Updated 41Z : Deluxe Edition available
04-15-2016, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2016 11:09 AM by Ángel Martin.)
Updated 41Z : Deluxe Edition available
Well here it is folks, an enhanced version of the classic 41Z module - with a total of 16k on a two-page bank-switched 8k footprint.

Featuring lots of improvements relevant to the basic memory handling (RCL math, STO math, supporting Indirect and stack levels) as well as high level math (Special functions, Elliptic Integrals, Complex Means, Polynomial evaluation, derivatives and integrals, etc.). No changes to the 41Z Keys overlay - so you can continue to enjoy that one on the new version as well.

Also includes complex versions of the function derivatives and continued fractions engines from Greg McClure - all in MCODE and ready to swing hard.

The module and the updated manual are available at TOS - go to the "what's New" section and you'll see it right atop the list.

Enjoy!

ÁM
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2016, 11:53 AM
RE: Updated 41Z : Deluxe Edition available
Well, I thought that I knew what TOS was, but when I went there, I found nothing about this, so I must be mistaken. I also am aware of the taboos associated with talking about TOS openly here. Could someone please send me a PM with a pointer to TOS?

Thanks. And, I sincerely hope that I've not broken any rules, or made anyone upset with this request.

smp
04-15-2016, 01:07 PM
(04-15-2016 11:53 AM)smp Wrote:  Well, I thought that I knew what TOS was, but when I went there, I found nothing about this, so I must be mistaken. I also am aware of the taboos associated with talking about TOS openly here. Could someone please send me a PM with a pointer to TOS?

Third external link in this Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-41C

HTH,

Gerson.
04-15-2016, 02:53 PM
Thanks very much, Gerson.

smp
04-15-2016, 05:19 PM
(04-15-2016 11:53 AM)smp Wrote:  Well, I thought that I knew what TOS was, but when I went there, I found nothing about this, so I must be mistaken.

I'm curious, what did you think The Other Site was if it wasn't H P * * . * * *?
04-15-2016, 06:19 PM
Although I do not understand anything of complex numbers, and despite of our different view on old HP software : I admire your enthusiasm, your devotion and your effort to constant improve your programs AND your perfect manuals!
As you know, I'm "only" a collector. I would love to build my own programs for the HP-41. I have ideas for sure enough, but I fail in time to familiarize myself with the stuff.
So I'm happy everything I get a new software made by "the Martin".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-15-2016, 07:31 PM
(04-15-2016 05:19 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(04-15-2016 11:53 AM)smp Wrote:  Well, I thought that I knew what TOS was, but when I went there, I found nothing about this, so I must be mistaken.
I'm curious, what did you think The Other Site was if it wasn't H P * * . * * *?

I thought it was: http://www.hpmuseum.net

smp
04-15-2016, 07:57 PM
Ángel Martin, you never cease to amaze us!

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
04-15-2016, 09:59 PM
(04-15-2016 07:31 PM)smp Wrote:  I thought it was: http://www.hpmuseum.net

That's funny! As long-time users here have referred to TOS by that acronym for so long, several folks actually use "TOM" when referring to hpmuseum.net (The Other Museum).

--Bob Prosperi
04-15-2016, 10:11 PM
(04-15-2016 09:59 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(04-15-2016 07:31 PM)smp Wrote:  I thought it was: http://www.hpmuseum.net

That's funny! As long-time users here have referred to TOS by that acronym for so long, several folks actually use "TOM" when referring to hpmuseum.net (The Other Museum).

Note that the only reason the HP Computer Museum goes by TOM is that it's faster to type. TOM has also been known as "The Australian Site", not to be confused with TAS (eBay).
04-15-2016, 11:48 PM
I still don't know how you find the time to keep introducing new modules plus updating and/or upgrading existing ones.
Thanks Ángel for this major upgrade and for keeping the HP-41 alive.
Best regards,
Sylvain
04-16-2016, 06:24 AM
(04-15-2016 09:59 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  That's funny! As long-time users here have referred to TOS by that acronym for so long, several folks actually use "TOM" when referring to hpmuseum.net (The Other Museum).

And there's "TAS" for eBay. You can actually say "eBay," as you can tell. TAS stands for "The Auction Site" which was a humorous tweak on "TOS"

Regards,
Howard
04-16-2016, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2016 06:33 AM by Ángel Martin.)
Monte's graciously agreed to post the new manual on his 41CL site, see the link:

http://systemyde.com/pdf/41z_Deluxe_Manual.pdf

a few more manuals (mine and otherwise) also available there:
http://systemyde.com/hp41/documents.html
04-16-2016, 07:26 AM
(04-15-2016 11:48 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I still don't know how you find the time to keep introducing new modules plus updating and/or upgrading existing ones.

