How do I load a LIF into EMU71/WIn?
10-18-2016, 01:00 AM
How do I load a LIF into EMU71/WIn?
Actually I would like to transfer a LIF into my HP-71, but how shall I do?

I have the PIL-BOX and the llatest version of IL-PER.

Thanks,
Matti
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2016, 04:17 AM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2016 05:02 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
RE: How do I load a LIF into EMU71/WIn?
Hello Matti,

Here is the procedure to transfer a file from a LIF file on a PC to the HP-71B
Setup #1: [HP-71B] <-> [HP-IL] <-> [PIL-Box] <-> [USB] <-> [Windows] <-> [ILPER.EXE] <-> [LIF-File]
  • Plug the PIL-Box on the USB port
  • Start the "Device Manager", under "Ports (COM & LPT)", find the "USB Serial Port (COM?)" port associated with your PIL-Box
  • Start the "ILPER.EXE" application
    • In "PIL-Box Link" select the COM port associated with your PIL-Box
    • In "Drive HP9114B", press the "..." button right of the text field
    • In "Open" dialog box, select your LIF file then press "Open"
    • you should see the LIF filename you just selected in the "Drive 9114B" text box
    • Press the "Start" button on the right
  • Connect your HP-71B to the HP-IL side of the PIL-Box
  • On your HP-71B ...
    • Power on
    • To activate the HP-IL interface, type: RESTORE IO [ENDLINE]
    • To reset the interface (optional), type: RESET HPIL [ENDLINE]
    • To list the content of the LIF file, type: CAT :MASSMEM [ENDLINE]
    • To copy the file, type: COPY filename-in-lif:MASSMEM TO filename-in-71b [ENDLINE]

Here is the procedure to transfer a file from an HP-IL mass storage to the Emu71 on your PC
Setup #2: [HP-82161A or HP-9114A or HP-9114B] <-> [HP-IL] <-> [PIL-Box] <-> [USB] <-> [Windows] <-> [ILPILBOX.EXE] <-> [TCP/IP] <-> [EMU71.EXE]
  • Connect your physical mass storage to the HP-IL side of the PIL-Box
  • Start the "Device Manager", under "Ports (COM & LPT)", find the "USB Serial Port (COM?)" port associated with your PIL-Box
  • Start the "ILPILBOX.EXE" application
    • In "PIL-Box Link", select the COM port associated with your PIL-Box
    • In "Out TCP/IP Address:", enter: localhost
    • In "Out Port:", enter: 60001
    • In "In Port:", enter: 60000
  • Start the "EMU71.EXE" application
    • Menu "Edit", select sub-menu "Port Configuration..."
    • In the "Port" box, select "Port0" on the right side then press "Add" button
    • In the "Configuration" box, select "HPIL" in module type, then press the "..." button under "Filename:"
    • In "Open" dialog box, select the HPIL.BIN ROM file then press "Open" to go back to the "Port Configuration..." dialog
    • In the "Configuration" box, press "Configure" push button in TCP/IP Configuration
    • In "HP-IL Interface Setup" dialog box
      • In "Out Port:", enter: 60000
      • In "In Port:", enter: 60001
      • Press the "OK" button on the bottom
    • In the "Port" box, press the "Apply" button
    • Press the "OK" button at the bottom of "Port Configuration..." dialog
  • On Emu71 ...
    • Power on
    • To copy the file, type: COPY filename-in-lif:MASSMEM TO filename-in-Emu71 [ENDLINE]

Sylvain

edit: add setup#2
12-29-2017, 06:19 PM
(12-29-2017 05:18 PM)mstram Wrote:  I just tried all your steps in your post re: the Emu71
This on Win 7 / Emu71 1.09

On entering RESTORE IO, I get "ERR: Stmt not found"

Mike

emu71.ini :
Code:

; emu71.ini        Emu71 initialisation file
;
[MODULES]
; 10 softwired modules max., plus 1 hardwired module
; main RAM in port 0 only
; port(1-5) type(ROM,RAM,HRD) size(Ko) file
0 RAM 32 ram00.bin
1 ROM 16 hpilrom.bin
5 RAM 32 iram50.bin
;
[DEVICES]
DISPLAY
HDRIVE1
HDRIVE2
DOSLINK
LPRTER1

It appears you are mixing EMU71/DOS (JF Garnier) and EMU71/Win (Christoph Gisselink).

The thread above refers (primarily) to the Windows version (EMU71/Win) where the HP-IL module is optional, thus RESTORE IO is needed to initialize the loop if you are using it.

