. The two calculator is very similar and the menu structure is same. Link: http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00363348.pdf

You can calculate R^2 of course.

Can you post here the multiple regression function what you want to use?!

Csaba
12-23-2016, 10:24 AM
(12-22-2016 10:21 PM)Namir Wrote:  Note sure you can do multiple regression (Z =a + b*X + c*Y) with this calculator.

Pls send a link, if any!

Thanks,
Csaba
12-23-2016, 01:02 PM
(12-22-2016 10:24 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  You can calculate R^2 of course.

Can you post here the multiple regression function what you want to use?!

Csaba

Y-hat, SD, t-value, R-squared, VIF, and the basic Multiple Regression Formula, if possible?

[Image: DBCljVI.jpg]

And to get the summation of each variable comparison is helpful. Like the one found in the simple linear regression.
12-23-2016, 02:04 PM
The HP-17BII manual mentions ONLY linear regression. You need other machines or software like Excel to do multiple linear(ized) regression.

There is a trick to transform multiple regression to linear regression:

y = a + b*x + c*z

y - a = b*x + c*z

(y - a) / z = c + b *(x/z)

You assume a, calculate values for Y=(y-a)/z and X=(x/z), and then do a linear regression between Y and X. You repeat this process by varying the value of "a" until you maximize R-square.

Namir
12-23-2016, 02:30 PM
You need three lists: One for X1, one for X2 and one for Y values.
Than you can make SOLVE equations for summations and for b1, b2 and a.

If you have these (b1, b2, a) coefficients, you can calculate predicted Y values.
And you can calculate other properties of coefficients (standard deviation, etc...)

Study the SOLVE in the 17BII+ manual and you can see this is really easy to do.

Csaba
12-23-2016, 05:16 PM
(12-23-2016 02:04 PM)Namir Wrote:  The HP-17BII manual mentions ONLY linear regression.

...and then do a linear regression between Y and X. You repeat this process by varying the value of "a" until you maximize R-square.

Namir
Speaking of linear regression, there is a page for the 17BII+ on HP's website that deals with the topic.

Furthermore, while the solver in the HP-17BII is powerful, calculation speed is not fast - particularly with complex solver equations. Your patience will be rewarded.

Alan
12-25-2016, 11:55 PM
If anyone has succeeded to implement multiple linear regression involving two independent variables using the HP17BII, I like to hear the details from you!

Namir

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)