DM42L release date and specs???
09-25-2016, 05:09 PM
RE: DM42L release date and specs???
Guenter,

Euro goes farther in Canada! Welcome to Canada's version of the 'Dutch disease'. They invented it in the early seventies during the formation of OPEC.

we have perfected it, when GNP is based almost on a single source product good luck on a down turn in that products pricing.

Golden, like that. When you have time (pun) could you explain the clock function and whether it interfaces with programming as it did in the 41cx. I suspect not and that it is a realtime clock only with alarm clock functions.

GE- OFF which spell checks to 'goof'. :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2016, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 09:41 PM by Luigi Vampa.)
Does any old-timer volunteer to start a poll about the best colour on the DM42's function key?
As gentlemen, I am sure we could reach a mixed agreement at the end ;O)

[EDIT: I almost forget to mention that I am more 'worried' about the background colour of the keys and faceplate, rather than the function key itself. My liking goes for a matte black, instead of that dark-macchiato brown. Maybe this could start yet another poll >D ]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
09-25-2016, 11:34 PM
I vote for orange, but a light orange as on the 42S so it contrasts well with the black or nearly black keyboard overlay.
09-26-2016, 12:15 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 12:23 AM by Geoff Quickfall.)
I am with Brian on this:

I vote ORANGEY-ORANGEY-YELLOW but a light ORANGEY-ORANGEY-YELLOW as on the 42s so it contrasts well with the black or nearly black of the keyboard overlay :-)

Just for the heck of it, yellow on black has higher contrast in low light than white on black.
09-26-2016, 01:47 AM
(09-23-2016 05:35 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Meant to ask at the conference, is the clock simply an adjunct to the machine or is it integrated into it with functions similar to the 41?

It should be at least partially integrated with functions similar to the 41 Time Module. Free42 has implementations of ADATE, ATIME, ATIME24, CLK12, CLK24, DATE, DATE+, DDAYS, DMY, DOW, MDY, and TIME, and all they'd have to do to make DATE and TIME work is provide a glue function to read the real-time clock; the other 10 functions require no hardware support.

Free42 does not implement alarms, the stopwatch, or live clock display. If Michael and David have added those functions, too, I'd be happy to adopt that logic in the main Free42 code base. :-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-26-2016, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 03:46 AM by Geoff Quickfall.)
That would be nice!

Hopefully it is Thomas!

Geoff
09-26-2016, 03:36 AM
(09-26-2016 12:15 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  I am with Brian on this:

I vote ORANGEY-ORANGEY-YELLOW but a light ORANGEY-ORANGEY-YELLOW as on the 42s so it contrasts well with the black or nearly black of the keyboard overlay :-)

Just for the heck of it, yellow on black has higher contrast in low light than white on black.

I voted for orange, not O-O-Y, to be authentic to the original 42S. Oy!
09-26-2016, 03:48 AM
Tomato or tomato?

Just kiddin, orange as Brian said!

Geoff
09-26-2016, 03:15 PM
One of the things that keeps me from buying the earlier model Swiss Micro's products was the feel of the keys. The DM42L shown above though had very nice keys. I like the feel and action of them much better than those on the HP-50g.

Orange, yellow, ooy, isn't that much of an issue for me. A "similar-to-41-or-42-colored" shift key would be nice, but not a deal breaker.
09-26-2016, 03:36 PM
That's good to hear about the keys being good. I was wondering about that.

Regarding the M being on the Enter key, I wonder if this was put there based on the single-variable programming calculators like the 32s and 32sII.

Hopefully it will be corrected once they actually come to testing. I'm still not seeing how it would work for a calculator with longer variable names.
09-26-2016, 09:17 PM
(09-26-2016 01:47 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(09-23-2016 05:35 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Meant to ask at the conference, is the clock simply an adjunct to the machine or is it integrated into it with functions similar to the 41?

It should be at least partially integrated with functions similar to the 41 Time Module. Free42 has implementations of ADATE, ATIME, ATIME24, CLK12, CLK24, DATE, DATE+, DDAYS, DMY, DOW, MDY, and TIME, and all they'd have to do to make DATE and TIME work is provide a glue function to read the real-time clock; the other 10 functions require no hardware support.

