Update Failed and locked Prime
09-10-2016, 10:49 PM
Update Failed and locked Prime
I updated the new CK & VC version 10637 okay. When I tried to update the Prime from the CK menu Help-Update Calculator the following happened:
The prime started the download in the V13 recovery mode, and when the blue progress bar was all the way to the right the Prime went black, i.e. will not turn on, will not reset, with the various methods posted by TW. Can someone please shed some light on this issue of losing USB Comm during the download process. It's not the USB port or cable and it's not the battery. I am looking for a systematic procedure to get the Prime back to life. Everything was working before the upgrade.

Please see my previous post on 05-26-2016, 08:18 AM.

Thanks,
minus1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2016, 01:23 AM
RE: Update Failed and locked Prime
Have you tried:

Take out the Prime's battery
Open up CK on the computer
Hold down <Symb> key
Connect USB cable
Is there a prompt to update?

That worked for me, and my Prime also went black, and would not turn on.
09-11-2016, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2016 08:09 PM by minus1.)
Helge: I performed the steps you proposed. Yes, the CK provided an update prompt which I accepted. It went through the update again, and then the screen went black again after the update. I can still get back to the recovery screen by repeating the steps in your procedure. Is there a way when in recovery mode to get to any other low level menu that will allow me to complete the upgrade? I have downloaded the firmware file to my PC from the HP site. How can I manually force the update to load from my PC rather than the net?

Thanks for your post!
minus1
09-11-2016, 11:57 PM
I would try another computer with a 2.0 USB port, if possible.
If that doesn't work, call HP Support. They will take care of you, I'm pretty sure.
09-12-2016, 05:50 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2016 07:49 AM by parisse.)
You can perhaps try with the current firmware files
https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=658248
and usbtool
https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=19616
Erase BESTAARM.ROM, MASTER.DAT, APPSDISK.DAT.
Update the file usbtool.ini with the current firmware filenames, i.e. in
UpdateItem01 = .\BESTAARM.ROM 0 0x00000000
UpdateItem02 = .\MASTER.DAT 0 0x00100000
UpdateItem03 = .\APPSDISK.DAT 0 0x00500000
replace BESTAARM.ROM with PRIME_OS.ROM, MASTER.DAT with PRIME_MASTER.DAT and APPSDISK.DAT with PRIME_APP.DAT
Reset the calc with SYMB key pressed, run usbtool on the computer, then Update and select the 1st file, then 2nd file then third file. Reset the calc.
09-12-2016, 01:56 PM
(09-10-2016 10:49 PM)minus1 Wrote:  The prime started the download in the V13 recovery mode, and when the blue progress bar was all the way to the right the Prime went black, i.e. will not turn on,

Hello,

That progress bar should have run 3 times. Did it only go once and then reboot? If so the reason things aren't working is only 1 of the 3 system files have been updated.

1. Hold down the C F and O keys (all 3) during a startup. This should get you into a menu. Run the 4 item (FLS Utility), followed by 3 (Format disk C). Exit using 9 (Reset) once complete.
2. Hold down SYMB to get into that "recovery mode" thing. Start the connkit and it will prompt you to run the update.
3. The bars should run 3 times across the screen. Then it should reboot and you should be good.
4. If it doesn't run 3 times, I'd recommend changing USB ports (like from a hub to the main computer, etc) and trying to run it again. If it still doesn't start, contact support.

Note that I've never once seen a unit that doesn't have a freshly formatted drive fail to boot.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-12-2016, 04:54 PM
I downloaded the CK to a laptop with USB 2.0 and the update worked first time as expected. This leaves me with a potential problem for a future Prime updates using my main PC. I had read some previous post at this forum of using a windows uninstaller other than MS (forgot name) to remove all HP Prime software from your PC and download again in case there was something left over for a previous upgrade in the CK or VC. I would like to thank all who chimed in on this issue. I did read TW's release notes on the improvements in the CK to prime USB comm, I hope that this will not happened again on the next update.

To TW, when this lock up occurred the Prime did go to completion (performed all three iterations of the update) the CK displayed "done" and after a slight delay the screen on the Prime went black.

Best Regards,
minus1
09-12-2016, 10:18 PM
(09-12-2016 04:54 PM)minus1 Wrote:  This leaves me with a potential problem for a future Prime updates using my main PC.

Well, the good news is that you are ready to go in the future already! Smile

The plan is to turn off the update method you just used as the default, and turn on as default a new method that will work provided a) you are on the firmware version you just installed, and b) have functional communication to the connkit.

Basically, it pushes the files across the normal connection (no rebooting, usb mode switches, etc) and then once they've all arrived the calculator reboots to update one time.

The old method will still be there, but not in normal use anymore.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)