www.hpmuseum.org infinite refresh
08-28-2016, 03:06 AM
www.hpmuseum.org infinite refresh
http://www.hpmuseum.org

I'm using Chrome 52.0.2743.116 m (64-bit) on Windows 10 Pro.

When I load the http://www.hpmuseum.org site, the home page and many/most (but not all) of the pages have this issue where the page constantly reloads at a rate of ~ .94 Hz (let's call it once per second; I timed this over 20 refreshes).

It's done this as long as I've known (months) but today I decided to mention it here. I wonder if this causes excessive hits / bandwidth consumption. It does create a problem scrolling down pages, particularly in the software library as I have to fight the loop, continually pressing ESC to try to stop the loading (it takes several tries; and have to repeat after navigating or opening a new window) and keep the pages from jumping.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks,
Nick
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2016, 12:58 PM
RE: www.hpmuseum.org infinite refresh
Have never seen this, using the site ever since the new (current) design has been here. I use IE11, IE9 and Chrome on multiple machines, including Win-10 and Win-7 regularly, and Linux and Vista on occasion.

Do you have any plugins installed? I'd try loading without them (or another machine from same location) to isolate the issue.

--Bob Prosperi
08-28-2016, 04:23 PM
On my Macintosh MacBook Pro (15" early 2011), I normally use Safari, but I tried Chrome this morning.

Chrome: Version 52.0.2743.116 (64-bit)

I experienced no refreshing like you are reporting.

And, for the record, I've never seen any activity like you reported in Safari, either.

I hope this might help as another data point.

smp
08-28-2016, 06:46 PM
(08-28-2016 12:58 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Do you have any plugins installed? I'd try loading without them (or another machine from same location) to isolate the issue.

Good call and thanks to both of you for confirming it otherwise works in Chrome.

Norton Security Toolbar 2015.7.0.69 (Part of Norton 22.7.1.32) triggers the issue.

My settings for Security Toolbar are non-standard, I turn things like search decorating off and increase the privacy settings (privacy from Norton).
08-28-2016, 06:58 PM
I compared enabled vs disabled. I don't see that it's modifying the HTML, at least not that I can see in Chrome's DOM Inspector.

The toolbar could be intercepting library calls (javascript, etc.) or altering the behavior of Chrome. I opened a support case and will probably stop using the toolbar as it's making changes I wasn't aware of.
08-28-2016, 07:35 PM
(08-28-2016 06:58 PM)Nick Wrote:  I opened a support case and will probably stop using the toolbar as it's making changes I wasn't aware of.

I was told I need to enable the toolbar to fix the issue. Pfft.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)