Anoying double quotes
02-04-2014, 03:10 AM
Anoying double quotes
Why is double quote (") handled different than the other paired chars in some fields like the CAS?

I like how [], '', {} works in the calculator and in the emulator, you can delete one part of the pair without problems, and in the emulator you can just insert one of them, all that makes sense.

But "" are dynamic, and when you try to split a string or add quotes to a text it gets annoying, some quotes don't get deleted (but cursor skips 1 place and deletes the first letter) or the whole string gets deleted. Why?! And in the emulator you can't just insert one quote like in previous case, even inserting it as Char gets a double dynamic version.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 12:34 PM by Snorre.)
RE: Anoying double quotes
Hello,

I think making the double quotes freely editable would cause some trouble to the parser since it would have to parse the string and build an (maybe incomplete or erroneous) expression or (the other direction) convert an expression to a string all the time you're editing your mostly incomplete term.

The current behaviour treats the outer quotes (string delimiters) as another kind of brackets. You cannot remove them without removing the whole string.
This is quite similiar to the behaviour of the matrix or vector brackets.

If you want freely editable quotes switch to algebraic entry mode.
Find all posts by this user
02-04-2014, 02:12 PM
RE: Anoying double quotes
It is totally due to the 2d editing. Basically, certain things are "nodes" and have to be treated differently. It is essentially *impossible* to reflow stuff into 2d format while editing if certain things are allowed to be removed or added individually.

This is the reason why [ ] are added in pairs, " ", and ' ' in RPN. In RPN, the ' ' is a trigger that you have 2d embedded inside 1d, and similar things can happen in strings where you can embed 2d encoded equations.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)