[Solved] Upgrading the Old-Fashioned Way on Surface Pro 3
09-12-2016, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2016 10:39 PM by JamesWilliams.)
[Solved] Upgrading the Old-Fashioned Way on Surface Pro 3
This question got buried in another long thread and was unseen, so I'll ask again in a fresh thread.

I'm one of those users who can't get the Connectivity Kit to work (it gives the error "The Connectivity Kit has stopped working. Windows is looking for a solution to the problem"). However, I have been able to unzip all the files in the HP_Prime_Calculator_Firmware_20160829 file. Now that I have these files, can I upgrade my calculator the old-fashioned way, the way we did it before we had the Connectivity Kit? If so, can you please remind us how to do that? Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2016, 04:41 PM
RE: Upgrading the Old-Fashioned Way
Yes, see my post in the thread http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-6828.html
09-14-2016, 12:40 AM
Thanks very much, parisse, but that looks a bit risky. What's my rollback plan if it fails?

Has anybody else tried this with version 10637?
09-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Once the files are in your <documents>/HP Connectivity Kit/Firmware directory, put the calculator into "recovery" mode. This can be done by holding SYMB, and either booting the unit up or pin resetting in the back.

Now go to the connectivity kit install directory and run the Updater.exe directly. It should detect the calculator and do its thing.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-15-2016, 10:12 PM
Re: Upgrading the Old-Fashioned Way
Tim, that worked! Thank you. I now have r 10637 running on my Prime, so this gives a solution for those of us running Microsoft Surface Pro 3s and 4s.

Some feedback on recovery mode:
To go into recovery mode, with the calculator already on, I had to press the Symb button first and only then the On button. That seems to contradict this link: http://www.hpprime.de/files/composite_fi...y_mode.pdf. I found that if I pressed the On button simultaneously with Symb, or even an instant before, it didn't go into recovery mode.
09-15-2016, 10:50 PM
RE: [Solved] Upgrading the Old-Fashioned Way on Surface Pro 3
(09-15-2016 10:12 PM)JamesWilliams Wrote:  Tim, that worked! Thank you. I now have r 10637 running on my Prime, so this gives a solution for those of us running Microsoft Surface Pro 3s and 4s.

Some feedback on recovery mode:
To go into recovery mode, with the calculator already on, I had to press the Symb button first and only then the On button. That seems to contradict this link: http://www.hpprime.de/files/composite_fi...y_mode.pdf. I found that if I pressed the On button simultaneously with Symb, or even an instant before, it didn't go into recovery mode.

What i normally do is turn the calculator off, hold down SYMB, and then click the ON button. You can get into the recovery mode at any time this way - it doesn't need to be only on a full boot.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)