How do I copy a a RAM-module from one 71B to another?
04-06-2016, 10:37 AM
How do I copy a a RAM-module from one 71B to another?
Hi,

I think that it will be possible to copy the 32K Math module (previousslly downloaded from Win/Emu71 using ILPer) to a second one. I wonder if anyone can help me with the (BASIC?) code. I have the HP-L gear and imagine that it will be easier to just copy from one HP-71B to another than use the IL-Per.

Thanks,
Matti
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: How do I copy a a RAM-module from one 71B to another?
Yes, you can use COPY from one HP71 to the other one.
On one HP71 (let's the destination), first do CONTROL OFF, then COPY :LOOP [TO :PORT(x)]
On the other HP71 (let's the source), just do RESTORE IO then COPY file TO :HP71.
At the end, you may do CONTROL ON of the first HP71.

To copy a whole port, use ROMCOPY instead of COPY:
HP71 (dest): ROMCOPY :LOOP TO :PORT(x)
HP71 (src) : ROMCOPY :PORT(x) TO :HP71

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the fast answer! I´ll give it a try.

Regards,
Matti Övermark , Sweden
04-06-2016, 03:47 PM
In Sylvain's 71B Compendium there's an unprotected version of the Math Pac that's only 27K in size.
04-06-2016, 04:24 PM
(04-06-2016 11:06 AM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  Yes, you can use COPY from one HP71 to the other one...

Here is a program, from 1984, that uses this technique. Assuming you want to copy a file from 71-1 to 71-2, this will copy the file to main RAM.

1. Enter this program on machine 71-2
2. Connect the 2 HP-71s via HPIL.
3. Turn-on both machines
4. On 71-1 do "RESTORE IO"
5. On 71-2 do "RESTORE IO"
6. On 71-2 do "RUN FILECOPY" or whatever you call it
7. Follow the prompts

Code:

10 ! PROG TO TAKE A FILE FROM ANOTHER HP-71
20 ! ROBERT PROSPERI  5 MAY 1984
30 ON ERROR GOTO 140
40 INPUT "Source file name? ";S$
50 INPUT "Target file name? ",S$;D$
55 IF D$="" THEN D$=S$
60 CONTROL ON 
70 REMOTE :HP71
80 OUTPUT :HP71 ;"CONTROL OFF"
90 OUTPUT :HP71 ;"COPY "&S$&" TO :LOOP"
100 COPY :HP71 TO D$
110 LOCAL 
120 DISP "File transfer OK!"
130 GOTO 170 
140 E=ERRN @ E$=ERRM$ @ L=ERRL
150 DISP "Error ";E;" occurred at line ";L
160 DISP E$
170 STOP 
180 END

The program can obviously be shortened by combining lines, etc. but I left it as is to make it easy to follow.

Also, note that the source filename on 71-1 can include port information such as "PROGRAM:PORT(1)", but it will be copied to the same port if you don't change the target filename (where you could specify a different port, etc.) but be sure you have enough RAM wherever you copy to.

While this will let you copy any UNPROTECTED file, including the MATHLEX file, ROMCOPY may be a better option for ROM images.

HTH

--Bob Prosperi
04-16-2016, 03:10 PM
I really can´t get it to work....

My intention is to copy the 32K Math module that I previously (somehow) managed to download to my 71-1 to my 71-2. I have searched the net for info about the ROMCOPY command and, as far as I can understand, it is not a standard HP-71B command, but some special one. I can´t find it anywhere.

Any help is appreciated.

/Matti
04-16-2016, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2016 03:59 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(04-16-2016 03:10 PM)MattiMark Wrote:  I really can´t get it to work....

My intention is to copy the 32K Math module that I previously (somehow) managed to download to my 71-1 to my 71-2. I have searched the net for info about the ROMCOPY command and, as far as I can understand, it is not a standard HP-71B command, but some special one. I can´t find it anywhere.

Any help is appreciated.

/Matti

This first version of the documentation has some notes by Joe Horn.
ROMCOPY Syntax

And this is what I think is an earlier version.
RCOPYDOC.txt

See the FRAM71 ToolKit for examples of it's use.

Dave
04-16-2016, 04:02 PM
(04-16-2016 03:10 PM)MattiMark Wrote:  I really can´t get it to work....

Any help is appreciated.

/Matti

The above procedure will only work for NON-PROTECTED files. If you have installed the standard ROM Image (file MATHROM size is 32KB) this will not work as that LEX file is Protected. If you have installed the MATHLEX file (size is 27682) this should work.

ROMCOPY is not a built-in keyword, it is a separate LEX file, which must be installed by copying into MAIN or PORT RAM. Once installed (on both machines) on 71-1 you could do ROMCOPY :PORT(1) to FILENAME:MASSMEM, which would copy the entire contents of PORT(1) to a file called "FILENAME" on storage device MASSMEM. Any of the port number, filename and storage device can be changed to whatever you want/need.

Once copied there, replace 71-1 on your loop with 71-2, RESTORE IO, then do ROMCOPY FILENAME:MASSMEN to :PORT(2), again using the desired names and places.

ROMCOPY can be found in many places including the Online LIF file project. If you can't locate it, ask for a copy, I can send you a .LIF file to mount in ILPer so you can install it into your machines.

--Bob Prosperi
04-16-2016, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2016 05:49 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(04-16-2016 04:02 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If you can't locate it, ask for a copy, I can send you a .LIF file to mount in ILPer so you can install it into your machines.

ROMCOPY can be found in the FRAM71 ToolKit, any of Sylvain's Compendium downloads, or Swap Disc 11.

If the goal is to get the MATHROM onto the second 71 then using your PIL-Box, simply mount the LIF file from HP-82480A_MATH.ZIP in ILPer and COPY MATHLEX. From Sylvain's Compendium, execute COPY MATHLEX:TAPE(#) TO :PORT(#) where the destination could also be :MAIN.

Dave
04-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Thanks again for the help. I´ll give it an n:th try...

/Matti

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)