Button [I like] [Dislike]
04-17-2016, 08:22 PM

Please attach this feature, for the purpose of being agree or not with a publication
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2016, 01:18 PM
RE: Button [I like] [Dislike]
Please don't.
04-18-2016, 04:02 PM
I also need, at least:

[Really?]
[WTF]
[You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me?]

Smile

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2016, 10:05 PM
I don't think that is a good idea either.
04-19-2016, 01:05 AM
(04-18-2016 10:05 PM)Marcio Wrote:  I don't think that is a good idea either.

Really?

(Sorry, no button to do this so had to do it manually)

--Bob Prosperi
04-19-2016, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2016 04:39 AM by Gerald H.)
I'd P(edited after post #7)refer to see some argumentation.

A minimal composed posting would give some info on the poster & ADVANCE CHANCES OF GAINING SENIORITY!!!
04-19-2016, 10:01 AM
(04-19-2016 05:29 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  I'd refer to see some argumentation.
WTF!?

;-)
04-20-2016, 10:05 PM
(04-17-2016 08:22 PM)compsystems Wrote:  Button [I like] [Dislike]

Please attach this feature, for the purpose of being agree or not with a publication

What is the purpose? Are we really that lazy?
Are you wanting the ability to Like/Dislike a particular message in a thread - or the entire thread? What would there be - a counter showing the number of likes/dislikes? Or would there be individual messages in the thread saying "I like"/"I dislike"? That would just serve to pollute the message thread - somewhat like the "+1" messages that don't add any addition information does now.

I personally cannot understand the purpose. Would I be more likely to read it if there were a more likes or dislikes? At present I pretty much read all new posts and can usually pick out who agrees/disagrees with the posts.

I view the message thread as a conversation with back and forth between the participants. I prefer a person stating that he agrees or disagrees and then adds something to the conversation on WHY he agrees/disagrees. This is called having a discussion and not a yes/no binary conversation.

I guess by now you know I dislike adding the feature AND, hopefully, you also know WHY I do not like this feature.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
04-21-2016, 12:27 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2016 12:32 AM by d b.)
Bill;
The only reason I could see for the +1 feature is to agree with something without running up your post count. If we had that, I'd probably use it occasionally, but someday we'd have competitions for the most likes and then someone would want a DISlike key. This isn't facebook. You're probably right that we're better off without it, because the reasons and reasoning matter.

However; think how many +1s Tim would be getting today for the new Version: 2016.04.14 r10077 of the prime.
04-21-2016, 04:00 AM
If my earlier comments weren't clear, I am NOT in favor of adding this, even if it were available.

As it is, folks can take the effort to write a comment if they disagree/dislike or agree/like a post. Making it as easy as a single click to do so removes all incentive to actually have to care enough to make a comment, be it plus or minus.

As noted above, one may spend time on Facebook if you want to click here and there to express your opinions. I'd rather read them, even if they don't agree with mine, so at least I'd know why.

--Bob Prosperi
04-21-2016, 06:34 PM
This feature could be handy for different purposes than an alternative to commenting. I don't like the idea of replacing commenting with Like on a forum like this, because the forums get less replies and people spend less effort posting.

However, as a way to help moderators screen troublesome users and as a dissuasion method this was very handy on two other forums about calculators:

1) Since legit users don't want to end up with an high negative karma count, they will be more careful about what they post. Less work for moderators as a result.
2) If admins or moderators have access to rating logs, they'll be able to screen posts that received negative karma.
3) More democratic in the way that many downvotes will often cause troublesome users to stop misbehaving long before the banhammer is swung on them.

However, in order to work that way it would need to:

1) Be restricted to members above 20 posts or something, to minimize risks of troublesome users creating multiple accounts to give themselves upvotes.
2) Dislike should probably be named as "Flag as abusive" or something, to discourage members from using the voting system as an alternative to posting.
3) Board rules should disallow complains about negative votes.
4) Forum profiles or even mini-profiles should display the total amount of positive and negative karma that members received on their posts. Else, this is innefective.

And of course, this won't stop actual troublemakers (the ones who sign up only to cause trouble and have no intention to ever contribute in a positive way), but those are very rare on a calculator forum.

-Dream of Omnimaga
https://djomnimaga.music-2000.com
04-21-2016, 09:51 PM
(04-21-2016 06:34 PM)Kevin Ouellet Wrote:  However, as a way to help moderators screen troublesome users and as a dissuasion method this was very handy on two other forums about calculators:

In over 15 years on the old forum I remember just a couple of troublesome users (one being D****d Wal***e).
I don't think we need it, at least for now.

Greetings,
    Massimo

04-22-2016, 01:58 AM
(04-21-2016 06:34 PM)Kevin Ouellet Wrote:  However, as a way to help moderators screen troublesome users and as a dissuasion method this was very handy on two other forums about calculators:

Unless I am mistaken, the "Report" button at the bottom of each post already give users a method of alerting the Moderators to inappropriate posts. This has seem to work fine in the past. I don't think anything additional is warranted.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
04-22-2016, 08:01 AM
(04-22-2016 01:58 AM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  

Unless I am mistaken, the "Report" button at the bottom of each post already give users a method of alerting the Moderators to inappropriate posts. This has seem to work fine in the past. I don't think anything additional is warranted.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

Quite so!

In systems which do have voting, it's a popular choice to have only upvoting and no downvoting. It mops up the "Quite so!" posts. But as noted above, it has a small effect of discouraging meaningful comments, because an upvote is easier.

Just one more point: sometimes a good post gets no response, especially if there's an atmosphere which discourages the simple agreement. So, for the sake of encouraging people who do make good posts, it's better to allow for one or two empty but positive responses before getting grumpy.
04-24-2016, 04:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2016 04:33 AM by Kevin Ouellet.)
(04-21-2016 09:51 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  

In over 15 years on the old forum I remember just a couple of troublesome users (one being D****d Wal***e).
Oh, trust me, I did see quite a bunch since I started visiting two years ago, although it has improved considerably since this MyBB forum was installed. Maybe they were not troublemakers overall, but there are certain people who sure tried to start <censored>storms against TI users and HP programmers who makes non-educational programs such as games (the most recent example is the third-party HP Prime firmware thread).

(04-22-2016 01:58 AM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  

Bill
Smithville, NJ

My idea would actually make it so that when a post is reported, it gets downvoted automatically.

-Dream of Omnimaga
04-24-2016, 09:25 AM
(04-24-2016 04:30 AM)Kevin Ouellet Wrote:  
(04-21-2016 09:51 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  In over 15 years on the old forum I remember just a couple of troublesome users (one being D****d Wal***e).
Oh, trust me, I did see quite a bunch since I started visiting two years ago, although it has improved considerably since this MyBB forum was installed. Maybe they were not troublemakers overall, but there are certain people who sure tried to start <censored>storms against TI users and HP programmers who makes non-educational programs such as games (the most recent example is the third-party HP Prime firmware thread).

You may have noticed that I wrote old forum: I believe that newcomers attracted by the Prime section are part of the problem, but I cannot say for sure since that is a part of the Forum that I don't read.
And two years ago we already had MyBB (and thus the new forum).

I preferred when this actually was a museum but I also understand that new blood is needed so... stay in your Prime corral and do what you want. It seems guns are allowed there. Big Grin

Greetings,
    Massimo

04-25-2016, 03:02 AM
Yeah I meant the old forums actually. I thought it started approximately two years ago, so I guess I got the date wrong.

-Dream of Omnimaga

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)