HP Prime wireless kit
02-20-2014, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2014 09:50 PM by Mic.)
HP Prime wireless kit
Hello,

HP just released an official presentation video for wireless kit for HP Prime
http://h20621.www2.hp.com/video-gallery/...C/r/video/

A nice item Smile

EDIT : here is picture :

[Image: prime_wirelesskit.png]

http://mic.nic.free.fr - Youtube - Facebook
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2014, 09:41 PM
RE: HP Prime wireless module
Real picture :

[Image: HP-Prime-Kit.jpg]

02-21-2014, 02:57 AM
RE: HP Prime wireless kit
Nice! This will really allow the Prime to takeover the classroom with its great student/teacher interface abilities (not in the Borg way).

But what about just the average user? will the wireless kit allow me to not need a USB cable to connect the Prime to my PC? Should I assume I can get to the connectivity kit functions (like transferring programs, et.al.) similarly?

And what is the price for the wireless kit and is it available to all and not just educators and students? I couldn't find it on amazon.

On a clear disk, you can seek forever.
02-21-2014, 04:04 AM
Looks very cool too bad is with the kit only.

By the way, in the video the first animation shows the calculator with 2 protective cases hahaha Tongue first one opens and there is another on the bottom

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Indeed Tongue

02-22-2014, 03:05 PM
I was more impressed by the 5000 mAh battery and the ceiling lights that were floating in the air. Smile
02-22-2014, 09:56 PM
You guys are much more observant than I am... I just watched the video.

This means I'll have to go watch all of YouTube.com again, just to see what I've missed in the videos I've watched. Could take some time...

--Bob Prosperi
02-22-2014, 10:03 PM
Did you noticed that it is still a prototype ? the back is white.

Patrice
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Albert Einstein
02-23-2014, 06:33 AM
Maybe a 5000 mAh battery is good for supplying energy to both calculator and wireless kit. Chinese Changhong company makes 5000 mAh battery for smartphones.

02-23-2014, 07:13 AM
Does a 5000mA/h battery last longer or does it just deliver more current?
To me it tells there is a bigger pipe, not a bigger tank to store electricity.
02-23-2014, 07:25 AM
Battery will last longer, mAh represents the charge of the battery: i.e. a device that uses 5A will deplete that 5000 mAh battery in 1 hour aprox.

02-23-2014, 12:34 PM
So this is both max amp and capacity. Interesting thanks for taking the pain to educate me, now I know it is actually worth paying for the extra cost of higher range batteries... But I spoil this topic with digressions. Closing parenthesis.
02-23-2014, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 02:45 PM by John R. Graham.)
No. It's only a measure of capacity. Although for a variety of reasons it not completely linear, for the purpose of explaining the term, this battery could supply 20a for 15 minutes or 1ma for 5000 hours. Maximum current capability is an entirely different specification.

- John
02-23-2014, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2014 10:25 PM by Joe Horn.)
Uh oh... I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors, but does this mean that our Primes are obsolete, and a new design is coming? Check it out: the battery in the video has its terminals on the LEFT side (of the top edge of the battery), whereas all the currently sold Primes have their battery terminals on the RIGHT side.

Two possibilities immediately spring to mind.

(1) No biggie: This might be just a simple screwup on the part of the makers of the video. After all, it's 100% computer graphics, and maybe nobody told them which side the terminals are on, so they looked in a Galaxy S3 and copied its left-side design.

(2) BIG biggie: Almost all the high-capacity batteries for the Galaxy S3 are thicker, and require a replacement back cover for the phone to accommodate the bulging battery. But the phone's terminals (on the left side) are at the same depth as for the thin batteries (obviously). This means that NONE of those high-capacity thick batteries will fit the Prime, even with a replacement back cover. Could THIS be the reason for the goofy-looking double cover in the video? Maybe they are hiding the bulging battery not because it's ugly but because it reveals that high-capacity batteries cannot be used with existing Primes?!? Maybe this is an unintentional sneak peek at a newly redesigned Prime with its battery terminals on the left side so that high-capacity batteries can be used? In which case your Prime is already obsolete. That would suck.

Just a guess. But it has me worried. I hope somebody at HP can stop this scary rumor which I just started.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
02-23-2014, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2014 11:00 PM by eried.)
(02-23-2014 10:24 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Just a guess. But it has me worried. I hope somebody at HP can stop this scary rumor which I just started.

If you check under the battery cover, there are 2 notches (with different sizes) to avoid inserting the battery flipped. The battery connector is soldered to the pcb, and I can imagine that part being updated with a new connector on the opposite side with just a pcb revision, but the case and the notches are bundled in one piece, and I think it would be a very bad business to get another injection mold to be done to flip the battery.

I think it is just a crappy 3d animation (and fairly outdated too, I would have prefered if HP just made a plain 2d modern looking animations to show off the device capabilities because these 3d ones almost fall in the uncanny valley where you don't know if the device is real or just a far future prototype).

[Image: Image%202014-02-23%20at%207.52.32%20PM.png]

The battery was probably a stock model, I don't see it fitting with the notches in the video.

02-25-2014, 05:40 AM
Also, in one part of the video, as mentionned by TI-Planet, you'll notice that the calculator has two slidecases on (one on the back and one on the front), even though on the real calc, it's impossible to fit two at once.

-Dream of Omnimaga
https://djomnimaga.music-2000.com
02-25-2014, 07:01 AM
Hello,

>But what about just the average user? will the wireless kit allow me to not need a USB cable to connect the Prime to my PC?

Yes, BUT!
Wireless kit comes as a pack of 30 calcualtor side dongles (Micro USB) and 1 antena (Normal USB).
In theory, you are suposed to connect the antena to the PC and the dongles to the calculator.
HOWEVER!
The hardware/software in the antena and the dongles is the same.
This means that if you connect 1 dongle to the PC and one to the calculator(s), you get the same functionality (with the exception of lower wireless range as the Dongle does not have a high gain antena). You would also need to find a normal USB to micro USB adaptor.

SO! what it means is that if somone (Eric for example) was to buy 1 30 calc kit, he could 'separate it' in 15 pairs and sell them separately...

>Should I assume I can get to the connectivity kit functions (like transferring programs, et.al.) similarly?

Yep. Calculator connected wirelessly apear just like calculator connected directly through USB in the con kit.

Cyrille
02-25-2014, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2014 07:18 AM by debrouxl.)
Interesting, thanks for the information Smile

Do existing versions of the CK support the wireless dongle / antenna ?
Is there a new USB protocol (which could be faster and more reliable than HID, but unless it's e.g. one of the modem classes, require driver install), or do dongles / antennas just fake a HID host / device ?
02-25-2014, 03:13 PM
(02-25-2014 07:15 AM)debrouxl Wrote:  Do existing versions of the CK support the wireless dongle / antenna ?
Lets guess that new firmware and CK will be available when the wireless kit will be there.

Patrice
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Albert Einstein
02-26-2014, 03:02 AM
(02-25-2014 07:01 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  The hardware/software in the antena and the dongles is the same.
This means that if you connect 1 dongle to the PC and one to the calculator(s), you get the same functionality (with the exception of lower wireless range as the Dongle does not have a high gain antena)...

Yep. Calculator connected wirelessly apear just like calculator connected directly through USB in the con kit.

Cyrille

Thanks Cyrille, for USEFUL and encouraging information!

What does a full kit cost, where available, etc?

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)