Evaluate Function variable in RPN mode?
02-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Evaluate Function variable in RPN mode?
If I store a function like (X-4)/X in F1, then I can evaluate F1 at different values of X in Textbook mode very easily. For example, I just type F1(0) or F1(3) to evaluate it at X=0 or X=3.

But in RPN mode I have to enter a value into variable X, then recall F1 and EVAL it. Is there an easier way? Since F0-F9 are functions in X, it would easier if they just took their argument from the stack like the built in functions.

Thanks,
Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 01:33 PM
RE: Evaluate Function variable in RPN mode?
F1 behaves like a program. In RPN, commands are typed as: COMMAND(n) where the n designates the number of arguments for COMMAND. Suppose F1(X):=2*X^2-4. If you type 9 ENTER F1(1) then it executes F1 as a program using 1 argument, namely the 9 on the stack. Unlike the other commands where one can leave off the "(1)" in the case of a single argument, you must explicitly specify "F1(1)" (from what I can tell). Typing F1 by itself recalls the formula for F1 as I'm sure you already found out.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
02-04-2014, 02:14 PM
The reason for this is that you have a function that can either take no arguments (in which case it recalls itself) or take 1 argument and evaluate through the function.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Thank you Han and Tim! I had a vague recollection about the parens but didn't remember that you must include the argument count.

Thanks,
Dave

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)