HP-10 inside / refilling
09-28-2016, 07:00 AM
HP-10 inside / refilling
Dear community,
does anybody know / have a picture or some instructions to "refill" the printing calculator hp-10 ?
Thank you in advance !
Frank
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2016, 08:49 AM
RE: HP-10 inside / refilling
Hello!

What exactly do you mean by "refill"? The battery pack or the printer?

To refill the battery pack, you can carefully open it and replace the orginal NiCd cells with any kind of recharchable AA sized batteries. I use 2500mAh NiMh cells which last seemingly forever in these calculators. The contact springs are already there, no soldering or anything is required.

To refill the printer you need to find thermal paper of the "correct" size. The original paper is very hard - or impossible - to find after all those years. There have been threads about it going on here in the past where this and that brand of paper was suggested as replacement. But these replacements are often as difficult to source as the original paper especially in parts of the world which have different chains of office supply stores... (e.g. these ones: http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...read=24891 or http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=149052 ).
With some luck you can find thermal paper rolls which are exactly 1,5 inches wide (e.g. for taxi meters - to be found at Amazon). Or you just go to any stationary shop and get rolls for credit card terminals or other electronic cash and use a box cutter or fine saw to trim it to a width of 1 1/2 in. I've done that once, printed three lines just to see if the printer works and never used it again...

Regards
Max
09-28-2016, 03:42 PM
RE: HP-10 inside / refilling
For my HP-10 & HP-19C calculators, I am using 38 mm by 50 feet roll thermal paper. (search for "38 mm X 50 Thermal Paper" on eBay)
This is the same paper used in the taxi cab meters and the normal price is a little less than $30.00 USD for a box of 100 rolls.
These rolls are too thick (1" 3/8) and need to be reduced to 1" 3/16. Either you remove the excess of paper or you create 2 rolls with one (what I do).

For my TopCat, 82143A, 82162A & 82240A/B, I am using thermal paper of 2-1/4 inches x 75 feet roll.
2-1/4 inches thermal paper roll can be easily found at Staples in multiple lengths (50', 75', 85', etc.) and packages (3, 10, 50, 100, etc.).

Sylvain

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)