Useful/interesting programs for an OmniBook 300
04-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Useful/interesting programs for an OmniBook 300
I've got an OmniBook 300 with 8 MB RAM and a 256 MB compact flash C:. What programs/games would be worth loading on here? This is some of what I have now:

MS Access 2.0
Lotus 1-2-3 R3 for DOS
Paintbrush
Canvas (vector drawing/diagramming app)
Terminal
Write
CPACK200
TurboC 2.01 for DOS
GW-BASIC
QBASIC
PIF Editor
Undelete
Solitaire, Minesweeper, Best of Windows Entertainment Pack
Castle of the Winds
Visual Basic 3.0
Aldo's Adventure series
Rogue

In particular, I need a good programmer's text editor, because there just isn't enough DOS conventional memory for the TurboC IDE to be happy.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 07:44 PM
RE: Useful/interesting programs for an OmniBook 300
During DOS days I used to like Multi-Edit, you can find here version 7.0.

On the same site you can find many more old programs and utilities.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
04-28-2014, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2014 07:46 PM by Bill (Smithville NJ).)
Hi Dave,

Quote:In particular, I need a good programmer's text editor, because there just isn't enough DOS conventional memory for the TurboC IDE to be happy.

That's a real problem with the OB300 - the amount of free memory is pretty small. You should see if you can get an OB-430. Has a lot more capability than the 300 does. And you can boot other operating systems (I do CP/M-86, XENIX and Linux)

As to programs, these are some I use on the 430. Most should work on the 300 also. Note: I only use the 430 as a DOS machine. Windows is not even loaded on it.

Norton Commander 3.0 (first program I load on any DOS machine)
Turbo Pascal 3.0 (second program I load)
Turbo Pascal 6.0
Dbase IV
Microsoft Fortran 4.0
Lahey Fortran
Basica
GWBasic
Qbasic 4.5
CPACK200

Z80 Cross Assembler:
ASMZ80
LODZ80
Z80DISASM

LIST (although I use NC mainly for this function)
XTALK (Crosstalk Communication Program)

TED (a very small, simple editor).

Emulators:
TRS81 - A TRS-80 Model I emulator.
MYZ80 - A CPM-80 Emulator.

As to your editor problem - I use Turbo Pascal 3.0 compiler as a general purpose editor. TED is also a small editor that works well. I use a version of TED on my Android Tablet to edit source code for the Android X11 Basic Compiler. And Norton Commander has a nice little editor built in to it.

If you use Win3.1, then a good Norton Commander Clone is Total Commander for Win3.1.

Bill
Find all posts by this user
04-28-2014, 11:33 PM
The other issue with DOS stuff on the 300 is that it runs Windows in standard mode, meaning only a single active DOS session. I found a nice editor called PFE that seems pretty C-focused. That way, I can edit in Windows, and Alt-Tab over to DOS to run the TurboC compiler. It's not too different from using Memo for the same purpose on my 200LX.

On a side note, anybody know how to recalibrate the on-screen battery gauge for NiMH AAs?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)