HP-10BII+ One more to my collection
04-13-2016, 05:42 PM
HP-10BII+ One more to my collection
I must be one of the last persons here to get one of these. Anyhow, I got one in the mail today.

This is a blinding fast machine for such a low end entry priced calculator!
Also, in addition to the intended financial features, it sports statistics and scientific functions too. For example, the gamma and trigonometric functions are included.

On top of that, this is probably a almost bug free calculator, as referred elsewhere.
I understand that it was built using the 20B/30B as the base platform.
Really good job from Tim and Cyrille here!

Some people mentioned the existence of an Easter Egg. Has anyone found it?

Pressing PMT + ON will enter the self test mode. Using + and - to chose the test gives me the following options:
I 5crEEn
2 kEyboArd
3 ChEck5uM
4 bAttEry
5 VEr5ion
6 CoPyri9ht
7 tE5t 5y5
8 5Iou CLk

Pressing = will run the selected test and at the end of it, press = again will return to the menu.

Some self-test results on my calculator:

Test 5 Version: 7-13-2010 2
(please note the number 2 after the date, not referred anywhere in the few past messages posted here and elsewhere.
My specimen was manufactured on 2012 week 12 according to the serial number.
Could this be a later firmware revision?)

Test 3 Checksum: 244.244 (number before is the calculator number, the other is the number put in the flash to compare against and should match, as per TW info)

Test 4 Battery: 2.900 (I need fresh batteries here...)

Test 8 Set I/O Clock: SC-28,500.00 (it allows some adjustment of the clock speed if the serial communications are behaving unreliably, as per TW info)

Test 6 Copyright: COPr HP 2010 1,752.00 (Size in bytes of the internal calc structure, as per TW info)

And theoretically it could be re-flashed as long as one gets the required tools and a goal to do so.

[Image: hp-10bii%252B_001.jpg] [Image: hp-10bii%252B_002.jpg]

A final note of humor.
Appendix A of the excellent User's Guide includes a "Warning! There is a danger of explosion if batteries are incorrectly replaced" warning.
This is a little bit exaggerated, isn't it?
What can explode here? The calculator? Smile
For sure the CR2032 has no energy capacity to explode either.

More seriously, I know that some lithium batteries can deliver large inrush current when short-circuited resulting in fast heating, but I don't think a humble CR2032 can do it.
Anyhow, let's be on the safe side and install the batteries in the correct position!

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2016, 06:00 PM
RE: HP-10BII+ One more to my collection
Hello!

(04-13-2016 05:42 PM)jebem Wrote:  1. I must be one of the last persons here to get one of these.

2. This is a blinding fast machine for such a low end entry priced calculator!

1. I don't have one yet. Not really interested in LCD stuff anyway. Briefly thought about buying one as consolation for the red-dot-HP-35 that I missed on German eBay a couple of days ago. But it wouldn't have eased the pain and feeling of loss, after all, I was the high bidder till a few seconds to the end when my bid was more than triplicated ... and I had already thought that I had bid a crazy amount...

2. I will never understand what's this obsession with "speed". Any electronic calculator, even the oldest one in my collection, can calculate faster than I am able to key in the numbers and write down the results. Even the ones that take a second to compute a sine. By the time I have undone the cap of my fountain pen the result is ready to be written down. With programmable calculators I can understand - to a degree - why speed can matter. But a simple non-programmable one?
04-13-2016, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2016 06:35 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(04-13-2016 06:00 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  1. I don't have one yet. Not really interested in LCD stuff anyway. Briefly thought about buying one as consolation for the red-dot-HP-35 that I missed on German eBay a couple of days ago. But it wouldn't have eased the pain and feeling of loss, after all, I was the high bidder till a few seconds to the end when my bid was more than triplicated ... and I had already thought that I had bid a crazy amount...

Not a great loss then, no? You were outbid by much more than your perceived maximum value.

P.S: I know, it hurts. But age brought a little wisdom... :-)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-13-2016, 06:39 PM
(04-13-2016 05:42 PM)jebem Wrote:  Test 5 Version: 7-13-2010 2

In this case if you try this calculation, you can see the another bug.

I have 3-21-2012 3 version, this bug is corrected on it and the Trig Bug is corrected also.

BTW: THIS IS the best non programmable algebraic HP I guess.

Csaba
04-13-2016, 07:12 PM
The same advertising with HP25 !

"Warning! There is a danger of explosion if batteries are incorrectly replaced" warning.

Aha ?

Gérard.
04-13-2016, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2016 07:18 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Glad people (still) seem to like it! Easter egg involves the INPUT register and the factory test menu. :-)

I'm pretty sure that was just the standard "approved product warning" section that ends up getting added to everything. The lawyers approve something, and every product gets the privilege to have it.

As for the speed, the one area where this can really be helpful is iterative solving such as when solving for interest, or cashflows. Those can take quite a while on something like an original 12c. They are basically instantaneous on the new 10bII+ units.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
04-13-2016, 07:24 PM
(04-13-2016 06:34 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  You were outbid by much more than your perceived maximum value.

