HP-41CL initial configuration
03-29-2016, 07:04 PM
HP-41CL initial configuration
I have a basic question regarding the initialization of the 41CL.

As per Manual, the initial configuration of the 41CL can be achieved by the three steps 1. XEG "MMUCLR" 2. "YFNZ" XEG "PLUG1L" 3. XEG "MMUEN".

In case, you'd forget step 2., the Manual says:

"If the Extra Functions have not been assigned to some other page prior to executing MMUEN, the 41CL Extra Functions will no longer be available to the user."

On the other hand, the Manual states that at a Memory Lost condition the Extra Functions are automatically mapped to page 7. Does that mean that one can recover from such an "unlucky" situation by forcing a Memory Lost condition and running the proper initial procedure again? Thank you very much ...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2016, 10:51 PM
RE: HP-41CL initial configuration
Yes, you can.
03-30-2016, 07:48 PM
Hello Gene,
Yes, I hoped so. The correct conclusion from the manual was logically evident but there still had been an uncomfortable feeling by the phrase "... will no longer be available to the user. So, thank you very much for the confirmation!
03-30-2016, 08:01 PM
(03-30-2016 07:48 PM)JurgenRo Wrote:  Hello Gene,
Yes, I hoped so. The correct conclusion from the manual was logically evident but there still had been an uncomfortable feeling by the phrase "... will no longer be available to the user. So, thank you very much for the confirmation!

Sorry. I'll have to clarify this in the manual. What I should have said was "... no longer be available until the next MEMORY LOST condition." But even this isn't exactly correct, because the YRES function that was added to the -CL TIME image allows you to disable the MMU to get back to the default state where the CL Extra Functions are automatically mapped to page 7.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Hi Monte,
the Manual is excellent!! The question on hand actually is evident by the fact that "at a Memory Lost condition the Extra Functions are automatically mapped to page 7" as the Manual says - I just didn't want to take any risk with this beautiful machine. Also, thank you very much for the additional Information on the YRES-Function - and, of course, for the 41CL :-))
03-31-2016, 09:30 PM
(03-30-2016 08:55 PM)JurgenRo Wrote:  Hi Monte,
the Manual is excellent!! The question on hand actually is evident by the fact that "at a Memory Lost condition the Extra Functions are automatically mapped to page 7" as the Manual says - I just didn't want to take any risk with this beautiful machine. Also, thank you very much for the additional Information on the YRES-Function - and, of course, for the 41CL :-))

My pleasure. I hope you enjoy your machine. I think I need to add some documentation about YRES to the manual too...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2016, 11:36 PM
(03-31-2016 09:30 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  
(03-30-2016 08:55 PM)JurgenRo Wrote:  Hi Monte,

My pleasure. I hope you enjoy your machine. I think I need to add some documentation about YRES to the manual too...

I do for sure! It's a marvel, reallyl!! Plain and simple a "dream come true machine" :-) Every additional Information, of course, would be highly appreciated! Thanks again!!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)