41C: a test I don't recommend trying
04-21-2016, 10:42 PM
41C: a test I don't recommend trying
I'm almost embarrassed to share this one, but here it is. I was headed out to the field the other day, and realized I hadn't grabbed a calculator. I sent my young intern in to grab one off my desk. He asked which one, I said "I don't care, any one will do". He came back with my 41C (without the case), not the one I would have grabbed, but I did say that I didn't care, so I went with it. On returning from the job, I had far too much stuff in my hands, job file, plans, coffee cup, data collector, & my trusty 41C. Which one do you think slipped out of my hands & hit the concrete floor HARD? It hit hard enough that all 4 modules popped out, the battery cover/carrier came out, and the plastic piece that separates the 2 halves broke and a portion slid out. I almost cried. BUT, there is good news. I put it all back together, said a little prayer, and hit the on button. It took 2 tries of jiggling the battery cover around, but she lit up & other than a "memory lost" message, and the loss of all my user key assignments, she seems to work like a champ! I highly recommend NOT trying this little test of HP's durability claims, instead just take my word that they can really take a beating.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2016, 11:16 PM
RE: 41C: a test I don't recommend trying
How lucky was that .
For once, gravity lost ?
04-22-2016, 12:12 AM
I find myself using the app on my $24 Costco phone mostly. Hell, they won't even insure that phone since I can just get another one in case of misadventure for anither $24.

I am keeping the collection safe at home for the most part, just taking one out on occasion to show off.

I've floored a few people with the DDAYS and DOW functions. Did you know you're 10,482 days old !!!! OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
04-22-2016, 03:52 AM
(04-21-2016 11:16 PM)vk6ti Wrote:  How lucky was that .
For once, gravity lost ?

Gravity decided not to be completely heartless. I won't tempt her again.

If I weren't good at math, I'd figure I was on a lucky streak & go by a lotto ticket, but alas I've been granted an understanding of the factorial button, so I won't. Smile
04-22-2016, 03:57 AM
(04-22-2016 12:12 AM)TASP Wrote:  I find myself using the app on my $24 Costco phone mostly. Hell, they won't even insure that phone since I can just get another one in case of misadventure for anither $24.

I am keeping the collection safe at home for the most part, just taking one out on occasion to show off.

I've floored a few people with the DDAYS and DOW functions. Did you know you're 10,482 days old !!!! OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have several aps in my phone, and they all work fine in a pinch or for little stuff like figuring gas mileage, but when I'm working and time is money, I find I don't have muck luck with the keys on the touch screen.

Generally when I'm working in the field, I use the 35s, cheap & easy to replace, no great loss if I drop it & don't notice. In the office is another story, where 9 HPs live on my desk. At any moment, one or more is charging, and it's really nice to be able to cover 2 or 3 up with plans or maps and still have several to choose from no matter which direction I turn.
04-22-2016, 12:08 PM
(04-21-2016 10:42 PM)ls41028 Wrote:  I highly recommend NOT trying this little test of HP's durability claims, instead just take my word that they can really take a beating.

I remember an HP rep coming to our college bookstore and deliberately dropping an HP-35 during his presentation. We all gasped but it kept working with no problem.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
04-25-2016, 05:05 PM
(04-22-2016 03:57 AM)ls41028 Wrote:  In the office is another story, where 9 HPs live on my desk. At any moment, one or more is charging, and it's really nice to be able to cover 2 or 3 up with plans or maps and still have several to choose from no matter which direction I turn.

That's pretty impressive, and makes me feel a little bit better about the 48SX, DM-16L, and TI-36X Pro I usually have on my desk. (Occasionally accompanied by the 200LX.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-26-2016, 05:48 AM
Some 10 years ago a new computer store has been opened in the city I was living. I went there the 1st or 2nd day after and was interested in the newest then Toshiba notebook (do not remember the exact name). As the store was new open, most things were provisional, including the table the seller laid the notebook on. As it turned out the top of the table was not fastened to the frame of the table, it was just laid on it. When I put my elbow on the table's top, it suddenly came off and fell down on the floor. And the notebbok also fell on the floor of course. The sellers' face went pale, mine went red, but the notebook even did not stop work! But it was Toshiba, probably the best make of that time.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)