41CL Flash Update
08-21-2016, 06:47 AM
41CL Flash Update
My little adventure updating my 41CL ...

I have postpone updating my 41CL's (v2:2011, v3:2012 & v4:2015) for years and with the new 1024 registers module from Ángel now seems the right time to do it.

First thing I did was to download and read the excellent how-to manual (Updating the 41CL Flash) from Monte.
Second, I downloaded the 41CL Memory Reference documents of the Manuals section
Third, I downloaded the ROM files from the File Area section.

Then it became complicated and I got a lot more than I bargained for ...

After evaluating my options, I have decided to update my v3 board because if I screw up (a real possibility), I still got the v4 board working.
Next was to find out what was the update gap between 2012 and 2016, which turns out to be almost everything (62 pages or ~500 ROM images).
After that realization, it became clear that I needed to structure myself more seriously.

Starting from the mem_ref.csv file, I have created an Excel file, added new columns and started filling them.
One of the new columns that took the most time to fill-up was the filename and the YCRC validation.
Even thought most of the ROM files was included in the zip files from Monte not all was present.
Also, I wanted to 100% sure that the files I got were valid, so I did the following for all of them (~500) ...
  • Match the filename with the ROM description
  • If file not found, then upload the ROM image from my v4 board to the PC (if available)
  • Calculate the CRC on the PC file to validate the match with the YCRC value of the document
  • Using the MLDL2K program, extract the ROM information to fill-up other columns

The results after 30+ hours of work is available here: 41CL_V3+_2016-08-17b.zip.
The zip file contains the following ...
  • 41CL_MemoryReference_SylvainCote_20160817b.xlsx (the source file based on mem_ref of 2016-08-17)
  • 41CL_MemoryReference_SylvainCote_20160817b.pdf (formatted printout)
  • 41CL_MemoryReference_SylvainCote_20160817b.csv (semi-column separated fields of the Excel file)
  • 64 folders matching the 64 flash blocks and containing the validated ~500 ROM images
  • ROM-INFO.TXT (MLDL2K ROM information for all ~500 modules)

Now that my baseline has been done, my next step is to do the actual update.
I am currently creating a small FOCAL program and a script on the PC to automate the update process.
I will publish them after my update is completed.

Best regards,

Sylvain

PS: Ángel, sorry for the GRAFIKS module validation delay, I never expected to spend so much time on this update.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2016, 07:09 PM
RE: 41CL Flash Update
(08-21-2016 06:47 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  My little adventure updating my 41CL ...

I have postpone updating my 41CL's (v2:2011, v3:2012 & v4:2015) for years and with the new 1024 registers module from Ángel now seems the right time to do it.
You've just imparted an important lesson to this new 41CL owner; update regularly! Smile

I've added an anniversary reminder to my calendar to update my own unit each year (at least).

Thanks also for generously sharing your work. Much appreciated.
~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
08-21-2016, 07:45 PM
Yes it can get very laborious when multiple updates are needed... been there myself!
To make it even worse I keep adding new ROM images, like just finished an update to the CLXPREGS plus a new Y-PPC-REGS module; never a dull moment!
08-21-2016, 08:50 PM
Quote:Now that my baseline has been done, my next step is to do the actual update.
I am currently creating a small FOCAL program and a script on the PC to automate the update process.
I will publish them after my update is completed.
As mentioned on Montes' page under "FILE AREA", Geir Isene wrote a FOCAL routine to support / simplify Update: [url=https://github.com/isene/hp-41_CL].
Juergen

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)