Any tips for FORTRAN I/O?
07-03-2016, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2016 10:32 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Any tips for FORTRAN I/O?
Many datasets still use Fortran-formatted IO files.

For those unfamaliar with Fortran, there is a heavy emphasis on data being in a fixed column on the line.

I have tried generating such output, mainly so that I can verify my input routines before letting them loose on real data.

I am finding that the built-in procedures are not giving me what I had hoped for in this context.

As an example, suppose you want a fixed-format with d digits after the decimal point - not just useful for FORTRAN files, it could also be useful in printing out log tables.

But STRING does not seem to deliver the requested number of digits.

Code:

MR()
 BEGIN
  // WE CAN HAVE UP TO 12 DIGITS OF PRECISION
  STRING(0.1234567891123456789,6,12);
  //BUT MAY SEE LESS
   //HAD HOPED TO SEE DECIMAL POINT IN SAME PLACE
   //FOLLOWED BY SPACES OR ZEROS
  STRING(0.123,5,12);//SEE 0.123=NOT THE REQUESTED PRECISION
 END;
 EXPORT RD()
 BEGIN
  MR();
 END;

I had hoped for a string with 12 positions after the decimal (not accurately, but simply for laying out a formatted column of numbers). Instead STRING sometimes seems to reduce the requested precision - confusing 1.000 with 1.0, in effect.

Am I using precision correctly? Is their a better built-in I have overlooked?
Are there any useful libraries for such formatting?

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2016, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2016 10:28 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
RE: Any tips for FORTRAN I/O? The built-in procedures do not help?
Actually
STRING(0.133,2,12)
fixes that particular problem.
I hadn't tried Fixed format earlier, thinking it would give whatever fixed length the system was configured for - but it actually uses the "12" parameter to specify the number of fixed places to show.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)