HP50G File Manager Issue with SD card
09-12-2016, 07:17 PM
HP50G File Manager Issue with SD card
I am not able to purge/delete files in sub-directories on my SD card while using the
File Manager on my 50G. The curious thing is that my 49G+ does not have this problem and it has the same firmware revision as the 50G (Revision 2.15, 2009). Is this a known problem with the 50G or I am the only one who has this issue?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2016, 09:29 PM
RE: HP50G File Manager Issue with SD card
(09-12-2016 07:17 PM)John Colvin Wrote:  I am not able to purge/delete files in sub-directories on my SD card while using the
File Manager on my 50G. The curious thing is that my 49G+ does not have this problem and it has the same firmware revision as the 50G (Revision 2.15, 2009). Is this a known problem with the 50G or I am the only one who has this issue?

I'm able to purge objects in subdirectories of my SD card on my 50g. I'm not, however, able to delete the subdirectories themselves with the Filer. I believe this is normal. SDFiler will allow the deletion of empty subdirectories, though.

Are you able to enter a tagged object name onto the stack and purge it that way? For example:

:3:"SUBDIR/TESTFILE" PURGE

Under normal circumstances, that should work as well.
09-13-2016, 03:15 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2016 03:16 AM by John Colvin.)
(09-12-2016 09:29 PM)DavidM Wrote:  
(09-12-2016 07:17 PM)John Colvin Wrote:  I am not able to purge/delete files in sub-directories on my SD card while using the

I'm able to purge objects in subdirectories of my SD card on my 50g. I'm not, however, able to delete the subdirectories themselves with the Filer. I believe this is normal. SDFiler will allow the deletion of empty subdirectories, though.

Are you able to enter a tagged object name onto the stack and purge it that way? For example:

:3:"SUBDIR/TESTFILE" PURGE

Under normal circumstances, that should work as well.

No, that didn't work. The fact that I was able to purge files in this SD sub-directory on my HP49G+ seems to me to be something corrupted in the firmware on the 50G.
Thanks anyway for the suggestion.
09-13-2016, 08:40 AM
Did you test this in the 49g+ and 50g by swapping the SD card between the two calculators, or by using two different SD cards (of same spec)?

Can you perform other write operations on the SD card in the 50g? If not, the card may be write-protected (or the WP switch in the 50g's SD card reader defective).

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
09-13-2016, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2016 11:28 AM by wojtek.)
(09-13-2016 08:40 AM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  (or the WP switch in the 50g's SD card reader defective).
Very good clue. I recalled now that one of my devices had problem writing to one sd card. Its card reader had a little bit tighter slot and/or the card was perhaps a llittle bit thicker. While inserting the card it was moving the switch to write protect and while removing again to unlock. With other cards the device worked ok and the card also worked ok with other devices. I just removed the wp switch in the card. BTW can you remove single files on sd card? this could be a decisive test
09-14-2016, 04:33 AM
Let me be clear. The same SD card was tried in both the 50G and the 49G+. The write protect was disabled on the SD card so I could purge files in the SD card root directory on both devices. However, when I attempted to purge a file in any sub-directory on the SD card, the purge failed on the 50G but succeeded on the 49G+. Both calculators have the same firmware revision.
09-14-2016, 04:47 AM
(09-14-2016 04:33 AM)John Colvin Wrote:  Let me be clear. The same SD card was tried in both the 50G and the 49G+. The write protect was disabled on the SD card so I could purge files in the SD card root directory on both devices. However, when I attempted to purge a file in any sub-directory on the SD card, the purge failed on the 50G but succeeded on the 49G+. Both calculators have the same firmware revision.

Are you able to save a new object to an existing or new subdirectory of the card using the 50g? I'm curious as to whether the problem is for all writing activities or simply for purging.
09-14-2016, 06:51 AM
(09-14-2016 04:33 AM)John Colvin Wrote:  .............................................. However, when I attempted to purge a file in any sub-directory on the SD card, the purge failed on the 50G but succeeded on the 49G+.
I would start with restoring factory settings on 50g or taking off all the batteries for at least a few minutes
09-15-2016, 03:09 AM
(09-14-2016 04:47 AM)DavidM Wrote:  
(09-14-2016 04:33 AM)John Colvin Wrote:  Let me be clear. The same SD card was tried in both the 50G and the 49G+. The write protect was disabled on the SD card so I could purge files in the SD card root directory on both devices. However, when I attempted to purge a file in any sub-directory on the SD card, the purge failed on the 50G but succeeded on the 49G+. Both calculators have the same firmware revision.

Are you able to save a new object to an existing or new subdirectory of the card using the 50g? I'm curious as to whether the problem is for all writing activities or simply for purging.
I can't access a sub-directory on the SD with a MOVE or COPY since the directories on my SD card are not displayed as a directory tree. I can however move or copy objects to the root directory as well as purge objects from the root directory on the SD.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)