Free42 does not implement alarms, the stopwatch, or live clock display. If Michael and David have added those functions, too, I'd be happy to adopt that logic in the main Free42 code base. :-)

Hi Thomas,

the functions available in Free42 do their job in the DM42P also. Missing in the prototype so far is SETIME and SETDATE. That of course needs to be implemented, as the RTC doesn't know the time itself.

Günter
09-26-2016, 09:31 PM
(09-26-2016 03:36 PM)Logan Wrote:  That's good to hear about the keys being good. I was wondering about that.

Regarding the M being on the Enter key, I wonder if this was put there based on the single-variable programming calculators like the 32s and 32sII.

Hopefully it will be corrected once they actually come to testing. I'm still not seeing how it would work for a calculator with longer variable names.

There seems to be a contradiction between the ALPHA keys and the ALPHA functions as mentioned e.g. the ENTER-key. There is more, like ASTO, ARCL and Pi. I've sent a comprehensive solution to Michael. Guess there is a simple solution to cope with it. This might become an interesting extension for Free42 later too.

Günter
09-26-2016, 09:36 PM
(09-25-2016 09:10 PM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  Does any old-timer volunteer to start a poll about the best colour on the DM42's function key?
As gentlemen, I am sure we could reach a mixed agreement at the end ;O)

[EDIT: I almost forget to mention that I am more 'worried' about the background colour of the keys and faceplate, rather than the function key itself. My liking goes for a matte black, instead of that dark-macchiato brown. Maybe this could start yet another poll >D ]

I'm afraid that such a poll might only be a nice way to entertain yourselves. But SM will concentrate on the real challenges. Perhaps it needs to be emphasized again: SM is not a factory, they are two people that try to achieve the best they can do.

Günter
09-26-2016, 09:50 PM
... Natürlich! it was just meant as a pastime, while waiting :O)

Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
09-26-2016, 09:51 PM
(09-25-2016 05:09 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Guenter,

Euro goes farther in Canada! Welcome to Canada's version of the 'Dutch disease'. They invented it in the early seventies during the formation of OPEC.

we have perfected it, when GNP is based almost on a single source product good luck on a down turn in that products pricing.

Golden, like that. When you have time (pun) could you explain the clock function and whether it interfaces with programming as it did in the 41cx. I suspect not and that it is a realtime clock only with alarm clock functions.

GE- OFF which spell checks to 'goof'. :-)

Hi Geoff,

concerning the clock: best is you get Free42 on one or more of your suitable devices, check what FREE42 offers. Don't forget to donate if you see it fit. And when you go to the lower end of that page, there are more informations available.

All the functions Free42 provides for TIME/DATE will be available on the DM42P as well. For now the SETIME and SETDATE need to be added as this is not included in FREE42, because for FREE42 the underlying OS provides the date and time. I can't promise anything, but I believe you'll have the DATE/TIME functions at least of FREE42 on the DM42P

Günter
01-03-2017, 05:56 PM
(09-27-2016 12:49 AM)emersone12 Wrote:  ... I personally prefer LED over LCD ...

Me too! Now we're two!
01-03-2017, 06:19 PM
(09-27-2016 12:49 AM)emersone12 Wrote:  Surely HP must be seriously considering introducing some new or revamped scientific calculators soon in competition to Swiss Micros? I asked Swiss Micros about the possibility of introducing maybe one red LED machine based on old HP LED machines, but they replied that there is "no market", which I believe is not true, as I use the HP LED simulators/emulators all the time, & I personally prefer LED over LCD. So if you are all keen on a mass produced retro LED machine based on the old HP LED machines (HP-25c?), let Swiss Micros know & maybe convince them to change their minds.

IMHO you are vastly overestimating Swiss Micros...

48SX; 42S; 15C; DM-15; DM-41; my public HP links
01-03-2017, 06:37 PM
We could become rich selling to the vast market of tens, nay! dozens!
01-03-2017, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2017 07:03 PM by Luigi Vampa.)
I do love couch gaming. 'Armchair-CEO' is one of my favourites. Besides, I play Monopoly with all the family almost every Saturday afternoon. My secret weapon... I always track all my cash flows with my old HP28S, though it's got no LEDs ;0)

Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
01-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Take an HP 19, 21, 25, 29 67 that are not working and exchange the ACT chip with Panamatiks (Bernhard Emese) ACT replacement chip. Add infrared printing capability and a GPS.

Voila, incredible LED tech for the 21st century.

Geoff

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)