We're approaching the end of the line; not much more water can be squeezed out of this rock I'm afraid - or I should say within my limited knowledge.

My next task is completing the manuals for the "ETSII Collection", the "Elliptics" and "Series & Sums" ROMS. After that I'll be done!

Cheers,
'AM
04-16-2016, 03:03 PM
(04-16-2016 07:26 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  After that I'll be done!

Done? What does that even mean?

No one believes that Angel... and fortunately for us all...

--Bob Prosperi
05-09-2016, 11:19 PM
Maybe not much more can be done in the area of math; but:
  • I'm sure the 41cx's text editor could be vastly improved;
  • string manipulation and HPIL I/O might be expanded (although I realize the intensive math users vastly outnumber those of us who have used the 41 in I/O intensive applications like I have in lab instrumentation);
  • it would be nice to have a module with more flash, or that accommodates microSD cards or something like that;
  • and perhaps an SPI or I²C port and the drivers could be put in a module.
(I realize the last two involve hardware, not just software.)

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
05-09-2016, 11:50 PM
(05-09-2016 11:19 PM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  Maybe not much more can be done in the area of math; but:
  • string manipulation and HPIL I/O might be expanded (although I realize the intensive math users vastly outnumber those of us who have used the 41 in I/O intensive applications like I have in lab instrumentation);
  • it would be nice to have a module with more flash, or that accommodates microSD cards or something like that;
(I realize the last two involve hardware, not just software.)
The 41CL board contains an SPI port; it just hasn't ever been wired up to anything. I had hoped to get a microSD connected at some point, but dealing with the FAT is probably beyond my programming capabilities. The PUT and GET functions in YFNX and the memory pointer functions in YFNF were an attempt to provide some low-level support for moving things around, but that's as far as I ever got.
05-10-2016, 12:03 AM
Great suggestions Garth.

(05-09-2016 11:19 PM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  
  • string manipulation and HPIL I/O might be expanded;
Fully agree

That will have to be seen ...
Assuming we have something like a pageable HePaX memory module of 16KWord per page (= 32KB/Page non-optimized)
and we take a small (by today standard) 32 GB SD memory card then we have a system with 1 Mega pages to manage!
Smile

+1
With only two wires (not counting VDDs), I think I²C is better adapted to the HP-41 than the SPI who need a slave select (SS) for each peripheral on the bus.

Sylvain
05-10-2016, 01:04 AM
(05-10-2016 12:03 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
That will have to be seen ...
Assuming we have something like a pageable HePaX memory module of 16KWord per page (= 32KB/Page non-optimized)
and we take a small (by today standard) 32 GB SD memory card then we have a system with 1 Mega pages to manage!
Smile

I'm thinking more in terms of file storage, to have an onboard replacement the HPIL microcassette drive or floppy-disc drive. It looks like the densest available in SO-8 is Microchip's SST25VF064 at 8MB. The Spansion S25FL512S has 64MB in an SO-16. They have 2-die one in that size for 128MB. MicroSD's density is so high there would be no risk of ever using even 1% of it, but it would be removable.

Quote:

+1
With only two wires (not counting VDDs), I think I²C is better adapted to the HP-41 than the SPI who need a slave select (SS) for each peripheral on the bus.

At first I was thinking of the wasted power of I²C's passive pull-ups (since the 41's batteries are so small), but then realized they could be external. The 41's speed would not give any risk of being held up by I²C's speed, so speed is not a reason to favor SPI. However, some things are available in SPI and not I²C, like the denser serial non-volatile memories discussed above. I²C EEPROM only goes up to 128kB IIRC, and you have to address it like four 32kB ones IIRC. Finally, I²C would allow a tiny 3-conductor (including ground) 2.5mm phone plug. The 1-Wire interface would be even more suitable in that regard, but less suitable in other respects. I think 1-Wire goes too far. I do like I²C and SPI and have used them a lot.

05-10-2016, 01:33 AM
As everyone is so concerned about stopping Angel getting 'old age' in his fingers, here is my chip-in - it may help.

Artificial-variable Free Solution Algorithms for LP Models by Hossein Arsham, deals with tremendous changes to basic simplex matrix ops, as originated by Saul Gass. Even in some of Gass' latest books there is no real update to the old 2nd world war work. Here is an update worth a module or a 4k? page somewhere. The Jean-Marc Baillard site (link shown above) has some RPN work in samples on these updates, which show 1/3rd faster routines than the older matrix ops. Arsham' work is a revolution in this field, through his 'push/pull' method.

Programmed in mCode & run on a 41CL the routine speed should be blinding? How does this sound for an interesting/insightful/advanced piece of work (no hardware involved).
DA

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)