That was not my perceived maximum value but all I could afford without selling the house... and without a house I have no place for the calculator ;-)
04-13-2016, 08:05 PM
(04-13-2016 05:42 PM)jebem Wrote:  A final note of humor.
Appendix A of the excellent User's Guide includes a "Warning! There is a danger of explosion if batteries are incorrectly replaced" warning.
This is a little bit exaggerated, isn't it?
What can explode here? The calculator? Smile
For sure the CR2032 has no energy capacity to explode either.

You could argue that replacing the batteries with some type of blasting caps would be a very incorrect way of doing it (depending on your ultimate goal).
04-13-2016, 09:29 PM
(04-13-2016 07:14 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  As for the speed, the one area where this can really be helpful is iterative solving such as when solving for interest, or cashflows. Those can take quite a while on something like an original 12c. They are basically instantaneous on the new 10bII+ units.

Gene: Tim did a great job with this.

Speed is also very useful for the inverse statistical distributions. Can take several seconds even as fast as the 10BII+ runs.
04-13-2016, 10:06 PM
(04-13-2016 05:42 PM)jebem Wrote:  ]A final note of humor.

That got me interested in if the "Material Safety Data Sheet" for CR batteries listed anything about safety. When I randomly pulled one up, I got a real surprise:

MDS Sheet

The surprise was in the name of the supplier: ABOOM INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD.

So maybe they can go A BOOM!!

Bill
Smithville, NJ
04-14-2016, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 04:26 AM by Katie Wasserman.)
(04-13-2016 07:14 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Glad people (still) seem to like it! Easter egg involves the INPUT register and the factory test menu. :-)

I think that you told me the way to do this once, but I forgot and just spent the last 30 minutes fiddling around and have now re-found it with your clue above.

-katie

04-14-2016, 08:25 AM
(04-13-2016 06:39 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  
... if you try this calculation, you can see the another bug.

Try it, but it is works... Sorry it was my mistake... Sad

Csaba
04-14-2016, 08:39 AM
Spend some time on Markup, Cost, and Price, and you'll likely hit another bug. I don't remember exactly what it was but it has been corrected in 2012. PM me for some details if you're interested.
04-14-2016, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 02:33 PM by Tim Wessman.)
(04-14-2016 08:39 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  
Spend some time on Markup, Cost, and Price, and you'll likely hit another bug. I don't remember exactly what it was but it has been corrected in 2012. PM me for some details if you're interested.

There was also one more thing corrected if memory serves. It had to do with one of the lesser used TVM operations (can't remember which one) when set to full 12 digit display format. It wouldn't impact fix 2, or any other setting.

Glad you found it Katie! At least one other person knows it now - I can rest easy if I get run over by a bus. :-D

TW

04-14-2016, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 04:29 PM by Thomas Radtke.)
(04-14-2016 02:32 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  There was also one more thing corrected if memory serves. It had to do with one of the lesser used TVM operations (can't remember which one) when set to full 12 digit display format. It wouldn't impact fix 2, or any other setting.
It was AMORT.

Edit: Nice job on the updates, I wish you had written the 35s firmware.
04-14-2016, 05:56 PM
(04-14-2016 02:32 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Glad you found it Katie! At least one other person knows it now - I can rest easy if I get run over by a bus. :-D

While it's not the secret formula for Coke, I think that there should be a third person who knows, tirades are are always best for stability.

Gene, do you know it?

-katie

04-14-2016, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 07:32 PM by Tim Wessman.)
(04-14-2016 04:27 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  Edit: Nice job on the updates, I wish you had written the 35s firmware.

So do I. I know Cyrille feels the same.

TW

04-15-2016, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2016 09:21 AM by jebem.)
Well, after hours trying to find that hidden easter egg, I found nothing.
Peraphs I have a ancient firmware version that doesn't include it?

By the way, where can I find the latest firmware file?
Official HP channels would be out of question, I guess.
I belive that the update process would be similar to what have been done on the WP 34S, right?

Concerning the battery replacement warning, joking aside, it is a very well written Warning, really.
If we keep reading the instructions, HP clearly explain what can go very wrong in the procedure.
The "a boom" experience may happen when people don't know what to do with the depleted batteries and then just put them in the fireplace... it will not be a big kaboom but it is always nice to have firecrackers to frighten the cat during Carnival festivities.
Seriously, we need to save the planet and stop polluting everything we touch around us in name of our so called civilization (or lack of it).
Just to put my last sentence in perspective, in my neighborhood there was a dedicated container for dangerous residues like batteries or printer ink cartridges. It lasted less than a month before some unclassified person took it away. Now I have to travel to the nearest mall to deposit my dangerous residues, making me wasting my time and money.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

04-15-2016, 02:27 PM
It's been there since first release. :-D

TW

04-17-2016, 01:21 AM
(04-14-2016 05:56 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  While it's not the secret formula for Coke, I think that there should be a third person who knows, tirades are are always best for stability.

It took me even longer than Katie, so we're safe, though I still hope there is no bus incident... It's been a long time since I've searched like that, and in the end, I know and like this great little machine even more. Thanks again Tim!

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)