Now don't run ?
05-06-2016, 06:43 AM
Now don't run ?
Hi,
An old program from Mic Nick now don't run. I don't know why, may be help ?

Thanks.

Gérard.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2016, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 02:02 PM by Tim Wessman.)
RE: Now don't run ?
Hello,

The reason is because when INPUT(f,"...") is run, the expression you type is EVALUATED. If X=2, and you type X^2-1, on exit the INPUT form evaluates and you get 2^2-1, or 3 as your value for f.

You can either put your expression inside ' ' using the two keys [SHIFT][ ( ) ], or put in " " around your expression.

'X^2-1' or "X^2-1" will both work.

You can modify the program to be like this to avoid needing to do ' ' or " ".

INPUT({{f,[2]}}, ....);

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
05-07-2016, 06:44 AM
Hi Tim,
Very many thank you. It run now.

Good day.

Gérard.
05-07-2016, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 07:40 AM by leprechaun.)
Cool.
Could someone elaborate a bit on the reason that the proposed sollution works? Would be really helpful. I am confused because of the double list and the vector [2] which I cannot explain.

edit: well some thinking and a fresh cup of coffee made me realize that [2] is the allowed type String. Is it right that in this case the entry is converted to an unevaluated string because you specified that the allowed type is string?
05-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Exactly, specifiying string means it will not evaluate anything. Storing into F1:="<string>" is a special case and will convert to an expression.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)