An ode to the 49G
04-09-2016, 06:13 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2016 06:18 AM by Lithium.)
An ode to the 49G
I recently received a nice 49G (to cover the frustration of the dead 28S), and I have to say I am really pleasantly surprised !

I have read so many criticism about it that I was expecting a filmsy thing with a TI 30-like keyboard and a rainbow mirror instead of a screen...but really it isn't.

The feeling is good, it's heavy, it looks like a blue TI 83+ silver edition when closed, and when you open it, surprise, it looks good too. The screen cover is not that bad, the scren itself is well contrasted, and you know what, I actually like the keyboard a lot! The rubber buttons plus the tactile feedback are a good combination, softer than the 48's keyboards, the tactile feedback is smoother than the one on the 50G (which feels and sounds a bit clumsy to me), and I haven't missed a key yet Smile
I haven't tried Speed UI or Metakernel on my 48 (my 48G is on it's way to become a 48G+, and my 48GX is waiting for a memory card or something), but the 49G feels faster, better, really a tweaked or overclocked 48, with a better screen.

On the negative side, mine came with 1.18 OS installed, and since the serial cable is different than the one for the 48 (why HP, why???), it will stay like this for the moment. The Enter key is, well, I don't want to talk about it. Why not a small "=" key at the bottom right of the calculator, and a double Enter key where it used to be (like the 17BII for example, best of both worlds)?
We could also talk about the lack of IR, so I can't transfer things between calcs easily, and can't print (grrr, I love printing things). It can also be considered a bit disappointing, possibility-wise after the 48GX. Maybe it's more a 48GX on steroid than a real 49. A 48GX+ ?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to talk high of the 49G. Did I mention that since nobody want them, they are very cheap (an that I have a second on the way)? I have to admit mine is a Indonesian made unit, maybe better quality control, but I am very happy I decided to try this one, after years of contempt.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2016, 09:46 PM
RE: An ode to the 49G
(04-09-2016 06:13 AM)Lithium Wrote:  I recently received a nice 49G (to cover the frustration of the dead 28S), and I have to say I am really pleasantly surprised !

I have read so many criticism about it that I was expecting a filmsy thing with a TI 30-like keyboard and a rainbow mirror instead of a screen...but really it isn't.

The feeling is good, it's heavy, it looks like a blue TI 83+ silver edition when closed, and when you open it, surprise, it looks good too. The screen cover is not that bad, the scren itself is well contrasted, and you know what, I actually like the keyboard a lot! The rubber buttons plus the tactile feedback are a good combination, softer than the 48's keyboards, the tactile feedback is smoother than the one on the 50G (which feels and sounds a bit clumsy to me), and I haven't missed a key yet Smile
I haven't tried Speed UI or Metakernel on my 48 (my 48G is on it's way to become a 48G+, and my 48GX is waiting for a memory card or something), but the 49G feels faster, better, really a tweaked or overclocked 48, with a better screen.

On the negative side, mine came with 1.18 OS installed, and since the serial cable is different than the one for the 48 (why HP, why???), it will stay like this for the moment. The Enter key is, well, I don't want to talk about it. Why not a small "=" key at the bottom right of the calculator, and a double Enter key where it used to be (like the 17BII for example, best of both worlds)?
We could also talk about the lack of IR, so I can't transfer things between calcs easily, and can't print (grrr, I love printing things). It can also be considered a bit disappointing, possibility-wise after the 48GX. Maybe it's more a 48GX on steroid than a real 49. A 48GX+ ?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to talk high of the 49G. Did I mention that since nobody want them, they are very cheap (an that I have a second on the way)? I have to admit mine is a Indonesian made unit, maybe better quality control, but I am very happy I decided to try this one, after years of contempt.
Why didn't you pick a 50g?
04-10-2016, 06:24 AM
Oh, because I already have a 50G (and they are expensive here), and finally wanted to try a 49G...read so much bad things about it I wanted to try by myself Smile
04-10-2016, 10:43 AM
After my troubles with a 49G I picked up a new one and I totally agree you this is really a "feel-good" calc.

(04-09-2016 06:13 AM)Lithium Wrote:  On the negative side...

It has lots of negatives, BUT the really big fail is to put the letter Z on the division key.
Dear keyboard layout designer, dont you hear before the family of equations contains division?
Not every equation looks like F=m×a.

Csaba
04-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Is your 49G a China made unit? If yes, I have read somewhere (don't remember, sorry, maybe on this very forum) that some units had a defective capacitor, and that replacing it can solve some problem like yours. Opening the unit seems fairly easy since the heat stakes are apparent in the battery compartment.

After using it a bit more, I agree the keyboard layout could be better. I'm more used to the 48 so I spent some time looking for keys or menus, and yes, the alpha keyboard could be better!
I also found the equation writer or the financial library to be quite slow...when compared to the 50G!

I think I'm going to take the 49G to work and play with it for a few days/weeks, and see how it grows on me. I was not convinced by the 50G (also I don't need its advanced abilities, a 19BII is my every day carry calculator) feeling, but so far I like the 49G.
04-10-2016, 11:21 AM
HP 49G gets my vote - 255 kB of ERAM compared with 127 kB on the 50g.

49G is also more economical batterywise.
04-10-2016, 12:16 PM
I agree with the OP except for the keys. The HP48s keys are by far superior, but I can live with the rubber keys, and combined with the key click, it's gives good feedback for the keystrokes.

I have both China and Indonesia and both are very nice, no rainbow effect (at least I didn't notice it).

The China one now has the 'on' key not working from time to time, needing a slight press below the display bezel.

Very nice calculator, a pleasure to use, despite all the critics, which are correct, but sometimes a little bit exagerated.

And for the question "why not pick a 50g", I supose we are in a museum, most of us are colectors, and not necessary need to have only one. The more, the better (as soon our wifes don't leave us) Smile

Cheers

JL

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)