EMU71/DOS (which it seems you might be using from the .ini file reference, which only applies to the Win version) has an HP-IL module "built-in" and therefore RESTORE IO is not needed.

But you specifically mention Using EMU71/Win 1.09...

The error message you get implies the HP-IL Module is not installed, or not installed properly (the RESTORE IO command comes from this module, and the command is not recognized).

Have you installed (via Edit... Port configuration) an HP-IL module and configured it to communicate with ILPer via TCP/IP ? The EMU manual explains how to configure the HP-IL module and the docs that come with the latest ILPer client explain the TCP/IP configuration.

Give all that a try and update this thread with questions or issues.

--Bob Prosperi
12-30-2017, 12:33 AM
(12-29-2017 06:19 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  It appears you are mixing EMU71/DOS (JF Garnier) and EMU71/Win (Christoph Gisselink).

The thread above refers (primarily) to the Windows version (EMU71/Win) where the HP-IL module is optional, thus RESTORE IO is needed to initialize the loop if you are using it.

EMU71/DOS (which it seems you might be using from the .ini file reference, which only applies to the Win version) has an HP-IL module "built-in" and therefore RESTORE IO is not needed.

But you specifically mention Using EMU71/Win 1.09...

The error message you get implies the HP-IL Module is not installed, or not installed properly (the RESTORE IO command comes from this module, and the command is not recognized).

Have you installed (via Edit... Port configuration) an HP-IL module and configured it to communicate with ILPer via TCP/IP ? The EMU manual explains how to configure the HP-IL module and the docs that come with the latest ILPer client explain the TCP/IP configuration.

Give all that a try and update this thread with questions or issues.

Ya, that was exactly what I was doing Wink (You managed to reply before I deleted my message).

Making some progress, I have the doslink "module" working :

I installed the Hpilrom.bin (module type HPIL, outport 60001, inport=60000), then started ILDoslink.exe.

After installing the Hpilrom, emu71 (of course) now accepts "PRINTER IS :DOSLINK"

----
Now how to get the ILVideo80 / ILVideo modules working ?
There doesn't seem to be any settings for them.
When I press the START button, on the video module it just "releases" back to "off"

Mike
12-30-2017, 01:06 AM
(12-30-2017 12:33 AM)mstram Wrote:  ----
Now how to get the ILVideo80 / ILVideo modules working ?
There doesn't seem to be any settings for them.
When I press the START button, on the video module it just "releases" back to "off"

The virtual printer window in ILPer can be used as a simple display window. Use:

DISPLAY IS DISPLAY (or DISPLAY IS PRINTER) and the 'dumb' printer window acts a simple display, displaying all LCD output.

Also, simultaneously, you can use the same window as a printer, then PRINT or PLIST to the printer and then select and Copy and Paste into a text editor. For simple and short output, you may find this easier than PRINTing to DOSLINK.

For the Video modules, you need to connect them into the TCP/IP virtual device interface chain by configuring the addresses 60000 -> 60001 -> 60002 ... and the last device back -> 60000.

And recall you must use OFF IO when you are done using the loop, or else the 71 (real or virtual) will be very slow, always looking for the IL loop.

Once all this is mastered, also take a look at pyILPer, which includes a virtual terminal window, utilizing the PC keyboard and a dedicated display window (separate from the virtual printer).

--Bob Prosperi
12-30-2017, 01:46 AM
Ok, I found the ILPerAdd.htm file which had the missing info (video tcip setings):

"To set the above mentioned virtual HP-IL mode parameters call the "TCP/IP Setup..." item in the ILPer system menu (you get it by Alt+Space Bar or a left mouse click on the symbol in the top left corner or a right mouse click on the title bar).
06-14-2020, 01:13 PM
Connecting PIL-BOX to EMU71 to share a drive - WIN10.

This all started with a desire to get the content of the CMTTOOLS onto a 71B and test if an EPROM was deleted properly before even thinking of burning new content on it.

The CMTTOOLS ROM I have a copy off, are:

CMTTOOLS.LIF
CMTTOOLS.BIN

the BIN is an image for the amazing EMU71B (thanks to Christoph and JF for making this possible and available!!)

The LIF-Image is - well - a "Floppy" with 2 files - CMTTOOLS as ROM and ROMPCOPY as a LEX

With the CMTTOOLS as a ROM image, I can't seem to be able to do much other than to copy it somewhere else, it won't do much once copied. (Maybe I can be corrected here - I am ready for that)

BUT I can mount the BIN image into a :PORT(x) on the EMu71 and see the content files in the ROM.

