[Image: 04.21.2016-16.20.png]

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2016, 07:35 PM
RE: Prime Riddle
Pretty curious.
8)

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm.
View PNG/JPG in your Prime
04-21-2016, 08:09 PM
Beyond what appears to be an aesthetic change, does your APP menu look different, now? (i.e. Datastream access)

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
Find all posts by this user
04-21-2016, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2016 08:34 PM by KlaasKuperus.)
From your picture (https://cldup.com/YlSFF-HogZ.png) it really looks like the hardware (or at least compatibility) have changed, although that seems weird.. Did you test with an actual network or datastreamer?

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
04-21-2016, 08:34 PM
(04-21-2016 08:09 PM)Han Wrote:  Beyond what appears to be an aesthetic change, does your APP menu look different, now? (i.e. Datastream access)

[Image: YlSFF-HogZ.png]

04-21-2016, 08:35 PM
(04-21-2016 08:33 PM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  From your picture (https://cldup.com/YlSFF-HogZ.png) it really looks like the hardware (or at least compatibility) have changed, although that seems weird.. Did you test with an actual network or datastreamer?

It is all part of the riddle hahaha Tongue

04-21-2016, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2016 08:38 PM by KlaasKuperus.)
(04-21-2016 08:35 PM)eried Wrote:  
(04-21-2016 08:33 PM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  From your picture (https://cldup.com/YlSFF-HogZ.png) it really looks like the hardware (or at least compatibility) have changed, although that seems weird.. Did you test with an actual network or datastreamer?

It is all part of the riddle hahaha Tongue

Haha, got some nice testing to do tomorrow at the office. Would be nice for the stack of Rev-A models I have on my desk to change them. Wink

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
04-22-2016, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 08:04 AM by Stevetuc.)
Eried,

Just curious, how did you manage to apply Arm assembler to the Prime?
(I just checked that this thread didn't originate 1st April ;-)
04-22-2016, 08:17 AM
Erwin.

Riddle Solved!
Tongue

[Image: IMG_20160422_031140.jpg]

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm.
04-22-2016, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 12:20 PM by eried.)
(04-22-2016 07:58 AM)Stevetuc Wrote:  Eried,

Just curious, how did you manage to apply Arm assembler to the Prime?
(I just checked that this thread didn't originate 1st April ;-)

This is documented in ticalcs and other sites but you basically mount the firmware image file as a drive and then use IDA or something similar.

(04-22-2016 08:17 AM)mandresve Wrote:  Erwin.

Riddle Solved!
Tongue

Well done! So you are ready for riddle 2? Shall we say your riddle "exam"?

[Image: riddle-me-that_big.png]

04-22-2016, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 04:13 PM by mandresve.)
(04-22-2016 12:18 PM)eried Wrote:  Well done! So you are ready for riddle 2? Shall we say your riddle "exam"?

Let's do it Smile

04-22-2016, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 04:16 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Just please stay away from exam mode stuff... nobody wants an arms race. It will waste our time which means less and less productive stuff will happen. Nobody wants to go the TI route and start encrypting and trying to lock everything down.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
04-22-2016, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 04:23 PM by mandresve.)
(04-22-2016 04:15 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Just please stay away from exam mode stuff...

We know that from the beginning. We will remain out of the game. Nothing to worry about. With "exam" eried means that will be "final test", It doesn't have anything to do with the exam calculator mode.

04-22-2016, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 04:20 PM by Tim Wessman.)
I know. Just restating it for a reminder. :-)

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
04-23-2016, 07:30 AM
critor showed a modified official firmware running on the Prime several months after the Prime became available on the market, around November 2013 IIRC.

Quote:Nobody wants to go the TI route and start encrypting and trying to lock everything down.
And thoroughly failing at it, predictably Smile
TI's (and HP's) best protection is that pretty much nobody cares, rather than the fact that the code is rock-solid.
04-23-2016, 10:30 AM
It may be less of a, "pretty much nobody cares," than lack of a better mousetrap / security issue. This product is purpose-designed for educators; thus misses the whole other market, (non-educators), who want, and would probably purchase again, a full-blown, unconstrained version, built on this platform.

If there were a bridge between these two target markets to cross over that divide, I think interest would peak dramatically. Those of us less able to create that kind of firmware, and don't see anything emerging that is particularly close at this point, are left with a "nobody cares," sentiment. There's plenty of room for innovation, especially as the OEM firmware matures, to make very desirable enhancements. I would rather obtain firmware from official channels though, rather than a 'hacked' source. Official releases come from a more 'trusted' source, and there are some especially clever hackers out there, that continue to compromise IT devices, (ransomware, etc.). At least, this is what specifically drives my interest in alternate source firmware...

-Dale-
12-28-2019, 03:43 AM
How do I change the firmware?
12-28-2019, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2019 10:31 AM by Joe Horn.)
(12-28-2019 03:43 AM)wyattwong Wrote:  How do I change the firmware?

Short answer: Use the Connectivity Kit.

Complete answer:
Step 1: Install the HP Prime Connectivity Kit on a computer which has a USB port.
Step 2: Run it.
Step 3: Click Help / Check for update. Let it load an update if one is available.
Step 4: Plug your Prime into your computer using a USB cable.
Step 5: When your Prime's name appears on the Connectivity Kit's window, it might ask if you want to update. Say yes. If it doesn't ask, right click your Prime's name and select "Update firmware".
Step 6: Follow the instructions and be patient. It takes a minute or two.

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
12-28-2019, 12:36 PM
(04-23-2016 07:30 AM)debrouxl Wrote:  critor showed a modified official firmware running on the Prime several months after the Prime became available on the market, around November 2013 IIRC.

Quote:Nobody wants to go the TI route and start encrypting and trying to lock everything down.
And thoroughly failing at it, predictably Smile
TI's (and HP's) best protection is that pretty much nobody cares, rather than the fact that the code is rock-solid.

The latest TI Nspire II OS (5.1) seems much harder to crack so far. At least the people at Ndless (who are some of the best TI hackers) haven't been able to do it yet.

Tom L
Cui bono?
12-29-2019, 09:49 AM
(04-22-2016 04:15 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Just please stay away from exam mode stuff... nobody wants an arms race. It will waste our time which means less and less productive stuff will happen. Nobody wants to go the TI route and start encrypting and trying to lock everything down.
Hasn't this somehow happened with the G2 which seems to use a certificate to validate the uploaded firmware?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)