DM15L hangs
08-09-2016, 01:04 AM
DM15L hangs
Hi all,

After a few days playing with my 15L, I've found that it hangs in some unpredictable way.

The symptoms are that it freezes and no longer responds to any keyboard input. It happens when using the keyboard (in the last 3 times it hanged, I was entering a number -two times- and the other recalling the elements in a matrix). It only recovers after pressing the reset button in the back.

I've also noticed that the, say, 5 or 6 times it hanged, it was running at 12 MHz. It has not hanged, for now, when running at 48 MHz.

Does anybody suffered from this?

Regards.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2016, 01:23 AM
RE: DM15L hangs
I haven't experienced any hang so far, I also run my DM machines at 48 MHz anyway.
I had an issue with lost keystrokes before, but it has been solved by removing the battery, shorting the battery terminals of the calculator to empty the circuits, and then replacing the battery. Give that a try, in case it has something to do with it.
08-09-2016, 10:05 AM
I have a DM15 (not the L version, but it's the same firmware), and at the beginning it also froze several times, in an unpredictable way. I also noticed that the hangs happened at 12 Mhz. I don't use my DM15 very often, but since it is set to 48 Mhz, it works perfectly.

Jean-Charles
08-18-2016, 06:21 PM
After reporting this issue to SwissMicros, they answered that other users have reported similar problems and that they are working on it, although it is hard because they cannot reproduce the issue.

And, with my machine now working everytime at 48 MHz, it has also hanged one more time, so it seems that the issue is less probable at 48 MHz than at 12 MHz, but still hangs at 48 MHz.

Regards.
08-30-2016, 02:27 PM
I have encountered DM-15L crashes occasionally. As far as I remember, the calculator was always in USER mode when that happened (I was editing a bunch of 2x2 matrices each time the DM-15 crashed).

Does it make sense if we put together situations where the crash occurs? I have no idea whether the status of the emulated machine (such as being in USER mode) affects the stability of the emulation layer.

Roman
09-02-2016, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2016 10:43 AM by emece67.)
(08-30-2016 02:27 PM)rflesch Wrote:  Does it make sense if we put together situations where the crash occurs? I have no idea whether the status of the emulated machine (such as being in USER mode) affects the stability of the emulation layer.

Mine hanged:
  1. Keying in a number (@12 MHz)
  2. Keying in a number (@12 MHz)
  3. Keying in a number (@12 MHz)
  4. Recalling the elements of a matrix in user mode (@12 MHz)
  5. Single stepping a program (@48 MHz)
  6. Filling the stack with 0s (repeated [ENTER], @48 MHz)

If my memory serves me well, all these times I was using the keyboard "faster" than normal (cases 1-4 and 6) or "slower" than normal (case 5, it was a loooong keypress over [SST]).

A pity I cannot rely anymore on this machine for everyday use.
09-02-2016, 08:38 PM
My DM15 crashed only at 12 MHz, when keying in numbers.

The last few days, I have used my DM15 several times at 48 MHz, and I haven't experienced any crashes.
I don't want to test again the 12 MHz mode.

Jean-Charles
09-03-2016, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 12:24 PM by rflesch.)
DM-15L crashes while

(7) editing matrices in USER mode
(8) editing matrices in USER mode
(...)
(12) editing matrices in USER mode
(13) keying "RCL - 9" in program mode
(14) keying in a number in run mode
(15) Keying in a number in run mode

I complained about unpredictable crashes at SwissMicros some months ago and was sent a new PCB but that didn't change anything.
My DM15Ls (I have two of them) are running in the 48MHz mode because I loose keypresses in the 12MHz mode.

I do not think it would make much sense for me to purchase a forthcoming DM42 until SwissMicros have resolved these issues.

Roman
09-03-2016, 10:24 PM
(09-03-2016 09:58 AM)rflesch Wrote:  I complained about unpredictable crashes at SwissMicros some months ago and was sent a new PCB but that didn't change anything.
Did you try to remove the battery, short the battery case poles to empty the circuits, then put the battery back ? That solved the keyboard issue I was having.
09-04-2016, 01:27 AM
(09-03-2016 09:58 AM)rflesch Wrote:  DM-15L crashes while

(7) editing matrices in USER mode
(8) editing matrices in USER mode
(...)
(12) editing matrices in USER mode
(13) keying "RCL - 9" in program mode
(14) keying in a number in run mode
(15) Keying in a number in run mode

I complained about unpredictable crashes at SwissMicros some months ago and was sent a new PCB but that didn't change anything.
My DM15Ls (I have two of them) are running in the 48MHz mode because I loose keypresses in the 12MHz mode.

I do not think it would make much sense for me to purchase a forthcoming DM42 until SwissMicros have resolved these issues.

Roman

Being the offending scenarios so varied, I think that the problem should be located in the keyboard manager.
09-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Yes, that's the one common denominator. Nobody has ever reported crashes while the calc was running in a long loop etc.
Moreover, the keypress loss problems @ 12MHz also indicate that there's something wrong with keypress management.
R.
09-04-2016, 06:03 PM
(09-03-2016 10:24 PM)vido Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 09:58 AM)rflesch Wrote:  I complained about unpredictable crashes at SwissMicros some months ago and was sent a new PCB but that didn't change anything.
Did you try to remove the battery, short the battery case poles to empty the circuits, then put the battery back ? That solved the keyboard issue I was having.

Oh yes - as a result of a lengthy discussion with "David" (a SwissMicros firmware engineer) it turned out that my DM15L was running permanently in debug mode (my fault, had forgotten to turn this off in the serial console), and that caused the keypress loss issues, but not the occasional crashes (calc becoming unresponsive).
R.
10-17-2016, 08:30 AM
Although this issue is not yet fixed, I'm glad to inform that the people at Swissmicros were finally able to reproduce it (and not only in the DM15L, but in other machines, the little ones included). Thus, IMHO, it is only a matter of time for this issue to be fixed in a (near) future firmware release.

Regards.
10-17-2016, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2016 12:22 PM by rflesch.)
(10-17-2016 08:30 AM)emece67 Wrote:  Although this issue is not yet fixed, I'm glad to inform that the people at Swissmicros were finally able to reproduce it (and not only in the DM15L, but in other machines, the little ones included). Thus, IMHO, it is only a matter of time for this issue to be fixed in a (near) future firmware release.

Regards.

These are very good news, thank you very much!
(I was in a foreign country in the summer, and my DM15L crashed, and I had no computer to reload my programs, so the calculator was basically useless.)
R.
10-26-2016, 09:09 PM
Possibly related (firmware 22 available for download):

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-710...63075.html

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)