how can you turn a .png into a .txt (for Prime Icon)
05-18-2016, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2016 01:21 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
how can you turn a .png into a .txt (for Prime Icon)
I thought that the HP Prime's ICON command was in .png format and i wrote a program. Planning to add an ICON.

However, when I dropped to DOS and renamed file.png to file.txt I typed the file out and it seems to be an unprintable binary file. Not a ascii text. I havent tried pasting it into an ICON but I am sure its not going to work.

So, how do you turn a .png into a .txt (or .docx, which my phone understands) ready for cutting and pasting?

Alternatively how can the Android Prime see a .png?

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-2016, 07:24 AM
RE: how can you turn a .png into a .txt (for Prime Icon)
A .txt file is a plain text file, it only contains characters
A .png file is an image, a picture, you can not turn it in a .txt file, it would be like transforming a photo in a written text.
Find all posts by this user
05-20-2016, 08:08 AM
PNG is an graphics file format with compression and encoding (no simple relation to pixels). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics

Maybe conversion from PNG to BMP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP_file_format) could be an attempt.
Find all posts by this user
05-20-2016, 04:57 PM
The intention was to turn a PNG into something like an ICON - I am sure a read somewhere that ICON format was similar, though I cannot seem to find that thread again. I do not recall reading anything about it being similar to BMP.

Ages ago when I last used a hexadecimal editor, that would show the printable hex on-screen, but back then all I wanted to do was tinker with a few bytes and re-save the binary. I never needed to save the hex.

Now, I am looking to save the binary as a readable hex file - and then see if that might be usable in an ICON.

So, will any hex editor save the readable hex to a file?

Is there such an editor built into Windows 7 (or can I do it on-line at the library - my own firewall has expired, so ideally i dont want to download an .EXE)?

And then finally, will the Prime's ICON read that file format?

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)