I can also see that the files are less than 3K in total, so it does not take a full 32K ROM-Image to get my hands on the files, which I plan to add to an EPROM to be burned in the near future

This is the list in the ROM-Image CAT :PORT(2)

- CLONE BAS
- EPRMSTWR LEX
- EPRMCOPY LEX
- TEST32KE LEX
- TEST64KE LEX

So now I start thinking about adding these 5 files to the LIF Image to move them to the 71B.

I follow the directions below and my head starts spinning. The EMU71 will NOT connect to the IL, no matter what I do. I even learned a thing or two about firewalls...

A couple of repeats to no avail and a bit later it dawns on me - COM4 and TCP/IP in ILPer [PIL-Box Link] is NOT the same thing.

So here goes...

You can't have BOTH COM4 and TCP/IP at the same time in ILPER, you have to swap between one or the other. (again here, I am open for a change of headset).

So COM4 is for the physical loop with the PIL-BOX and TCP/IP is for the emulated EMU71 "loop".

You can work on the same file - LIF in this case - but NOT at the same time

/Kim

(10-18-2016 04:17 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Hello Matti,

Here is the procedure to transfer a file from a LIF file on a PC to the HP-71B
Setup #1: [HP-71B] <-> [HP-IL] <-> [PIL-Box] <-> [USB] <-> [Windows] <-> [ILPER.EXE] <-> [LIF-File]
  • Start the "ILPER.EXE" application
    • In "PIL-Box Link" select the COM port associated with your PIL-Box
    • In "Drive HP9114B", press the "..." button right of the text field
    • In "Open" dialog box, select your LIF file then press "Open"
    • you should see the LIF filename you just selected in the "Drive 9114B" text box
  • Connect your HP-71B to the HP-IL side of the PIL-Box
  • On your HP-71B ...
    • Power on
    • To copy the file, type: COPY filename-in-lif:MASSMEM TO filename-in-71b [ENDLINE]

Here is the procedure to transfer a file from an HP-IL mass storage to the Emu71 on your PC
Setup #2: [HP-82161A or HP-9114A or HP-9114B] <-> [HP-IL] <-> [PIL-Box] <-> [USB] <-> [Windows] <-> [ILPILBOX.EXE] <-> [TCP/IP] <-> [EMU71.EXE]
  • Connect your physical mass storage to the HP-IL side of the PIL-Box
  • Start the "ILPILBOX.EXE" application
    • In "PIL-Box Link", select the COM port associated with your PIL-Box
    • In "Out Port:", enter: 60001
    • In "In Port:", enter: 60000
  • Start the "EMU71.EXE" application
    • Menu "Edit", select sub-menu "Port Configuration..."
    • In the "Port" box, select "Port0" on the right side then press "Add" button
    • In the "Configuration" box, select "HPIL" in module type, then press the "..." button under "Filename:"
    • In "Open" dialog box, select the HPIL.BIN ROM file then press "Open" to go back to the "Port Configuration..." dialog
    • In the "Configuration" box, press "Configure" push button in TCP/IP Configuration
    • In "HP-IL Interface Setup" dialog box
      • In "Out Port:", enter: 60000
      • In "In Port:", enter: 60001
      • Press the "OK" button on the bottom
    • In the "Port" box, press the "Apply" button
    • Press the "OK" button at the bottom of "Port Configuration..." dialog
  • On Emu71 ...
    • Power on
    • To copy the file, type: COPY filename-in-lif:MASSMEM TO filename-in-Emu71 [ENDLINE]

Sylvain

edit: add setup#2
06-14-2020, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2020 02:06 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(06-14-2020 01:13 PM)KimH Wrote:  With the CMTTOOLS as a ROM image, I can't seem to be able to do much other than to copy it somewhere else, it won't do much once copied. (Maybe I can be corrected here - I am ready for that)

The ROM image can be configured in Emu71 or ROMCOPYied into an IRAM.

(06-14-2020 01:13 PM)KimH Wrote:  BUT I can mount the BIN image into a :PORT(x) on the EMu71 and see the content files in the ROM.

The BIN image is likely an IRAM/EPROM image. It's slightly different than a ROM image.

If you examine the image with a hex editor and the beginning of the file is "3B DD DD ED" then it's an IRAM/EPROM otherwise it's a ROM.

Just to be clear, ROM and IRAM images are NOT like LEX files which can simply be copied to the 71B to make them work. ROM and IRAM images need to be configured into the system in order to work.

Note: Many of the tools use a .BIN extension for both ROM and IRAM images, which annoys me to no end. I suggest you identify the files to avoid confusion. I prefix IRAM images with "I_" to tell them apart.

Dave

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)