Changes to PPL in latest firmware?
11-02-2016, 11:03 PM
Changes to PPL in latest firmware?
Hi There,
I was wondering if there were ant changes to the way PPL compiles, it's ability to use long filenames, etc. in the newest firmware?

I have a trove of software written in PPL the works on one calculator with firmware of 2015 vintage, and the android app on my phone, but doesn't run on a second that has the newest 08292016 update. I have gone so far as wiping out everything on the second calculator and reinstalled everything, then hand restoring all the libraries from known good text (unicode) backups (I double check this by wiping the android app, reinstalling, and re-inserting all the libraries from text backups. It works fine.).

The software contains in two main function libraries, both of which checkout fine when debugged on the calculator. However when I run the check function against the two menu libraries which call the function libraries, both return syntax errors at function names (functions which are present and accounted for in the function libs).

This is a bit on the frustrating side as you can imagine. Has anyone encountered something similar when moving to the newest firmware?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2016, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2016 11:24 PM by Carlos295pz.)
RE: Changes to PPL in latest firmware?
In some cases the names of the programs should not contain spaces.

On the other hand:
Transparencies have been reversed in some commands.
Was added the definition of transparencies with {c, alpha} in some commands.
If you have used the character "\", you should replace "\\".

Viga C | TD | FB
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2016, 09:01 AM
The latest release in the last few days only fixed things for users of specific PC's.

The release thats been out for some months now limits function names to 31 characters.

So I would suggest making your names shorter.

You might also want to check out that the one that compiles hasnt got the function already defined elsewhere (a different spelling exported in a backup, for example). Perhaps adding a forward reference to the definition will help?

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2016, 02:36 PM
In fact, lengths of only 31 characters was ONLY the ever meant to be the supported length. Anything longer had the potential to corrupt memory in some situations.

Basically, 3 things in general things happened.

1. Name length was enforced stricter to avoid problems.
2. Names duplicating what was supposed to be "system" commands were enforced for the same reason.
3. Imrovements were made to allow direct use of variables by the CAS, but requires some EVAL("arg string") calls to be inserted in places you were trying to pass a string to the CAS and depending on the auto-eval of a string.

When you press CHECK, is it putting your cursor in the right spot where the error is at? If you want, you can post your program and I or someone else will be able to quickly correct it.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
11-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the insight and assistance! We are back up and running 100% of the syntax errors were method names over 31 characters (yes they were probably on the verbose side....).

This brings me to one other question, and a feature request:
1) Why won't the "check" function catch method names over 31 characters at the "export" declaration, but can will when that method is applied in a function?

2) Can the debugger be more verbose in its error messages? While "Syntax error" is great to know, it doesn't narrow the field a whole lot. It would be nicer if it there was a bit more info as to what it found. Better yet, why not include a more verbose debugger in the connectivity kit (along with find and replace..across multiple open programs..or better yet just embed Notepad++ in it...) and leave the cryptic one on the calculator? Because let's be frank, when you have ~12,000 lines of code, you're not working on ye olde calculator no matter what kind of masochist you are.

Thanks again
Nate
11-03-2016, 03:21 PM
a problem, I had defined a program with the following name
"SolvingQuadraticEquationStepToStep"

PHP Code:
export SolvingQuadraticEquationStepToStep()
begin

end

SolvingQuadraticEquationStepToStep() this does not work

but yes

SolvingQuadraticEquationStepToS()

the program editor must detect or display a message and not let it compile.

if I define another function there will be a conflict
PHP Code:
export SolvingQuadraticEquationStepToS()
begin
return 0;
end
11-03-2016, 03:21 PM
(11-03-2016 03:04 PM)acmeanvil Wrote:  This brings me to one other question, and a feature request:
1) Why won't the "check" function catch method names over 31 characters at the "export" declaration, but can will when that method is applied in a function?

Yes it should! Fixing....

Quote:2) Can the debugger be more verbose in its error messages? While "Syntax error" is great to know, it doesn't narrow the field a whole lot. It would be nicer if it there was a bit more info as to what it found. Better yet, why not include a more verbose debugger in the connectivity kit (along with find and replace..across multiple open programs..or better yet just embed Notepad++ in it...) and leave the cryptic one on the calculator? Because let's be frank, when you have ~12,000 lines of code, you're not working on ye olde calculator no matter what kind of masochist you are.

Yes, all of those things are items "on the list" for improvement.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
11-03-2016, 04:42 PM
(11-03-2016 03:21 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Yes it should! Fixing....

Great! So we'll have new firmware by the end of the day? Wink

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
11-07-2016, 07:58 AM
Hello

"Great! So we'll have new firmware by the end of the day? Wink"

Yes, of course... For one definition of "day"...

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)